Author Topic: White jackfruit seedling  (Read 2015 times)

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
White jackfruit seedling
« on: March 08, 2021, 06:28:23 PM »
Hey all! I figured I’d ask here where all the experts are. How would one go about keeping an all white jackfruit seedling alive. I know without chlorophyll, full albinism is a death sentence. If it’s gonna die anyway, I might try mad scientist grafting it on to a regular rootstock, then battle the healthy rootstock back so I doesn’t over take the graft. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.
Follow me on Instagram: newjunglehawaii

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
Re: White jackfruit seedling
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 07:44:41 PM »
I wanna see!   ;D
-Josh

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 08:17:00 PM »
I wanna see!   ;D

Haha oh yeah! That’d probably help...

Both are from the same fruit. One seed was polyembryonic and produced a regular seedling along with a white one. Of course, the regular is out performing the white one.
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 09:37:19 PM »
Very interesting! I don't know how to help you. If you graft it or inarch roots I'm guessing the albino part would just die off once the seed energy depletes. Good luck!
-Josh

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 09:38:10 PM »
WoW. Fascinating. Please baby her. No mistakes. She must survive!

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 09:57:39 PM »
I keep thinking of injecting her with chlorophyll...then I think of Trump. LoL. Sorry couldn’t help it.

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 10:45:53 PM »
Neat, I wonder how often this happens..

wonderfruit

• US, Florida, Fort Lauderdale, 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 11:05:30 PM »
I think if u graft it, tree can survive. Interesting something new can develop from there. It would be interesting to graft it but also let some brancheas with white leaves to grow. Maybe it gives you a translucent jackfruit
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 12:26:22 AM »
Hmm, I think even if you graft it the rootstock still wouldn’t make chlorophyll if it’s a mere rootstock, maybe try grafting this into a mature tree as part of a cocktail tree. Using it on a regular rootstock trunk might make it die, hopefully this helps out a little. Albino plants I think susually depend on nearby plants or are parasitic. Yikes, but better keep that one alive. Wonder if this has happened before?
A white jak fruit would be very pretty   ;D
Cheers!

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 01:04:28 AM »
Very interesting! I don't know how to help you. If you graft it or inarch roots I'm guessing the albino part would just die off once the seed energy depletes. Good luck!
That’s kinda what I’m thinking so gotta figure out a way to feed this thing.
WoW. Fascinating. Please baby her. No mistakes. She must survive!
I will try my best!
I keep thinking of injecting her with chlorophyll...then I think of Trump. LoL. Sorry couldn’t help it.
Haha it’ll turn orange lol!
Neat, I wonder how often this happens..
Not sure really. First I’ve seen.
I think if u graft it, tree can survive. Interesting something new can develop from there. It would be interesting to graft it but also let some brancheas with white leaves to grow. Maybe it gives you a translucent jackfruit
I hope so! It would be really interesting to see if it fruited!
Hmm, I think even if you graft it the rootstock still wouldn’t make chlorophyll if it’s a mere rootstock, maybe try grafting this into a mature tree as part of a cocktail tree. Using it on a regular rootstock trunk might make it die, hopefully this helps out a little. Albino plants I think susually depend on nearby plants or are parasitic. Yikes, but better keep that one alive. Wonder if this has happened before?
A white jak fruit would be very pretty   ;D

That’s kinda what I was thinking. Graft it on to a established plant with some green  leaves to help support it. Since there’s two, maybe I’ll try to graft one and see how the other does by itself for awhile. I’d like it a little bigger before I attempt anything but I’ve never really grafted a jackfruit before.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far!

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 04:34:40 AM »
I think as long as it’s grafted to a healthy green Jakfruit, the albino will survive. The chlorophyll uptake of the host plant should keep it healthy. Just like zygocactus grafted onto Hylocereus rootstock. The zygocactus needs the green rootstock to survive.🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 04:14:52 AM »
I think as long as it’s grafted to a healthy green Jakfruit, the albino will survive. The chlorophyll uptake of the host plant should keep it healthy. Just like zygocactus grafted onto Hylocereus rootstock. The zygocactus needs the green rootstock to survive.🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks for the tip! I had no idea that’s what you do for the zygocactus. I’ll give it a shot.

Kyle

palmtreeluke

• SW Florida
    • View Profile
    • Green Planet Farm
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 10:34:21 PM »
Ive had albino jackfruit seedlings before, they die once the seed stop feeding them since they have no way to photosynthesize.
Home of the Chewy Purple Sugar Apple Annona squamosa 'Isan Indigo'
www.greenplanetfarm.com

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 10:56:54 PM »
Ive had albino jackfruit seedlings before, they die once the seed stop feeding them since they have no way to photosynthesize.

Yeah, that’s why I’m just experimenting with them. Someone suggested trying an approach graft so I’m kinda leaning in that direction.

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 04:53:51 AM »

Whelp, here goes nothing... I might try something else with the bigger white one that I have but figured these guys already share the same seed. 🤞

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 09:21:09 AM »
Any updates on the white jackfruit?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 03:37:27 PM »
New_Jungle, I would graft your larger albino plant to an adult tree that is healthy. I had similar citrus plants where they were albino/white branches. It will survive longer if you graft it before it starts go die off as is. I have a few grafted albino/white citrus that has survived years and also gave one fruit (all white) which is growing now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk