Author Topic: Greenhouse building questions  (Read 3855 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Greenhouse building questions
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2021, 07:40:10 PM »
Thank you!  I

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2021, 04:39:07 PM »
Thanks for the info and photos Carolyn! I’ll definitely stop by if/when I go to your side of the country!

The back (north) wall will be just a plywood backing, with 4 inch polystyrene foam boards between 2x4 studs. The foam painted white for better light in the greenhouse.

I’ll use aluminum H channels on the roof. As it turns out, it seems that I can get polycarbonate boards 6 feet wide. That would be perfect for me, as I wouldn’t need to use any other channels for the side walls, except for the U end caps. Does anyone know if the long sides of the polycarbonate are usually capped, or just left open?

I’m thinking I might still use pressure treated wood, as it’s not much more expensive (at least compared to everything else!) for a bit more protection, and definitely for the bottom parts which touch the ground. Perhaps a stain instead of paint? I really don’t know, though. What paint did you use?

Thanks,
Tomek

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2021, 07:32:07 PM »
I'd use white paint. 

The poly ends are generally sealed with aluminum foil tape at the top and breathable tape at the bottom. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 07:35:28 PM by brian »

Orbeck

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2021, 07:42:26 AM »
White paint would work, but it depends on where you are located and what sun exposure you get. I totally agree that it is big progress for the humanity and now we would build houses faster and more qualitative, but there are a lot of things to do in construction which are impossible to be executed. I saw many robot machines for construction on  and the price was very good. Moreover, there are companies that can offer them for rent and I am thinking to try to use them in my company and to see if it is worth it or not. Anyways, I have many guys that are working well and I don't know how a machine can replace such masters.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 08:37:54 AM by JakeFruit »

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2021, 08:25:29 PM »
What is with all these spam accounts being created? I know we have had some in the past, but it seems like I have seen a lot of them the past week or two.

Though, their spamming does remind me to ask TomekK how his greenhouse project is coming along?

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2021, 11:21:36 PM »
What is with all these spam accounts being created? I know we have had some in the past, but it seems like I have seen a lot of them the past week or two.

Though, their spamming does remind me to ask TomekK how his greenhouse project is coming along?

Greenhouse is on pause for now. Things didn’t work out for a greenhouse, space-wise and money-wise, as well as not wanting my parents to take care of an entire greenhouse while I’m in Poland, so I opted for a bigger/better grow tent. Hopefully will build the greenhouse in the next few years, but for now the grow tent will have to work.

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2021, 12:50:54 AM »

Greenhouse is on pause for now. Things didn’t work out for a greenhouse, space-wise and money-wise, as well as not wanting my parents to take care of an entire greenhouse while I’m in Poland, so I opted for a bigger/better grow tent. Hopefully will build the greenhouse in the next few years, but for now the grow tent will have to work.

Unfortunately, this is the worst time in almost twenty years or maybe longer to construct anything. Prices for construction materials went through the roof during the War in Iraq, but I think things might be worse right now. Hopefully, you can tackle your greenhouse project in a year or two with a larger budget, more space, and lower prices.

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2021, 07:58:24 AM »

Unfortunately, this is the worst time in almost twenty years or maybe longer to construct anything. Prices for construction materials went through the roof during the War in Iraq, but I think things might be worse right now. Hopefully, you can tackle your greenhouse project in a year or two with a larger budget, more space, and lower prices.

Exactly. We had to build a fence to keep the deer out of our vegetable garden, and boy did the prices of wood go up! Not building anything else until the prices go down, though I fear they might not in the next few years. Still thankful for all the information and help I got, and my greenhouse is basically completely designed, but now will wait for a good time to build it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk