Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620545 times)

jez251

• Miami, FL Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #300 on: July 11, 2012, 01:03:55 PM »
Hi to all new fellow members,

Mangomaniac, Xeno, Vyvy, Jack, Tntrobbie, Tropical66, and Jez251...Welcome to the forum! 8) :)

I could only find this ''Welcome song'' on you tube...hope y'all like it ;D ;D ;D

Welcome Song

Regards,
Steven
Excellent little video, Steven. Thank for the warm welcome to, uh, Ponyville?!?  ;D I hope to contribute on as many topics as possible.

Jaime
I'm also liking the extra HTML features this forum has...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:46:03 PM by jez251 »

fernsworth@bellsuth.net

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2012, 01:37:02 PM »
Hi,

My name is Jeannie Fernsworth and I am on the board of The Rare Fruit Council  (RFC)of Palm Beach County.  I grow herbs and some tropical fruit. I worked for The New York Botanical and Brooklyn Botanic Garden for the 15 years that I lived in New York.

I hope that you post the RFC events for your followers. There is a plant sale at The South Florida Fairgrounds on Saturday, July 21st. There will be lots of growers there for people to buy directly from the growers. There will also be herbs and fresh fruit to buy as well. 

See you there!

Jeannie

Fernsworth Gardens

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 11, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »
Hi to all new fellow members,
Mangomaniac, Xeno, Vyvy, Jack, Tntrobbie, Tropical66, and Jez251...Welcome to the forum! 8) :)
I could only find this ''Welcome song'' on you tube...hope y'all like it ;D ;D ;D
Welcome Song
Regards,
Steven
Excellent little video, Steven. Thank for the warm welcome to, uh, Ponyville?!?   ;D I hope to contribute on as many topics as possible.
Jaime
I'm also liking the extra HTML features this forum has...

You are most welcome, Jaime :)
Ponyville :-[ International Tropical Fruit Growers 8) ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Dreamwielder

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 19, 2012, 10:54:49 PM »
Hello everyone,
I just learned about this forum today and feel like I've discovered a real gem! There is so much great stuff here and I want to say thanks to everyone for whatever they've put into this great forum to make it what it is.
About me... I am a parent, a nutritionist, a dog trainer, and I've got the great blessing of now being able to start working with horses. I also have had a love of plants since forever, and for years now I have dreamed of growing tropicals but have never had the opportunity. Well, now it seems I've got it. I have the space to build a greenhouse which should be up by this spring. I'd like to create a few different ones, each housing it's appropriate plants. There is a local natural foods coop here that would like to buy fruit from me rather than having to import out of Mexico or California, so I'm really itching to get going! That said, I'm pretty new to growing trees and also to tropicals, although I have had some experience with this and that along the way. I'm hoping that I can come here to learn and get an idea of how I want to approach this - which trees to start with and so forth. I'm mainly keen on bushes and shrubs with edible or medicinal uses. As a nutritionist, I'm interested in bringing new foods to my community too. So it's a multifaceted reward for me. I live in Wisconsin, zone 4b, so it's a bit of a challenge I suppose, but I want to do the very best I can with it! So far I have a few cacao trees. So... thanks for reading, I'm really glad to be here!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #304 on: July 20, 2012, 12:32:44 AM »
Hello everyone,
I just learned about this forum today and feel like I've discovered a real gem! There is so much great stuff here and I want to say thanks to everyone for whatever they've put into this great forum to make it what it is.
About me... I am a parent, a nutritionist, a dog trainer, and I've got the great blessing of now being able to start working with horses. I also have had a love of plants since forever, and for years now I have dreamed of growing tropicals but have never had the opportunity. Well, now it seems I've got it. I have the space to build a greenhouse which should be up by this spring. I'd like to create a few different ones, each housing it's appropriate plants. There is a local natural foods coop here that would like to buy fruit from me rather than having to import out of Mexico or California, so I'm really itching to get going! That said, I'm pretty new to growing trees and also to tropicals, although I have had some experience with this and that along the way. I'm hoping that I can come here to learn and get an idea of how I want to approach this - which trees to start with and so forth. I'm mainly keen on bushes and shrubs with edible or medicinal uses. As a nutritionist, I'm interested in bringing new foods to my community too. So it's a multifaceted reward for me. I live in Wisconsin, zone 4b, so it's a bit of a challenge I suppose, but I want to do the very best I can with it! So far I have a few cacao trees. So... thanks for reading, I'm really glad to be here!

