Author Topic: Can I put something here?  (Read 1225 times)

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
Can I put something here?
« on: June 04, 2021, 03:54:01 PM »
This small section in my front yard gets full sun from about noon through sunset, it faces south, gets pretty warm from the wall.  Can some tropical fruiting plant fit in such a small space where the water regulator is?  I was thinking some sort of passiflora or maybe kiwi?  Better ideas?  I would also like to put something on the other side of the pillar inside the gate, similar size, but gets more shade due to the pillar blocking sun as it sets.

Thank you for your thoughts.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Can I put something here?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 05:28:19 PM »
If it were me I would plant something useful something that you can make juice out of. There is a dwarf tropical red guava. I've had two so I know he gets seven feet tall and about six feet wide I would plant it in an angle away from the house. Or you could plant some other things that aren't really that good and you're not going to get that much production out of

https://plantogram.com/product/guava_dwarf/

Thisl is Zell's White guava excellent.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 05:43:55 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 05:45:02 PM »
I didn't think of this earlier Dwarf Golden Apple/ June plum

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:51:58 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 06:23:03 PM »
Anything slowish growing and small to medium. I have a cherimoya in such a space. Used to be podocarpus. That was a kind of unintended but it appears to be working. Had a cherry of rio grande in another and just swapped it for star fruit. I'm sure surinam would work. Guava. Blueberry? Maybe stone fruit. Is it something you walk by all the time? Guavas and jaboticabas have really pretty trunks. I wouldn't do a vine. Or destructive roots obviously.

Also something expendable for when you need to dig up a pipe.
Shane

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 04:59:48 PM »
Bovine421, thanks for the suggestions.  The space with the water regulator won't fit the trees you suggested, it's less than 2ft wide by 3ft long, and they would interfere with access to the house.  Attached a better image showing mid-day sun, it's the front entrance to my house.

Shane: I appreciate the advice on making it something expendable, totally didn't think about that, and the regulator will likely need to be replaced in a few years.  Why wouldn't you put in a vine?  I was considering passiflora because of the pretty flowers. 

Blueberry is an interesting idea, because the area used to be generic so-cal hedge that was full of bugs and disease.. see picture from January.  I have three blueberry bushes in pots at the top of the entrance stairs, to make a "privacy" screen from my neighbor's house, but the bushes haven't grown much at all.  The january photo was taken midday, funny how much my neighbor's house shades the area.  Blackberry jam fruit plant maybe?  Or just give up and do something non-edible, hmm.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 02:58:55 PM »
Miracle Fruit or pineapple would be good options for a similar space in Florida

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 07:45:24 PM »
Yeah low bush blueberries aren’t going to screen.

I wouldn’t do a vine because it takes too much trimming. Almost monthly.

Pretty flowers…pineapple guava throws a pretty flower. Tough plant. Don’t think roots are invasive. I would think trimming would be too often. There are named varieties. Somewhat difficult to find.
Shane

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 07:47:19 PM »
Might also think about a stone fruit. I haven’t done any in small spaces but.  Double delight and Red Baron are really pretty.
Shane

Fishinsteeg234

• USA, FL, Longwood, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 07:49:46 PM »
Pineapple

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 11:43:20 AM »
Pineapple
You could plant a small tree and pineapples under

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 01:35:43 PM »
Hmm, I have several pineapples already in pots and may do this, thanks.  The concern is that they don't look nice as a result of the cold - my area of so cal, temps get to the low 40s for several weeks in a row during winter.  All my outdoor ones survived but look like crap.

pineapple guava definitely a possibility, thank you.  I may try the vine just to ease my curiosity if it can work.  This is actually HOA maintained, so, perhaps they'll handle the vine accordingly  :blank:

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2021, 03:17:48 PM »
40s shouldn’t be much of a problem with pineapples. Most of mine survived 25 alright with some burn but they shouldn’t  burn in the 40s. I’m sure that nook would offer protection anyway.

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2021, 11:22:28 AM »
40s shouldn’t be much of a problem with pineapples. Most of mine survived 25 alright with some burn but they shouldn’t  burn in the 40s. I’m sure that nook would offer protection anyway.
Unfortunately, mine did this winter.  Pic is after I removed a bunch of fully browned lower leaves.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2021, 10:34:06 PM »
Some of the more ornamental peppers would add a splash of color, provide food while remaining shall, and could be replaced easily if they started to look bad.