Author Topic: When to pick those guavas ?  (Read 1630 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
When to pick those guavas ?
« on: January 09, 2022, 08:18:26 AM »
Hi all !! Are theese babies close to ripening ?? Asking since the mother fruit that i got the seeds from was bought green like they are now, it was pinkish inside but was probably way underripe. Am i wating for a all yellow colour on the fruits? They have began to get paler green/ yellow but are still hard and i do not sence any fragrance to them. Thank for the feedback.

Iceman716238

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
Re: When to pick those guavas ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 03:11:36 PM »
If these are pinks, wait until the skin turns somewhat yellow, has a strong guava smell, and just a little give to touch.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 03:19:42 PM »
If these are pinks, wait until the skin turns somewhat yellow, has a strong guava smell, and just a little give to touch.
Thanks a bunch !! Will look for those signs,  will update this tread when the fruits ripen.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 02:24:37 AM »
Heres one of the fruits of the same plant. What can i say, the size is gigantic ,if weighted  430 grams. Its way bigger then the store bought fruit i germinated the plant from.
So i think i picked it way underripe, so did i do with 3 fruits from the plant. The first one was basically like a potato, the second and third were kinda getting there ,but not guite.
I have two more which i will leave till verry soft and aromatic.

Interestingly ,i started many plants from the store bought guava 2 years ago, i'm left with 3 now, 2 in the gh and one potted inside home. The two ones in the gh fruited this year, but the other plant had smaller pink fruit, whereas this one is clearly white... that said the fruit from the pink one were very nice, aromatic, soft ,sweet and could have been better also, but as a novice and impatient , i tend to harvest fruits while in their "vegetable" stage....

Anyway , if the white one ends up being just big and not flavorefull i will top work it with the pink one, or give it a year or two to fix itself....
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 02:28:47 AM by Plantinyum »

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 10:07:39 AM »
very nice fruit. what is the container size you're using?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 10:59:42 AM »
very nice fruit. what is the container size you're using?
The fruiting ones are planted inground in my greenhouse. I have two additional plants that are potted in ordinary buckets of cheese, prolly around seven litters. They are in a heavy need of tranplanting to bigger pots, so that is what i should really do come spring.
I really like the size of the fruit for sure, only i really hope the taste good ones i leave them ripen properly.
Also this is the first fruiting of the plant and jenerally ive red that fruit gualities evolve as the plant matures, fingers crossed 🤞....

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 12:46:52 PM »
Plantinyum, I have a guava tree which is over 8ft, has fruits very similar in size and looks like yours. It has no taste, like a pear with no sweetness. It makes for a good rootstock. I suggest you start grafting a named variety on a few of your branches. I top worked my tree with the seedless guava so hope it tastes better.

seng

• ManOfFruits
    • USA, Ca, San Diego,92126, Mira Mesa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 05:24:47 PM »
Plantinyum, you might have a hard, crunchy Asian type guava.  It will not going to be soft, smelly, nor sweet.  Diabetic people love them because of less sugar content and help regulate sugar level.  Most Asian loves them because of its crunchiness.  They eat them with plum power mixing with grind chilli.  They also eat them with chilli, salt, and a little sugar mix.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2022, 05:38:41 PM »
To clarify the confusion about the seedling variation, I believe Psidium guavaja is not true to seed and most plants are incredibly complex genetically. Likely was grown somewhere with multiple varieties and you have a (maybe less than stellar) hybrid

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2022, 07:19:01 AM »
Plantinyum, I have a guava tree which is over 8ft, has fruits very similar in size and looks like yours. It has no taste, like a pear with no sweetness. It makes for a good rootstock. I suggest you start grafting a named variety on a few of your branches. I top worked my tree with the seedless guava so hope it tastes better.
i am thinking of grafting it with scions from the other seedling, which fruit i liked alot, but i am now giving the final 2 fruits a chance to ripen properly so will se.....the taste wasnt bad or smth, to me it tasted like an spongy apple, the texture was strange in a way  .

Plantinyum, you might have a hard, crunchy Asian type guava.  It will not going to be soft, smelly, nor sweet.  Diabetic people love them because of less sugar content and help regulate sugar level.  Most Asian loves them because of its crunchiness.  They eat them with plum power mixing with grind chilli.  They also eat them with chilli, salt, and a little sugar mix.
they were kinda sweet and aromatic, yet i sence they were nor ripe yet still, holding on the last ones and will report.
I like to eat my fruit as a fruit, but i may try different recipes next year if i decide to not top work the plant....

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2022, 07:20:21 AM »
To clarify the confusion about the seedling variation, I believe Psidium guavaja is not true to seed and most plants are incredibly complex genetically. Likely was grown somewhere with multiple varieties and you have a (maybe less than stellar) hybrid
yeah i was surpriced to see the variation between the two, one deep pink, the other white, both from the same fruit ....go figure haha

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2022, 02:25:30 PM »
I can always smell the ripe fruit before I see them... very sweet fragrance... and they will easily detach from the branch.

Kevin

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 01:32:44 AM »
I can always smell the ripe fruit before I see them... very sweet fragrance... and they will easily detach from the branch.

Kevin
yeah, the pink ones i harvested smelled exeptionally well, i have never had a fruit that smelled so pleasant, exept jackfruit maybe, but jackfruit i didnt like tastewise , the pink guavas i enjoied quite a bit....

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2022, 05:49:04 AM »
So yesterday i ate the last fruit of the sumo type guava plant, it was a late to set fruit that was prolly half the size of the big ones. Yet it was the best one from all the fruit i ate from this particular plant, was sweeter, juicier and softer in general ,even thought it looked greener than the past ones.
I feel that the huge ones had some kind of a defect , or maybe the huge size didnt let them build up their flavour pottential, i hope this year to have a more abundant crop, so i can get sick of them and let some fruit hang on the plants till fully mature, i cant control myself to not pick them prematurely when there are just a few ... :'( ;D

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2022, 12:16:14 PM »
Speaking from colder climate areas only.. But I find the larger guavas that ripen during the winter months aren't very flavourful/sweet compared to the ones in the summer/fall even though they might look the same. so I'm sure you will be even more pleased when you harvest them again later in the year.

The smaller ones though I find don't change much in taste.

So yesterday i ate the last fruit of the sumo type guava plant, it was a late to set fruit that was prolly half the size of the big ones. Yet it was the best one from all the fruit i ate from this particular plant, was sweeter, juicier and softer in general ,even thought it looked greener than the past ones.
I feel that the huge ones had some kind of a defect , or maybe the huge size didnt let them build up their flavour pottential, i hope this year to have a more abundant crop, so i can get sick of them and let some fruit hang on the plants till fully mature, i cant control myself to not pick them prematurely when there are just a few ... :'( ;D

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2022, 02:32:38 PM »
Speaking from colder climate areas only.. But I find the larger guavas that ripen during the winter months aren't very flavourful/sweet compared to the ones in the summer/fall even though they might look the same. so I'm sure you will be even more pleased when you harvest them again later in the year.

The smaller ones though I find don't change much in taste.

thanks for sharing your experience, hopefully they get better and also set fruit earlier this year.
It was a 7-8 month wait for those to ripen.....