Author Topic: Will these seeds germinate?  (Read 2062 times)

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Will these seeds germinate?
« on: March 22, 2020, 05:28:03 PM »
I got my first international shipment of seeds two days ago (seeds from Borneo). I just want to ask if some of the seeds I got have a good chance at germinating, or if they will rot. I’m asking because several nephelium seeds I got came with mold on them, and now have become semi soft and I think they rotted/died in transit. The pictures show a nephelium seed that feels hard but has a black tip. The pointed flat seed is a baccaurrea angulata, and the durio Oxleyanus seed came like it looks now. Durio Kutejensis seeds I ordered did not germinate in transit (which took 9 days) and still haven’t germinated. I also have Xanthophyllum seeds (photo with two seeds), Langsat seeds, and Willughbeia seeds (which have not sprouted bud don’t have mold on them). Any suggestions for germinating these seeds? I’m used to just flinging cacao seeds in potting mix and all of them sprouting. I washed them and sprayed lightly with a hydrogen peroxide solution to get rid of the mold and put them in a plastic box with moist spanghum moss on a heat mat.

Hdaylowe

• Hdaylowe
    • Hdaylowe
    • View Profile
Re: Will these seeds germinate?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 05:51:37 AM »
All the problems I've encountered May end by seeking knowledge from this post.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 06:01:22 AM »
Chamomille tea diluted its verry efficient against mold and doesnt burn the plants like the hidrogen peroxide.
The tea is actually even better at killing fungus than copper sulphate.Ive tested copper solution vs chamomille tea and the tea killed the fungus better and ive used a lot of copper sulphate until the seeds became blue colored.
You can also try to peel gently the hard coating of the seeds with a nail clipper but without damaging the seeds inside.
It helps the inside of the seed to soak water faster and swell faster,germinate faster.

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 06:51:27 AM »
I got my first international shipment of seeds two days ago (seeds from Borneo)...

Those seeds don't look bad...

You have to start with fresh seeds, for sure, but a lot can go
wrong afterwards...Still, your best bet is to start with the freshest possible seeds...

If you are just starting with exotic tropical seeds, I would suggest you first gain some experience with
easier and cheaper seeds. After a while you kind of know which will germinate and which will not.
There are some basic rules, like floaters usually do not germinate. Moldy seeds are usually already
condemned.

In my experience, it is very easy to get the sowing medium too wet. I like to use coconut coir and soak it well, but then
I try really hard to squeeze out as much water as possible.

If the seeds also get too warm they will die.

Unless you have a good setup, germinating seeds in the colder months is more difficult. Whereas
in the summer months, fresh seeds will germinate readily.

Impatience also kills a lot of seeds. Avoid poking the sowing medium to check the seeds all the time...

Good luck.
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 08:40:07 AM »
I have some experience with tropical seeds, mainly with cacao but also with cherimoya, citrus, passion fruit, etc. This is my first international shipment, and what got me worried is that all of the nephelium seeds came with some mold on them, and a few have turned soft now. I read somewhere that mold on durian seeds, especially from shipping, is common and you just need to take it off when you see it. I don’t have coconut coir, but put them in a box with damp sphagnum moss on a heat mat. Today I may plant some in a mix of soil and moss. I sprayed some of the nephelium seeds with hydrogen peroxide, and those seem to have almost no mold on them today. Ill try some chamomile tea too.

Tomek

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 10:13:06 AM »
I like to put seeds in a baggie on my counter with damp vermiculite.
After the seeds germinate then plant. I tend to over water the seeds if
I sow immediately. This is how I have my best luck. Occasionally I get a
seed that germinates and fails to sprout but most seeds that germinate
sprout.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 06:38:53 AM »
I have some experience with tropical seeds, mainly with cacao but also with cherimoya, citrus, passion fruit, etc. This is my first international shipment, and what got me worried is that all of the nephelium seeds came with some mold on them, and a few have turned soft now. I read somewhere that mold on durian seeds, especially from shipping, is common and you just need to take it off when you see it. I don’t have coconut coir, but put them in a box with damp sphagnum moss on a heat mat. Today I may plant some in a mix of soil and moss. I sprayed some of the nephelium seeds with hydrogen peroxide, and those seem to have almost no mold on them today. Ill try some chamomile tea too.

Tomek
Soft nephelium seeds are dead. The others with mold will probably sprout if you did a good job of washing the mold off.
Oscar

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 06:49:16 AM »
Chamomille tea diluted its verry efficient against mold and doesnt burn the plants like the hidrogen peroxide.
The tea is actually even better at killing fungus than copper sulphate.Ive tested copper solution vs chamomille tea and the tea killed the fungus better and ive used a lot of copper sulphate until the seeds became blue colored.
You can also try to peel gently the hard coating of the seeds with a nail clipper but without damaging the seeds inside.
It helps the inside of the seed to soak water faster and swell faster,germinate faster.

Copper sulphate will terminate any radicles that are exposed to it.   I'd soak those seeds in a broad spectrum fungicide like Magnabon CS 2005 or dust them in  Captan.

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 07:23:53 AM »
How about hydrogen peroxide? I currently don’t have anything else. One durio seed sprouted (the rest look iffy), and a Willughbeia seed split open (while the other is rotten), but the Xanthophyllum seeds are nice and soft now and the nephelium seeds keep having mold on them and a lot of them have turned soft at the tip or spew liquid.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 08:03:08 AM »
Hydrogen peroxide burns the roots instant.
Its good to use it diluted before the shell cracks.
I think chamomille tea beats captan and otther fungicides.
In fact i have captan and otther fungicides plus copper sulphate at home but i never use them because the chamomille tea its too good.
If the seeds got soft ,discard them because they will kill the otther healthy seeds.
If you dont want to discard them,at least keep them separated in another box.
Some seed vendors sell blue seeds that become blue from the copper sulphate,otthers use hydrogen peroxide (5 % non diluted, i think its what seed pirates use) but thats for non germinated seeds wich germinate in transit.

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 09:02:26 AM »
I’ll try the chamomile tea. I have each seed separate, so if they rot they shouldn’t infect other seeds.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 06:19:15 PM »
I’ll try the chamomile tea. I have each seed separate, so if they rot they shouldn’t infect other seeds.
Its not that they infect them but a rotten seed releases a lot of ammonia wich burns the still alive seeds around it.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 06:42:23 PM »
Willoughbeia seeds mold very fast in best of circumstances, usually arrive moldy even with EMS.
Oscar

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 07:57:44 PM »
Would the Willughbeia seeds do better if sprayed/soaked in hydrogen peroxide or a fungicide before shipping? One Willughbeia seed seemed to try to sprout, but while one side split open the other rotted. I don’t have much hope for the nephelium, durio Oxleyanus, and Xanthophyllum, all are becoming soft and moldy. At least the baccaurea and a durio kutejensis are germinating, and langsat aren’t moldy. The seller promised to replace the seeds when I make my next order (next year), so I’ll be able to try again. I knew there was risk in the seeds dying in transit, but of course knowing me I’ll order even more next year!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 10:42:22 PM »
Would the Willughbeia seeds do better if sprayed/soaked in hydrogen peroxide or a fungicide before shipping? One Willughbeia seed seemed to try to sprout, but while one side split open the other rotted. I don’t have much hope for the nephelium, durio Oxleyanus, and Xanthophyllum, all are becoming soft and moldy. At least the baccaurea and a durio kutejensis are germinating, and langsat aren’t moldy. The seller promised to replace the seeds when I make my next order (next year), so I’ll be able to try again. I knew there was risk in the seeds dying in transit, but of course knowing me I’ll order even more next year!
Yes willoughbeia would probably do better if treated with fungicide before mailing. I would also suggest using express mail service. Even with that mail from most of Borneo to USA takes 2 weeks, without it 3 weeks. In high temperature areas that is a very long time for them to sit around.
Oscar

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 08:55:31 PM »
Well, that doesn’t sound too promising for Willughbeia seeds. Do you or anyone else have plants they sell? Do these easily root from cuttings?

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 09:21:00 PM »
I might sell some of my small willughbeia plants. I'd also keep the willughbeia seeds planted as long as they're not mush/liquid, they are hardy plants in my experience and will germinate from half of the seed or from seemingly dead stems.

TomekK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 10:12:44 PM »
I’ll keep the seed, though it doesn’t look to promising. Will you have the plants available over the summer?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk