Author Topic: Tasting “Luc’s” Mexican Garcinia - Female tree with large fruit  (Read 3600 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Tasting “Luc’s” Mexican Garcinia - Female tree with large fruit
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 05:24:17 PM »
The biological purpose of male and hermaphrodite flowers on the same tree is also questionable and I think male and female are more likely. I think the naming conventions probably dont distinguish between a tree producing all hermaphrodite and hermaphrodite and male flowers. The difference between hermaphrodite and female flowers is likely to be subtle and relate to sterile male parts on the female flower.
Biological purpose of male + hermaphrodite seems pretty clear to me, and that is production in solitary trees, which would otherwise bear no fruits.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2021, 05:49:59 PM »
Not what I was getting at really. Does that level of clarity extend to reasoning why a hermaphrodite tree with predominantly male flowers would 'choose' to produce bisex flowers rather than female flowers as the second flower type? Female flower production would equally address the isolation and there is no need for extra pollen production.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2021, 04:54:29 AM »
Not what I was getting at really. Does that level of clarity extend to reasoning why a hermaphrodite tree with predominantly male flowers would 'choose' to produce bisex flowers rather than female flowers as the second flower type? Female flower production would equally address the isolation and there is no need for extra pollen production.
I don't know, but it seems for some reason it's easier for male trees to suddenly produce some hermaphrodite flower than to produce female flowers. Look, for example, at what male papaya trees do. Ever seen a male papaya tree suddenly produce female flowers? But they can suddenly start producing hermaphroditic flowers. Similar in garcinias. Lone male imbe (G. livingstoneii) will sometimes produce hermaphroditic flowers and set fruits.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2021, 04:27:42 PM »
Good point Oscar and it may be physiologically harder for that tree to produce female flowers. Male papaya fruit are different from those from  bisex tree being seedless and having diminished taste. Maybe the flower is not a regular bisex one also. Back to Garcinias, I have been a bit frustrated that my russell and luc  have been gender bending or not producing good crops of full sized fruit. Makes me wonder if like some reptiles their environment rather than genetics is driving sex determination.

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2021, 07:43:54 AM »
The fruit keep dropping from the tree, found 3 on the ground this morning.  They are yellow, but still pretty hard and I think not yet ripe.  I’ll probably open one today as a few people are stopping by. The others most likely I’ll let sit and hopefully they ripen up.  Only 2 left on the tree.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2021, 06:04:37 PM »
I gave one to a friend and we spotted flowers on his tree yesterday. 4ft high and maybe close to 5 years old it has only female flowers so far. I could have used it instead of having what appears to be a male and 2 male dominated bisex trees. I still have 2 jumbos and a standard in the ground I am waiting on but knowing my luck they will all be males..

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2021, 06:27:05 AM »
Good point Oscar and it may be physiologically harder for that tree to produce female flowers. Male papaya fruit are different from those from  bisex tree being seedless and having diminished taste. Maybe the flower is not a regular bisex one also. Back to Garcinias, I have been a bit frustrated that my russell and luc  have been gender bending or not producing good crops of full sized fruit. Makes me wonder if like some reptiles their environment rather than genetics is driving sex determination.
My Luc's garcinia trees have been super frustrating, producing lots of flowers, but little in the way of fruits. At first i thought it was lack of dry climate, like they have in Mexico. But now it also seems possible that they have a hard time deciding what sex they prefer to be?  :o
Oscar

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2021, 05:06:21 PM »

This is what I see on my Lucs Garcinia and quite frequently I might add. A profusion of male flowers and the afternoon aroma is intoxicating.But a closer examination reveals more.

The occasional female flower and they are quite distinctive. This applies to many garcinias and this is what male and female flowers look like and many species including a number of Asian species like dulcis. It is easy to jump to conclusions that trees are male or female but it may take a while for the tree to show its true colours. Mine trees were always mono but just pretended to be males when they opened their accounts.

Lets look closer at male and female flowers of the Luc's Garcinia. The picture tells the story and shows what to look for in all Garcinias.

Mark:  Thus this criteria use for "Luc´s" apply to Garcinia Indica or Kokum ???

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2021, 05:30:30 PM »
Heya mangaba great to hear from you buddy. Yes I believe so and many Garcinias have similar flowers but in thos divergent asian ones the same pinciple applies. You can tell the males from females quite easily but not female from bisex flowers if bisex flowers truly exist. Many species are mono anyway so it isnt an issue. Bisex trees rarely if ever have perfect flowers but rather make and female flowers on the same tree by my reckoning.
While I have you let me say the lisa/recife soursop has been a powerhouse pumping out fruit like a machine. I never succeeded with growing mangabas and they would experience sudden dieback when less than 30cm. I think I know what the problem is. While my soils pH is under 6 naturally my potting mix is close to neutral and I suspect it has been the pH has been too alkali.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk