Author Topic: Are asimina's affected by juglone in walnut  (Read 1959 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Are asimina's affected by juglone in walnut
« on: May 09, 2021, 12:15:19 AM »
Just cleared one planting spot under my big walnut tree, its like 4 meters away from the base of the tree but is still somewhat shaded by the canopy. I want to plant an asimina at the site and was wondering if someone has experience with asimina planted  close to wallnut (juglans regia ).

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Are asimina's affected by juglone in walnut
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 10:53:20 AM »
i do not have personal experience, though both Black Walnut and Asimina triloba are endemic/wild here. They grow together in the wild. I know at least one grower who intentionally planted Asimina triloba and black walnut together.

i've also read in several places that Asimina trilboa is not affected by juglone. One person even used black walnut hulls as mulch around his Asimina triloba.

So, I would say - go for it!

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 01:16:01 AM »
i do not have personal experience, though both Black Walnut and Asimina triloba are endemic/wild here. They grow together in the wild. I know at least one grower who intentionally planted Asimina triloba and black walnut together.

i've also read in several places that Asimina trilboa is not affected by juglone. One person even used black walnut hulls as mulch around his Asimina triloba.

So, I would say - go for it!
thanks for the reply, I will plant the tree in a few days, already removed a few big branches off the walnut to let some more light to my plants that are growing underneath .

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 08:44:12 AM »
We have planted 2 decades ago 5 Pawpaw trees 45 to 50 feet away from black walnut trees on either side.So also our annual vegetable garden! No problems for tomatoes either!. Please note that we protected the young pawpaw plants for three to four years from direct sunlight. 

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 04:48:10 PM »
We have planted 2 decades ago 5 Pawpaw trees 45 to 50 feet away from black walnut trees on either side.So also our annual vegetable garden! No problems for tomatoes either!. Please note that we protected the young pawpaw plants for three to four years from direct sunlight.
thanks for the input , sounds like they aren't affected by the chemical, my walnut is also juglans regia, not juglans nigra for which I have read that it contains higher amount off the chem. .

I have found a seller who sells around 4-5 years old plants, big ones.
I also did shade cloth the first year on my 40 cm plants, they did not do very well with it, had yellowish leaves till I removed the shade cloth. Here they handled the heat and sun fine, with regular watering!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 04:50:26 PM by Plantinyum »

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 08:27:06 AM »
We have an English walnut / Carpathian ( Jugulans regia ) tree about 200 feet or so away from the pawpaws..

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 09:41:44 PM »
My paw paw trees are planted right under the canopy of a huge black walnut that has killed apples, cherry, dogwood, witch hazel, but my paw paws thrive under it and produce loads of fruit every year. Red bud and native wisteria and black raspberry and wine berry, sassafras, locust, and poncirus do well under it too, as does day lily and hostas.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 03:51:50 AM »
My paw paw trees are planted right under the canopy of a huge black walnut that has killed apples, cherry, dogwood, witch hazel, but my paw paws thrive under it and produce loads of fruit every year. Red bud and native wisteria and black raspberry and wine berry, sassafras, locust, and poncirus do well under it too, as does day lily and hostas.
super, thanks for your review on the subject, the plant I planted does not show any signs of stress by now, hopefully it'll do ok for me there....

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2021, 08:28:02 PM »
My pawpaws are too far away from my black walnuts for me to give a definitive answer. That being said, I have been rather surprised at how much will grow near walnuts. My grandfather's tomatoes were planted fairly close to but not under a very large walnut. They thrived when they should have probably been instantly killed. I have had native black cherries and dogwoods grow with no issues near walnuts. The plants that have performed badly under my walnuts have been sun-loving plants that have been shaded out by those walnuts' thick canopies. However, I do not push my luck with potential juglone poisoning; walnut leaves and fruit are the only things in my yard which I rake up and dispose of in my woods instead of using for mulch or compost.

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 09:07:41 PM »
Penn State lists Asimina as resistant (at the very leas) to Juglone:
https://extension.psu.edu/landscaping-and-gardening-around-walnuts-and-other-juglone-producing-plants

My own pawpaws seem to be happier the closer they are to the walnut tree line, but that may just be due to the extra shade at this stage of their growth.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 02:30:25 PM »
Penn State lists Asimina as resistant (at the very leas) to Juglone:
https://extension.psu.edu/landscaping-and-gardening-around-walnuts-and-other-juglone-producing-plants

My own pawpaws seem to be happier the closer they are to the walnut tree line, but that may just be due to the extra shade at this stage of their growth.
yet another evidence in support that the species is not affected by the chemical. Now i think that the problem in my cqse will be that th3 wallnut will steal the nutrients fron the root zone of the paw paw . My plant is planted right at the age of the canopy of the wallnut, so its within the root perimeter of the tree for sure . At least it has some shade till it get a little bigger at which time i will cut some large limbs of the wallnut to let sunlight in.