Author Topic: Terminalia FRUIT (not nut) 5 seeds for $25us minimum buy  (Read 2346 times)

DANNYINOZ

• australia queensland cairns
    • View Profile
Terminalia FRUIT (not nut) 5 seeds for $25us minimum buy
« on: April 10, 2021, 10:34:29 PM »

looks like avocado  but its a terminalia possibly solomonensis or megalocarpa   also has green flesh. eaten raw also eaten cooked  .people like this fruit !
 qik grower ,4" fruit .over 100mm
comes from the solomons islands st lucia etc

« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 07:41:48 PM by DANNYINOZ »

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Terminalia FRUIT (not nut) 10 seeds for $40us minimum buy
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 02:28:27 AM »
Hi, do you know scientific name?
What is flavor of fruit?
Thanks

DANNYINOZ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 07:54:59 AM »
we cant lock in name cos none of em fully fit.....but its real
could be megalocarpa
or solomonensis
waiting for fruit to naturally ripen
has some taste of canistel
will add more info as it comes

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 06:40:57 AM »
Danny it is Terminalia megalocarpa but not just the garden variety. It is a selection from the Solomon Islands known for its yellow flesh. i presume the nut is edible and much like okari nut. We just need a volunteer with a supply on hand to eat one and report back if they survive the ordeal.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Terminalia FRUIT (not nut) 5 seeds for $20us minimum buy
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2021, 09:11:30 PM »
Danny have you tried the nut kernel inside the seeds yet? I think this fruit is something special with a savoury avocado style yellow flesh that tastes nice and if you can eat the nut it would be a real bonus. This is a rare variety of a rare species and I suspect we will be hearing more about it in future.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 09:23:58 PM »

The nut inside is about the size of a Brazil Nut

posci35

• Malayu Peninsular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 12:59:58 AM »
Danny it is Terminalia megalocarpa but not just the garden variety. It is a selection from the Solomon Islands known for its yellow flesh. i presume the nut is edible and much like okari nut. We just need a volunteer with a supply on hand to eat one and report back if they survive the ordeal.

Hi, do you have some okari nut ?

DANNYINOZ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 05:24:25 PM »
Danny have you tried the nut kernel inside the seeds yet? I think this fruit is something special with a savoury avocado style yellow flesh that tastes nice and if you can eat the nut it would be a real bonus. This is a rare variety of a rare species and I suspect we will be hearing more about it in future.

hi mike only just saw this post today...i havnt tried drying or roasting the seed but we got together and drew straws to see who the universe wanted to ingest it...guess what in your absence u drew the short straw....what are the odds on that ! ......i await with baited breath news of your xperience !!

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 09:19:31 AM »
x
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 10:08:53 AM by Vernmented »
-Josh

DANNYINOZ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 07:56:11 PM »

JOSH   im more inclined to believe its a cross of megalacarpa with edible flesh and hopefulli edible seed nut...i will enquire
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 05:52:28 PM by DANNYINOZ »

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 03:03:16 AM »

[/quote]

posci, the okari has a delicious seed but I have not have a single okari seed germinate out of 50 seeds a got from a local. Tried different methods, scaring, half cracking the shell and just leaving. This is from a okari that is grafted onto AU beach almond stock with no other okari tree's around, maybe it get's pollinated by the neighbouring beach almonds and the seeds don't germinate becuase of that or maybe it's becuase it pollinates itself and ofspring not viable. I am not sure.
I am saying this to just let you know that there could be difficulties germinating them. Seeds from a beach full of okari could possibly be more fertile.

Ill get a grafted one soon and try and get some other okari mates and maybe then i'll have viable seeds in the future.

CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

posci35

• Malayu Peninsular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2021, 03:07:53 AM »

posci, the okari has a delicious seed but I have not have a single okari seed germinate out of 50 seeds a got from a local. Tried different methods, scaring, half cracking the shell and just leaving. This is from a okari that is grafted onto AU beach almond stock with no other okari tree's around, maybe it get's pollinated by the neighbouring beach almonds and the seeds don't germinate becuase of that or maybe it's becuase it pollinates itself and ofspring not viable. I am not sure.
I am saying this to just let you know that there could be difficulties germinating them. Seeds from a beach full of okari could possibly be more fertile.

Ill get a grafted one soon and try and get some other okari mates and maybe then i'll have viable seeds in the future.
[/quote]

Thank you for information

Andreas Gia

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Terminalia FRUIT (not nut) 5 seeds for $25us minimum buy
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2021, 12:41:22 PM »
I want to praise Danny for a second. I received my package from him yesterday which took three weeks (which I thought was a good amount of time). Ordered 8 seeds and all 8 seeds germinated in transit. Everything was packaged very professionally. First time ordering from him and I will be be a repeat customer. I’d recommend doing business with him

DANNYINOZ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2021, 07:26:03 AM »
I want to praise Danny for a second. I received my package from him yesterday which took three weeks (which I thought was a good amount of time). Ordered 8 seeds and all 8 seeds germinated in transit. Everything was packaged very professionally. First time ordering from him and I will be be a repeat customer. I’d recommend doing business with him
thank you for your generous comments....postage here in australia is like everything else in australia more expensiv than it should be !
its the virus again thats making postage longer than before...less planes flying means mail takes at least twice as long .....sigh ::)

Colombo973

• French Guiana - South America
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 10:06:58 PM »
After a month (normal mail delivery time with that damned covid crisis), seeds arrived in a perfect shape, already sprouted.
Danny do a great job in packing and sending seeds !
I can't wait to taste that fruit.

DANNYINOZ

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 01:42:50 AM »
After a month (normal mail delivery time with that damned covid crisis), seeds arrived in a perfect shape, already sprouted.
Danny do a great job in packing and sending seeds !
I can't wait to taste that fruit.

thanx mr COLOMBO   glad to disperse the plants

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 08:35:04 AM »
They are worthwhile Richard and I ate some at Danny's house. Danny I know where the mother tree is now. Have you seen it and is it big?

DANNYINOZ

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 08:04:40 AM »
They are worthwhile Richard and I ate some at Danny's house. Danny I know where the mother tree is now. Have you seen it and is it big?
theres 2 trees both bearing one bears erlier then the other ...huge crop this year dont know if they bear heavily each year.
cant remember how big the trees are ...approx 5 or 6 m. we can go for a drive to see them if u want
it was amazing to hear multiple fruts dropping as we were collecting seeds

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2021, 11:05:27 PM »

I even enjoy the bigger beach almond fruit with green/yellow/creme colored flesh and red close to the seed so this one could be quite good then!

Here's an image of two that I have sampled, have tasted a small blue one also but it's not good to eat at all.
 The seed of the purple one is smaller and flesh is not good to eat.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 02:32:19 AM by cassowary »
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange