Author Topic: Determine the variety of blueberries and care for them  (Read 853 times)

tropic_tester

• Bay Area, CA: USDA10A | Sunset17 | Heat3
    • View Profile
Determine the variety of blueberries and care for them
« on: April 21, 2021, 03:01:02 PM »
I have three blueberry plants that my dad purchased a while ago. He said he got at least two of them because they pollinate each other well but he doesn't remember any of the variety names for the three. We've never gotten much blueberries from any of them and haven't really tended to them much. As I'm getting into gardening I want to get more fruit, how should I best take care of them and learn what varieties they are? This year at least two of them have a lot of flowers, though some of the tips of the stems have dried up. Not sure why.

Two of them have been placed on opposite ends of a wine barrel planter. And the third is fairly close in a smaller barrel container. I'm thinking I might have to place them in their own containers eventually, but I don't have much space. So if I have to separate the plants from the wine barrel, what's the smallest container I can give each one? 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 02:09:08 PM by tropic_tester »

containerman

• Modesto,CA Area 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Determine the variety of blueberries and care for them
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 10:29:35 PM »
varieties for your zone and chill hours required will determine which ones will be productive in your growing zone.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 11:50:49 PM »
The biggest thing I learned from trying to grow blueberries is be sure to add a lot of sulfur to keep the ph down... and that birds will eat all the blueberries before you can  :(

tropic_tester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 03:34:45 PM »
Jokes on the birds, I don't have any blueberries haha. But I'll check and see if I need to add sulfur. We got some more flowers this year, so maybe the fact that I'm tending to it more is helping.

tropic_tester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 01:47:59 AM »
I'm getting tip die back on the canes of my plants that have flowers and berries forming. Is this a nutritional issue or is it a pest?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 01:51:46 AM by tropic_tester »

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 03:50:01 AM »
The tip die backs u are getting are normal, same with mine plants. When u have a part of stem that does not have any growing bud in its end to forse sap to flow trough the stem, u get die back on the twig.
I see this is the case with your plants, all other parts look healthy to me ....

tropic_tester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 03:43:15 PM »
That's good to hear, it's my first time more paying attention to my blueberry plants.

After the berries ripen and are picked, should to prune the dead parts off or can I leave it alone? Should I provide it fertilizer to replenish nutrients?

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 04:09:34 PM »
That's good to hear, it's my first time more paying attention to my blueberry plants.

After the berries ripen and are picked, should to prune the dead parts off or can I leave it alone? Should I provide it fertilizer to replenish nutrients?
yes u can prune the twigs that have fruited this year , the new growth starts behind the fruit clusters , just cut next to the base of the new shoots.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk