Author Topic: Reverse Zone Pushing - Gooseberries in Gulf Coast/Atlantic 9A?  (Read 1221 times)

HibachiDrama

• Jacksonville
    • View Profile
Reverse Zone Pushing - Gooseberries in Gulf Coast/Atlantic 9A?
« on: October 14, 2020, 10:07:01 AM »
Has anyone attempted or had any success with Gooseberries in warmer climates (200-400 chill hours)? My elderly father-in-law moved in with us and asked about growing gooseberries like he had in his childhood, but I can't find any evidence that they'll survive or produce here, although Dave Wilson Nursery has 2 varieties listed for zones 4-9. I have a spot that is 100% full shade in the summer but partial sun in the winter, with frequent breezes/good air flow.

I know I can grow plenty of other types of fruit here, but the father-in-law doesn't ask for anything, so I'm willing to sacrifice some space and plants to fulfill his request.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse Zone Pushing - Gooseberries in Gulf Coast/Atlantic 9A?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 10:41:53 PM »
Gooseberries need about 1,200 hours below 45 degrees for their chill hour requirements. Also, very hot temps can cause fruit drop and wilting.  I would think that if you can grow apples, you should be able to grow gooseberries, currants and jostaberries.
Good luck!

Carolyn

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 07:16:56 PM »
Gooseberries typically like cooler climates. If you don't live in cooler climate, it may be best to plant in a shadier location, preferably one that gets morning sun, and keep the soil moist during the summer.

Pixwell is supposed to have a little bit of a lower chill requirement than other varieties.

Note also there is a big difference in flavor between the Darker brown-red varieties and the green varieties. I personally much prefer the green varieties, but the red varieties will be easier to grow for you and have a more bold flavor.

It's also suggested not to plant gooseberries (or currants) near areas with white pine, because of fungal disease cycle issues.

There are probably plenty of other topics about gooseberries in this forum. Go look for them.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 12:41:13 PM »
I would try to search other forums and try to find someone with the best gooseberry varieties.  Then find a way to get them in the form of preserves(search canning/food preservation forums) or find someone willing to ship you a box of fruit in season. I was able to grow and fruit gooseberries in South Carolina but the fruit quality was poor and yields were low compared to fruit I enjoyed in the upper midwest in years past. Not worth even trying in Florida IMO.
Try to work out a trade for some Florida tropical fruit, I am sure someone will go for it.
 At some point I will make offers for fruit trades, some of my favorite apple varieties that aren't available in stores in exchange for tropical fruit from my yard. 

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 08:10:32 AM »
Not gooseberries or related but I wonder how close cape goose berries taste to them (a type of ground cherry)
I see they were lasgt sold 2/13 2021 on here

I cannot find where to buy, but if you could maybe you could order some, and have him try they grow in Peru

https://www.specialtyproduce.com/produce/Cape_Gooseberries_9498.php#Restaurants

note the wild gooseberries I've had were sour green ones and tasted different then the ground cherries I've ate
but they both had that (barley )sweet & sour balance

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 08:36:51 AM »
Here is a link

Also if you want to make him jam with these I'd think to go to a wine making store,
and buy Malic acid it is in Granny smith apples, and a Tea spoon would cause the jam /jelly to have a sourer tang using that food acid.
(I'd think better matching the flavor, at least the types of wild Green Goose berries I ate )

https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/cape_gooseberry.html

I wonder if he'd like tropical raspberries I never tried those, but If He ate Goose berries He might have had Northern Raspberries as well.