Author Topic: Georgia Peach vs Florida Mango (Coconut Cream) - tasting video  (Read 1414 times)

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Ive been pumping out some videos lately - this is what I'm doing on my vacation LOL.  I bet you can guess the winner ...

https://youtu.be/DsAzsqijJzw

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Georgia Peach vs Florida Mango (Coconut Cream) - tasting video
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 10:15:38 AM »
Your friend didn't go you any justice.   Based on the video of you cutting, that peach was not truly ripe and by looks, no different than what you get here from the roadside stand.  A ripe b peach from a Georgia grove would be melting and spewing juices.  I used to go to the Georgia growers and get fresh picked Lane peaches, not those picked and sent to the packers qhich make their qay to stores and many roadside stands.. 

Like just about any prime fresh picked fruit from the grower, it will battle head to head with any mango (those who have had fresh picked Zaiger interspecific stone fruit know what I mean).
- Rob

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 10:19:17 AM »
Your friend didn't go you any justice.   Based on the video of you cutting, that peach was not truly ripe and by looks, no different than what you get here from the roadside stand.  A ripe b peach from a Georgia grove would be melting and spewing juices.  I used to go to the Georgia growers and get fresh picked Lane peaches, not those picked and sent to the packers qhich make their qay to stores and many roadside stands.. 

Like just about any prime fresh picked fruit from the grower, it will battle head to head with any mango (those who have had fresh picked Zaiger interspecific stone fruit know what I mean).

Yeah, I’m sure.  It was kind of just for fun and to stir the pot.  That peach had no chance 😳😆

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 10:23:05 AM »
Ive been pumping out some videos lately - this is what I'm doing on my vacation LOL.  I bet you can guess the winner ...

Very nice video of your above ground fish pond. Done with pressure treated 4 by 4s and a plastic liner. Electric Waterfalls too, to aerate the water. You all should check out this SleepDoc project!

Above Ground Wood Frame Fish Pond Build ---->>>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSrfu26iwgM

Yeah, I’m sure.  It was kind of just for fun and to stir the pot.  That peach had no chance

NW, Washington State, cherries at the height of their season when they are nice and black. These can compete with our backyard mangoes. Cherries ship very well to Florida. The other day I saw some California cherries that were as dark dead ripe as solid NW cherries. At Aldis @ $3.49 per lb. I did not buy. NW cherries will arrive in 2-3-4 weeks.

California apricots will also compete against our mangoes. They are very hard to find in excellent condition in Florida. Last time I ate some was 6-7 years ago. You out in California can buy a few crates to fill your bathtubs.  To bathe in them at their prime. Bathe in their divine essences to achieve your non-deserved Satori. This is the lazy man's shortcut, his way  to enlightenment. Much faster, more reliable than boring ass Zen and the Maharishi's mantras.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 10:54:09 AM by zands »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 10:31:33 AM »

Very nice video of your above ground fish pond. Done with pressure treated 4 by 4s and a plastic liner. Electric Waterfalls too, to aerate the water. You all should check out this SleepDoc project!

Above Ground Wood Frame Fish Pond Build ---->>>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSrfu26iwgM

So the next video should be of the building of the pond or taste test from its fish vs mango?
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 11:42:37 AM »
California apricots will also compete against our mangoes. They are very hard to find in excellent condition in Florida. Last time I ate some was 6-7 years ago. You out in California can buy a few crates to fill your bathtubs.  To bathe in them at their prime. Bathe in their divine essences to achieve your non-deserved Satori. This is the lazy man's shortcut, his way  to enlightenment. Much faster, more reliable than boring ass Zen and the Maharishi's mantras.
Huh?  I don't get where enlightenment in a spiritual sense has anything to do with eating fruit. Purely sensual vs. cosmic, transcendental consciousness, which you obviously think merits ridicule.  Now if you had said "better than sex,"  that might have made some sense.

Ok whatever, when it comes to fruit they're all great when at their prime--peaches, cherries, apricots, etc.  But which other fruit has the diversity of flavors you find in mangos?
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 12:06:37 PM »
Huh?  I don't get where enlightenment in a spiritual sense has anything to do with eating fruit. Purely sensual vs. cosmic, transcendental consciousness, which you obviously think merits ridicule.  Now if you had said "better than sex,"  that might have made some sense.

Ok whatever, when it comes to fruit they're all great when at their prime--peaches, cherries, apricots, etc.  But which other fruit has the diversity of flavors you find in mangos?

Again, Zaiger bred stone fruits (sorry but the best are better than mangoes), Cherimoya,  Kauai White Sugarloaf (from Jude's farm),  just to name a few from the States.
- Rob

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 01:57:32 PM »
So each of those fruits has the diversity of flavors as mango?  That's what you're saying, boss.  Interesting.
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 02:04:00 PM »
So each of those fruits has the diversity of flavors as mango?  That's what you're saying, boss.  Interesting.

100%
- Rob

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 03:04:46 PM »
We recently had a similar "showdown" between a Tropic Beauty Peach and a Glenn Mango. We finally concluded that it was a tie.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 07:43:02 PM »

I was joking around. I have been to Zen meditation and TM (Maharishi) seminars and have no problem with them. But I do envy those who live in California where the apricots are grown.

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 10:56:55 PM »
That video was cute but by coincidence I visited some grandkids today with a few mangoes to share that were the earliest of the varieties. Outliers you might say. Henry had a small Sweet Tart that was 75% yellow. He went nuts on it and wanted more. I had a Carrie that was only 25% yellow on top and that was the next best one of the group and I didn’t even think it was ripe. He wanted another mango so I cut up the Carrie and decided to video what happened. It’s only about a minute long and isn’t scientific but I think you’ll love it. Also my wife got a bag of California white peaches at Trader Joe’s 2 days ago that felt hard but inside soft and super sweet. The flesh was the exact same color as inside a Sugarloaf. 
PS you want real no bs well this is pure straight refreshing honesty from a 9 year old kid!
https://youtu.be/a6Eq6zCxxzo
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 11:03:12 PM by weiss613 »

Sleepdoc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 06:05:55 AM »
That video was cute but by coincidence I visited some grandkids today with a few mangoes to share that were the earliest of the varieties. Outliers you might say. Henry had a small Sweet Tart that was 75% yellow. He went nuts on it and wanted more. I had a Carrie that was only 25% yellow on top and that was the next best one of the group and I didn’t even think it was ripe. He wanted another mango so I cut up the Carrie and decided to video what happened. It’s only about a minute long and isn’t scientific but I think you’ll love it. Also my wife got a bag of California white peaches at Trader Joe’s 2 days ago that felt hard but inside soft and super sweet. The flesh was the exact same color as inside a Sugarloaf. 
PS you want real no bs well this is pure straight refreshing honesty from a 9 year old kid!
https://youtu.be/a6Eq6zCxxzo

That was great, he couldn’t even look at ya - too busy mowing down that Carrie 😳👍

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 12:11:59 PM »
California home grown stone fruits can be great, especially the Zaiger varieties. I’m in California, but most stone fruits I bought from grocery stores are so so, including those from Costco. They can be good but rarely wow me.

I bought a bag of white peach from Trader Joe’s two weeks ago and they were very bland.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 12:21:26 PM »
California home grown stone fruits can be great, especially the Zaiger varieties. I’m in California, but most stone fruits I bought from grocery stores are so so, including those from Costco. They can be good but rarely wow me.

I bought a bag of white peach from Trader Joe’s two weeks ago and they were very bland.
Yeah they can, even before Zaiger came along!  As kids we were eating luscious, crazy-sweet Santa Rosa and Satsuma plums, and nectarines, from my uncle's backyard trees in the San Fernando Valley way back in the 50's and 60's.  Even the Central Market (wholesale) in L.A. was carrying boxes of CA peaches that outclassed anything GA had to offer.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 12:34:52 PM by johnb51 »
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2021, 12:16:38 PM »

Yeah they can, even before Zaiger came along!  As kids we were eating luscious, crazy-sweet Santa Rosa and Satsuma plums, and nectarines, from my uncle's backyard trees in the San Fernando Valley way back in the 50's and 60's.  Even the Central Market (wholesale) in L.A. was carrying boxes of CA peaches that outclassed anything GA had to offer.

Today's hi-tech Silicon Valley was the same in 1972. I was visiting in the summer, as we drove down the main drag of San Jose or maybe just south.  Not exaggerating, that on both sides of the street, seemed like in every store window there were placards advertising local stone fruit for sale. Peaches, plums, nectarines, apricots etc.
You can guess when real estate prices started to go up up up. To where the local fruit orchards sold their land to the incoming hi-tech companies.

Matter of fact a very close by gardening center that has been here in Tamarac for ages, he sold half its land last October to a company that wanted it for more parking lot space. What kind of company? Medical of course. My guess for senior citizens.
I have bought two mango trees from them >>> Last one was two months ago at $80 for a 3 gallon one. Ouch! ! ! ! But this is the going rate.

Tropic Plants - Tamarac, FL - Yelp
https://www.yelp.com/biz/tropic-plants-tamarac
37 reviews of Tropic Plants "Wow. How have I been driving past this little oasis of paradise all these years?! This is a garden of love- I can't look at the garden center at Home Depot without a sterile weight in my stomach now after my first visit to Tropic Plants. It's like eating your first home grown tomato after years of shrink wrapped, chain store hothouse blandness.
4.5/5(36)
Phone: (954) 724-1955

They have a 40ft Julie mango tree in the back
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 04:16:39 PM by zands »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2021, 02:22:56 PM »
It's a wonder there's still agricultural land left in CA.  So much of it went towards subdivisions and expanding cities.  Of course, the Central Valley, where agriculture remains, is an ugly place, compared to the coast, SoCal, NorCal, the mountain ranges, and even the desert!
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 02:59:23 PM »
Fun vid SleepDoc! Great to get the younger generations into plants and fruits and stuff.

Not a fair fight, but gotta start somewhere. Having lived in GA for many years, gotta say there are some really good peaches out there. I wasn't into them much when I was younger, but will make a point to sample some good ones next opportunity.

Imagining a new UFC (Ultimate Fruit Championship), or UFFC (Ultimate Fruit Fighting Championship), and having fruit-offs between different fruits and cultivars. Several people could battle out the same matchups, so more than one outcome could be considered for any fight. Playoff brackets could be earned, and so on. Of course, results would be relative with many other factors, and in no way definitive; but what fun.

Sweet Tart handled Glenn easily today with some knockout punches, even though Glenn came in strong, peachy, and determined.