Author Topic: What is ‘Mandarin F” ?  (Read 1385 times)

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
What is ‘Mandarin F” ?
« on: February 20, 2021, 02:27:15 PM »
If mandarin s.. sorry “manderin s” is presumably satsuma than what is manderin F?
According to these people’s satsuma tags they’re not even hardy under 32 degrees.

I cannot think of any mandarin or tangerine that starts with f? There are actually quite a few of these grafted trees around town labeled mandarin f and s
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 01:21:19 AM by 850FL »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: What is ‘Mandarin F” ?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 01:00:28 PM »
I’ve learned not to trust the tags on fruit trees sold at big box stores. I’ve plaoabout three Granny Smith apple trees over the years that ended up being a red who-knows-what. I’d say if you care about variety, only buy from a reputable nursery so you know what you’re getting. Rootstock variety may be important to you too if you want a cold hardy citrus.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 01:27:59 PM »
I don’t have much problem distinguishing most of the typical citrus if they’re unlabeled (doesn’t happen too much here). Just wondering what a mandarin f is though, couldn’t they elaborate?!

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 03:10:44 PM »
Perhaps mandarins, or even Citrus as a whole are category "F" of an inventory system file?

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 05:23:43 PM »
Perhaps it means Mandarin ‘Fruit’. Just a wild guess. At a big box store (C) one year they had some nice tomato plants. Their labels all said something like, ‘Tomato Plant’. I did not buy this unknown variety of tomato. Maybe that was better than labeling the plants with the wrong named tomato variety. I hope this makes sense. Both circumstances are ‘weird’ ! Tom

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 06:04:48 PM »
"Manderin" is spelled wrong to begin with... Probably just a certain nursery's way to classify their stock.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 07:24:25 PM »
If mandarin s.. sorry “manderin s” is presumably satsuma than what is manderin F?
According to these people’s satsuma tags they’re not even hardy under 32 degrees.

I cannot think of any mandarin or tangerine that starts with f? There are actually quite a few of these grafted trees around town labeled mandarin f and s

Fall Glow is the only Tangerine that came to my mind that begins with an "F." Interestingly enough, the harvest season on the tag falls within the range listed by the University of Florida.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ch075&ved=2ahUKEwiA9JqanYHvAhWiwFkKHWaPCfoQFjABegQIDRAC&usg=AOvVaw1HOLTdEz4PFqawDc_W3utz&cshid=1614125361388

When I looked at my old citrus book, Fairchild, Fortune, and Fremont are some other F manderins. All were bred in California to produce Clementine like fruit over an extended season. Of those Fairchild might be the only suspect because it is the earliest to produce. I highly doubt that any of those are what you have, though, because I have never heard of their being commonly grown here in Florida.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 08:34:21 PM »

Fall Glow is the only Tangerine that came to my mind that begins with an "F." Interestingly enough, the harvest season on the tag falls within the range listed by the University of Florida.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ch075&ved=2ahUKEwiA9JqanYHvAhWiwFkKHWaPCfoQFjABegQIDRAC&usg=AOvVaw1HOLTdEz4PFqawDc_W3utz&cshid=1614125361388

When I looked at my old citrus book, Fairchild, Fortune, and Fremont are some other F manderins. All were bred in California to produce Clementine like fruit over an extended season. Of those Fairchild might be the only suspect because it is the earliest to produce. I highly doubt that any of those are what you have, though, because I have never heard of their being commonly grown here in Florida.
Dude I think you’re actually right! I completely forgot, but had seen fallglo on a couple occasions a while back (also from RecordBuck) but for some reason I didn’t snatch one up before, and this may be a good opportunity to do so. It’s funny I was just about to comment that this mandarin F has short narrow clementine-like leaves and a more upright growth pattern (very different than the ‘mandarin S’, who have the trademark sprawly satsuma branching and larger leaves)
And I did call them up on behalf of Bill Chutney Enterprise but the nursery lady couldn’t give me any straight answer
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 08:50:36 PM by 850FL »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 09:59:14 PM »
Thank you for catching my typo. Lets go with Fallglo until we get information that disrupts our thinking.  8) If my memory serves me right the Fallglo block in a local grove did have an upright and very vigorous habit of growth.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2021, 08:25:59 AM »
Thank you for catching my typo. Lets go with Fallglo until we get information that disrupts our thinking.  8) If my memory serves me right the Fallglo block in a local grove did have an upright and very vigorous habit of growth.

Haha yes! If I remember correctly I didn’t buy Fallglo before because I read somewhere it’s less cold hardy? Have you seen evidence of less hardiness in your local grove?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2021, 08:54:32 AM »
I am not aware of the specific cold tollerence for Fallglo. A less hardy mandarin is still going to be about as hardy as a sweet orange, so that would be a non-factor for us in this location the majority of the time. If you don't have trouble with sweet oranges in your area, I am going to assume that it will do fine in most years.

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 09:31:25 AM »
I am not aware of the specific cold tollerence for Fallglo. A less hardy mandarin is still going to be about as hardy as a sweet orange, so that would be a non-factor for us in this location the majority of the time. If you don't have trouble with sweet oranges in your area, I am going to assume that it will do fine in most years.

Ehh.. sweet oranges aren’t impossible or anything to grow around here, although perhaps every 5 years or so some kind of brutal winter may knock 1/3 or so of their top canopies off.. the last bad event that did this was winter 2017 I believe.. it was either a 2-day freeze or a single night that got to 18F.. I don’t remember.. but I remember a couple weeks later seeing a large valencia whose top part of the canopy that extended past the rooftop, got burnt back. A couple large blood oranges also next to a house, their canopies got cut back to half! Same guy said he had a large honey Murcott die one year. Then his pear tree got hit with blight. Poor dude. (These were all very near the coast). About 10 miles inland, a friend’s maturing ortanique orange (not huge or anything) got hit with sleet that same winter event and got badly burnt, I think back to major limbs and trunk. I think he covered it with a sheet too..

The property I grow most things at is about halfway between these locations.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:35:58 AM by 850FL »