Author Topic: 2 babaco plants in one pot?  (Read 446 times)

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
    • exoticke-pestovani.webnode.cz
2 babaco plants in one pot?
« on: June 14, 2021, 10:12:47 AM »
Hi there,

I've acquired two young babaco plants a month and a half ago which were planted in small yogurt cups. For practical reasons (due to limited space and also because I haven't had two suitable pots at that time), I repotted them both in one pot, about 23 cm in height, 20+cm in diameter (size reference in photo). It was a significant upgrade from those small yogurt cups. :D They've grown a lot of new healthy leaves and started flowering as well - in other words, they seem to be thriving. I've checked the drainage and I can already see their roots peeking out. So I was wondering - is it ok to keep them in one pot like this or should I place them in their own separate pots? Or should I just put them both in one larger pot once the time for repotting comes? What do you think?

Durian & avocado lover

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
Re: 2 babaco plants in one pot?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 04:51:40 AM »
A lot of the times they grow papaya with 2 or 3 together, so I don’t see why not? Babaco taste nothing like papaya but it does grow like it. Some people don’t like the taste but I personally do. I keep one in a 25 gallon pot and another in the ground. I could image 2 growing in that size pot but if you go smaller pot like 15g I think they would be happier separated

Vlk

• Czech Republic
    • View Profile
    • exoticke-pestovani.webnode.cz
Re: 2 babaco plants in one pot?
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 06:03:57 AM »
A lot of the times they grow papaya with 2 or 3 together, so I don’t see why not? Babaco taste nothing like papaya but it does grow like it. Some people don’t like the taste but I personally do. I keep one in a 25 gallon pot and another in the ground. I could image 2 growing in that size pot but if you go smaller pot like 15g I think they would be happier separated

Thank you for your reply! I just decided this morning I will re-pot them as soon as I will build my greenhouse, which will be in a week or two from now and I will put them into their own separate pots. I am sure they would thrive together in a larger pot (though I don't have space for 25 gallon one), maybe with a larger gap between them, but I was thinking they deserve their own personal space. :) And I imagine it will be more optimal for them to have their own pots.
Durian & avocado lover

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk