Author Topic: Anyone have luck with sweet cherries in West coast zone 8?  (Read 829 times)

vstolbi

• East Coast US borderline 7b/8a
    • View Profile
Anyone have luck with sweet cherries in West coast zone 8?
« on: February 16, 2021, 10:37:43 AM »
The information I've found online was limited. I've seen a few never varieties that seem to be able to be grown even down in Florida but wanted to ask nonetheless. Never seen anyone with an older tree.

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have luck with sweet cherries in West coast zone 8?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 05:03:35 PM »
Why do you think it would be a problem to grow cherries in zone 8?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 08:30:34 PM »
They grow(and fruit) fine in zone 10 here if you get the low chill Minnie royal, royal Lee combo.  Zone 8 should not have problems with lack of chill hours.  Maybe there's some other issues in your area like humidity or something that makes it harder to grow. 
Brad Spaugh

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 09:20:44 PM »
They grow(and fruit) fine in zone 10 here if you get the low chill Minnie royal, royal Lee combo.  Zone 8 should not have problems with lack of chill hours.  Maybe there's some other issues in your area like humidity or something that makes it harder to grow.

We have not been very successful here in Florida 9b even with the low chill varieties. I think it is due to a number of factos relating to our humidity (ie insect borne diseases and fungal problems). I believe that brown rot has been a problem on the east coast even where they get more chill.

vstolbi

• East Coast US borderline 7b/8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 10:14:51 PM »
I don't know a single person growing sweet cherries here in NC. And apparently it's hit on miss from what I've read in forums elsewhere:  https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1826093/will-cherry-trees-grow-in-nc

How does the flavor of Minnie royal and royal lee compare to bing?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 11:46:20 PM »
They taste like cherries.  I dont know if the store bought ones are bing but its basically like what you get from the store but maybe slightly smaller fruit size.   I dont get to eat many, my kids go nuts for the cherries and eat them all.  Ive also got a royal crimson that hasn't fruited yet but hopefully this year.  We had a Lapins tree that didn't grow well and never bloomed so I top worked that one with Minnie royal, royal Lee a few weeks ago. 

My 6 year old helped top work the tree, he went and got a big scion off his favorite tree.  I'm not sure if it was Minnie royal or royal Lee but he knows which tree makes the good cherries.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 11:49:46 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 09:46:42 AM »
I see flowering cherries growing up here in humid 8b/9a Fl just fine, but never seen an actual producing cherry. My guess is that the ambrosia and boring beetles will eat the saplings to death, they seem to go after certain prunus species like crazy some years. But also, I have never even seen a cherry tree available in any nursery around here, so I think really the biggest issue is availability to the masses (or lack thereof)