Author Topic: Frozen trees  (Read 1578 times)

Scotthomestead

• Avon Park, Fl, 9b
    • View Profile
Frozen trees
« on: February 04, 2021, 02:28:46 PM »

So I’m in the hospital and my wife sends me a picture of some of my fruit trees. It got down to 26 but she turned on the irrigation as soon as it hit 32 and left it on until the temp was 33. Do you think they will make it? Most of the smaller mango and avocado are encased in ice and the larger ones only the lower parts. Unfortunately I won’t see the results for a few more days. I hope I come home to some living trees.

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Frozen trees
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 04:23:52 PM »
Those trees are pretty small and most likely not going to make it my opinion

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 05:22:32 PM »
I would not give up on them yet, while very small, you might just be surprised about it bouncing back.   Best of luck to you both with your hospital stay and the health of the trees!

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 07:00:19 PM »
hard to imagine a freeze in florida!!! I visited florida in the fort lauderdale area in 2011 january and it was nice and cool but man i couldnt imagine it freezing thats insane, hope your plants make it through.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 07:04:01 PM »
That is pretty rough. I am afraid that it is a little early to tell at this point what the extent of the damage will be. If the leaves drop, that is a good sign, so is green cambium. As long as there is green under the bark above the graft, there is hope. At 26, ice is your friend as long as it keeps forming. There is a whole complicated discussion involving wet bulb and dry bulb temperatures. The layman's summary is that because of evaporative cooling when you first turn the water on, it is safest to start running the water it at 35-36. And then keep it on until the ice has melted off the tree (usually around 40). Following those guidelines will cause the least damage to the tree as long as you have enough water for the wind conditions. More wind requires more water because it causes more evaporation. If it makes you feel any better my Dad lost a door yard citrus grove the same way back in the 80s. He learned his lesson, and we have been very successful growing fruit since then.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 08:18:07 PM »
The irrigation should have been put on before that point.  Not sure it would even matter for a tree that size.
- Rob

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 09:42:31 PM »
The tree looks small enough that a bucket could've been put over it with a light bulb inside (my go-to for protecting small trees outside on cold nights), the trick of using ice to protect from frost is probably not effective for that small size.

The avocado might be ok depending on the variety, though.  Some tolerate frost pretty well. If the mango is similar size then it's probably toast, but maybe not!

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 09:58:13 AM »
@Gone Tropo- Its out once every 5 or 6 year severe winter. I am near Brevard county and have had more frosts this year than I have had in the other 8 years combined I have lived here including 2 hard frosts. Usually you can get by with incandescent Christmas lights.

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 09:57:40 PM »
How did it go
Cheers!

Scotthomestead

• Avon Park, Fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 06:04:53 AM »
Still in the hospital. My wife said they don’t look good but I’ll have to deal with that when I’m recovered. I’ll update when I’m back home.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Frost Damage is fickle
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 02:49:31 PM »
Frost Damage in Palm City, Fl
Life is fickle and so is frost damage. Too many variables to know the why or the which plant will be affected. It is interesting that a 20 ft tall seedling that bore a few fruit last year appears to be dying next to another seedling and Keitt graphed tree unaffected. The first small cluster of 3 mango seedlings were only 15 ft away and undamaged less than a ft. tall vs. the dying large seedling.
No real complaints as many trees now, except that I liked the taste of the large seedling and hope it recovers but unlikely.

Well, postimage has decided not to let images be posted today... Sooo Good day & good bye till another day.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 10:07:20 PM »
Still in the hospital. My wife said they don’t look good but I’ll have to deal with that when I’m recovered. I’ll update when I’m back home.

Scotthomestead,
Please let me know if there is anything you need help with while you are in the hospital.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 10:46:05 AM »
frost/freeze damage are best guesses and also varies with variety & your luck for the day. By far (estimate over 80%) most of the mango trees were not damaged but here are a few that were not lucky. Palm City, Fl

Scotthomestead

• Avon Park, Fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 01:35:46 PM »

Scotthomestead,
Please let me know if there is anything you need help with while you are in the hospital.

Thank you. I just got home last night. I haven’t been able to get to the grove to see the damage yet😬

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 05:01:50 PM »

Scotthomestead,

Thank you. I just got home last night. I haven’t been able to get to the grove to see the damage yet😬
Wish you the best of luck. :’( hopefully it won’t be too bad...  :'( :'( :(
Cheers!