Author Topic: picking cutting for propagation  (Read 844 times)

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
picking cutting for propagation
« on: July 01, 2021, 09:08:18 PM »
What should be the size and age of the branch/cutting for propagation?  Do you pick the cutting when it is still green and soft?

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Re: picking cutting for propagation
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 09:15:48 PM »
It can depend on the species and if it will even root or how far you are willing to go to get it to root.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 10:27:53 PM »
I am no expert in citrus propagation but I use cuttings that are old enough to have firmed up but not so old that they have changed to gray bark.  They should still be green

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 03:36:36 AM »
For a cutting, the stem needs to be physically strong to stand up by itself in the rooting medium, after being pushed or dibbed into a hole etc.
The leaves need to be hardened enough to keep their shape and not droop, or not too much.  If you are pruning fresh cuttings and they basically wilt straight away they are too soft. They probably need to be able to retain their shape for a while after cutting to succeed.
You might get away with softer stuff under extra care or mist systems.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 12:37:20 PM »
Much of the success in rooting is due to the ENERGY LEVEL in the cutting.  Keep in mind that energy levels in plant tissues typically reach a maximum in late summer or early fall.  With species  that make several flushes of growth the build up of energy progresses, then drops again with the next flush and so on. The key to cutting propagation is to wait until the energy levels in the tissue has recovered to some moderate level to support root development, yet not wait too long and lose the responsiveness and ability of young tissues to produce roots.  Also keep in mind that a time period typically of 30 to 60 days is required to root most broadleaf cuttings.(Plant Production in Containers-2)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2021, 12:39:38 PM by Millet »

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 11:47:23 AM »
I accidently broke off a branch from my C-35 tree..so I thought why not try to root it?  I wrapped the broke off cutting in buddy tape, put it in soil in a solo cup then cover the cup with a clear plastic bag to create a mini greenhouse.  I left it in shade and 6 weeks later, it rooted.  The cutting was small about 1/8 of an inch.  Wonder if I can try the same thing with a thicker cutting?

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 02:04:39 PM »
jtnguyen333,

Very good.  I tried a couple of times.  No success.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 06:33:38 PM »
Layering or Marcotting is an alternative, where the "cutting" is started while still attached to the tree. It is more often done on older branches.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk