Author Topic: Which is easier - Cogshall or Carrie?  (Read 1376 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
Which is easier - Cogshall or Carrie?
« on: June 10, 2021, 06:22:00 AM »
I am looking for a good early-to-mid season cultivar that is easy for a novice home grower. I wanted to like pickering, but I don't. I like the flavor of cogshall and carrie just fine. Among the two, which wins out on characteristics such as disease resistance, productivity, etc.?

3rdgrey

• USA,Fl,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Which is easier - Cogshall or Carrie?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 08:03:15 AM »
If it helps, the only tree I've had any luck with so far ( has grown and actually produced a few mangos) is a carrie I bought at Walmart.

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 08:13:48 AM »
If it helps, the only tree I've had any luck with so far ( has grown and actually produced a few mangos) is a carrie I bought at Walmart.

That DOES help. Thanks :)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 12:49:09 PM »
I'd say Carrie is a much more flavorful mango, but there's a very vocal minority that hates Carrie!  Mr. Rob, where are you? ;)  He probably has a much better suggestion, as he's considered the Supreme Guru/Guide of this forum.  Disease resistance, productivity, etc., I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 01:13:27 PM by johnb51 »
John

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 02:48:39 PM »
My Carrie is 11 years old and I have never experienced Anthracnose or any other
disease. The fruit's flavor is unique and some on this forum don't care for them.

The only downside I have experienced is that it produces very few fruit some years.
Michael

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 06:06:12 PM »
Carrie all day long, bushy tree medium grower, clean, produces well.  I hear that cogshall is a nice compact tree, the only downside of carrie is that if it falls it bruises easily.
Now, taste wise carrie wins.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 06:30:24 PM »
In terms of flavor
Carrie wins pretty easily.

In terms of production
In the past, I would say a tie but these days there are increasing reports of Carrie producing badly.
I'd recommend checking to see if anyone in your area is experiencing these problems with Carrie
I'd look at the tree for myself, the term "good production" is very loose. Especially among those who only have one tree.
The conditional winner is Cogshall

In terms of tree
Cogshall is lower vigor, if that matters to you.
Both seem pretty disease-resistant.

Ease of picking:
Cogshall is a Red mango that turns yellow and has a very forgiving window to pick.
I don't find Carrie hard to pick though, Cogshall is just stupid simple

Some other things to consider:

If you into cooking and mango salsa
Cogshall's flavor plays nicely with other mango.
Its just a classic mango flavor so it won't overpower a dish.

Carrie would be great by itself in lassies though but i wouldn't put it in a salad or something.

Both are soft texture mangos but Carrie when fully ripe is pretty hard to peel and dice
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 06:58:24 PM by skhan »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 06:33:12 PM »
I had one Carrie and it was a champ so I planted 10 more. I have two Cogshall and like them well enough but went with Carrie. They are  just getting ripe.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2021, 07:50:21 PM »
Can someone expound upon the short window of Carrie.I keep reading and hearing about this short window that Carrie has. If you have other trees coming ripe during same time frame. Let's say carrie has a hundred fruit that have to be eaten within the span of one week. I'm not sure I'd want a whole tree of Carrie. Maybe a cogshall with three or four grafts of Carrie would be more pragmatic. I will be at truly tropical Chris's Saturday to pick up a 3-gallon graham and you almost had me ready to buying a carrie but I think since they're both medium trees. I will just graft carrie on to Graham. Please discuss the short window of carrie
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 08:06:41 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 07:54:09 AM »
Actually since Carrie usually has multiple bloom flushes it's season is longer than some others, at least over a month.

The fruit doesn't hang on the tree after it ripens, it uusally falls.
Who said anything about a "short window"? Maybe there is a misunderstanding.

She is showing color breaking fruit, small fruit, and flowering at the same time. This cannot be a short harvest window, and has been my experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJe-sKU0tPM

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2021, 08:55:14 AM »
Actually since Carrie usually has multiple bloom flushes it's season is longer than some others, at least over a month.

The fruit doesn't hang on the tree after it ripens, it uusally falls.
Who said anything about a "short window"? Maybe there is a misunderstanding.

She is showing color breaking fruit, small fruit, and flowering at the same time. This cannot be a short harvest window, and has been my experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJe-sKU0tPM

Thanks for clarifying things for me. I must have misinterpreted a few things  I just sent truly tropical a email to have a 3-gallon carrie at the front gate. Along side my Graham that I will be picking up tomorrow Saturday. I will be at Tropical Acres Farms later this afternoon to pick up a prepaid order and hope that I can get a sampling of ladies choice which Alex tells me he has no fiber and is much more than just a juice mango. I do not usually do mango reviews but I will on ladies choice. Since there is not much chatter or discussion on this forum about that particular mango variety :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:51:01 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 12:42:12 PM »
The point about the cogshall having a more traditional mango flavor for eating with food is a good point. When sampling mangoes, I just eat the mango itself. However, with a whole tree's worth, I would probably be adding on top of salads.

The fact that Carry has multiple bloom flushes is desirable, though, as I can eat fresh mangoes for a larger period of time. How does cogshall fare in this respect? Anyone with experience?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2021, 02:58:01 PM »
I personally haven't seen multiple blooms in mine.
When it blooms it sets fruit so not much chance for a second one is guess.
I've been picking them for a month.
Probably have another month to good

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2021, 10:33:05 PM »
My cogshall is low vigor compared to my Carrie. Both were planted at the same time  in 2017-2018 and I’ve been getting fruit off the Carrie for 3 years while cogshall flowered for the first time this year and didn’t hold any fruit to maturity. I think Carrie is more disease resistant as I’ve read cogshall is prone to anthracnose. I would definitely go with Carrie it’s flavor is very good and it’s a better in terms of growth and disease resistance. As skhan said they are not good in mango salsa since it’s a very juicy, soft mango.

3rdgrey

• USA,Fl,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 08:08:28 AM »
Like I said, the only tree of my 15 or so varieties that has actually done anthing without problems has been the Carrie. I has not produced more than I can handle so far given this year was it's first crop. That included experiencing a freeze! The some of the others have flowered and had small fruit buds on them, but turned black and fell off.

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2021, 08:53:26 AM »
It seems like Carry is the winner. Thanks so much for the input everyone!

dm

• Miami-Dade County, FL - Zone 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 08:20:21 PM »
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:23:38 PM by dm »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk