Author Topic: Prune Lime lead  (Read 563 times)

soeren

• Denmark
    • View Profile
Prune Lime lead
« on: April 14, 2021, 04:43:48 PM »
I recently got myself a lime tree, it has been growing fast and especially one lead is getting quite long.

Iv read a few articles about citrus pruning, but everytime I grab my pruning shears I get second thougts as to where to make the cut. This is my first citrus and pruning it makes me nervous as most articles didnt have pictures, which means I have a feeling about what to cut, but not necessarily where.

Should I cut this lead at all, and if yes where, 1, 2 or 3?

Thank you in advance  :D

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: Prune Lime lead
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 05:32:04 PM »
If you want your tree to grow fast and taller, don't cut the only branch you have that is healthy and growing well.
Instead, put a pole/post and tie/wrap this branch to shape it and get it growing straight up.

Once your tree reaches the height you want, then cut the very tip (3-4 inches) off the top to stop it from growing taller.
By the time it reaches your desired height, you might have some other side branches which needs a little trimming as well.

citrange

• UK - 15 miles west of London
    • View Profile
    • Home Citrus growers
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 11:31:57 AM »
Your lime is grafted quite high for a potted plant, but in the photos the graft is obscured by foliage. I mention this because the fast-growing shoot could possibly originate from below the graft point, and if so it is the rootstock and needs removing completely. Otherwise, it makes little difference where you cut it - or let it grow as suggested. Just depends on size and shape of tree you prefer. However, do make the cuts just a little above a leaf node, not leaving stubs several inches long which will never form new shoots or leaves.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 07:24:21 PM »
citrange, you have good eyes. I agree with you the photo doesn't show where the exact graft is since it does look like the graft union might be hidden by the leaves in the photo.

Soeren, can you take a picture of the tree with the leaves out of the way so we can actually see where the trunk of the tree and the branches are grafted (union). Then we can identify if your fast growth shoot is part of your rootstock portion or the grafted scion portion.