Hello Dreamwielder, welcome to this forum. Sounds like you have a great place there and a neat ambition. I love horses myself and miss having them around. Had a  Shetland pony here for a year or so when the grass was very high. Great animals!
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 20, 2012, 03:55:26 AM »
I live in Wisconsin, zone 4b, so it's a bit of a challenge I suppose, but I want to do the very best I can with it! So far I have a few cacao trees.
Welcome. Wisconsin... Isn't that the natural range for American ginseng? Do people there hunt for wild ones? ;D

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #306 on: July 20, 2012, 08:21:37 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, Dreamwielder.  You've got some folks that have great experience with greenhouse or other indoor growing here.  Do check out posts by OhioJay, Stressbaby and Lycheeluva for good examples.  There are many others.  Anyway, good to have another northern zone pusher to join the ranks.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

robguz24

• Kalapana, Big Island of Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • My garden near Kalapana, Hawaii
« Reply #307 on: July 20, 2012, 03:01:43 PM »
Aloha all!
I'm Rob from near Kalapana on the Big Island of Hawaii. Just discovered this forum and am really enjoying it. I have a small lot that is jam packed with tropical fruit trees and some others, including a good number of native Hawaiian plants, and 32 varieties of bananas. My hobby is now paying for itself by selling what my partner and I can't eat at my neighborhood farmers market. It's amazing how much food one can grow on about 5000 sq ft!
I keep a little web page about my efforts here -> http://robguzman.com/Rob/Hawaii_native_plant_and_food_garden.html

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 20, 2012, 03:10:33 PM »
Beautiful photos, robguz24.  Quick question regarding your Fig tree, do you know which variety that is and how does it do for you in HI?
Tim

robguz24

• Kalapana, Big Island of Hawaii
    • View Profile
    • My garden near Kalapana, Hawaii
« Reply #309 on: July 20, 2012, 04:47:53 PM »
Beautiful photos, robguz24.  Quick question regarding your Fig tree, do you know which variety that is and how does it do for you in HI?
It was a White Kadota fig. It grew quite quickly and well, but I ripped it out last fall and now have a naranjilla and a dwarf red banana in the same spot. The fig fruit was average and virtually impossible to harvest at the right time. Too hard and they wouldn't ripen well inside the house. Soft at all and they were already infested with fruit fly larva. When you open them up they kind of look like larva anyway, so it was even harder to tell if I was about to get a mouthful of maggots. So it was more trouble than it was worth for me.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #310 on: July 20, 2012, 07:34:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum Rob. I live about a 10 minute drive away from you in Opihikao. Hope to meet you sometime. Check out my website when you get a chance: fruitlovers.com
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 20, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
Hello All, my friend Ethan turned me on to this site a few weeks ago and after checking it out for awhile decided to join. I live in Arroyo Grande, Ca. I'm a member of CRFG and have been growing sub-tropical s for about 16yrs. I'm a retired welder with a love of growing plants from seed and cuttings, since joining CRFG have learned to graft and amassed a collection of stone fruits, avocado,white sapote,macadamia, and many others. Have a greenhouse attached to south side of house where I propagate plants and try to keep some Tropicals alive. This from is very interesting and looking forward to learning more from you all

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 21, 2012, 09:06:23 AM »
Howdy Robert...neighbor, sure seems like a great forum, welcome aboard.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 21, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »
Hey Jack, thanks for welcome how's the Avo's growing over on the warm side of the Mesa!

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 21, 2012, 11:42:10 PM »
Hi All,
I have always wanted to grow a more edible landscape, but just had to many other things going. I am now wanting to plant some rare/exotic tasty fruit.

We moved to Ft. Lauderdale in 1996. I am originally from Texas, but married a Navy pilot so after Texas we moved to the Silicone Valley area of CA, then to Key West, on to PA just north of Philly and then back to Florida. He is still in the Navy Reserves and will retire this year as a Captain after 27 years. He also flies 757s and 767s for American Airlines.

I have always enjoyed plants and at one time had about 2,000 orchids. I was also vice president of the Davie Orchid Society for a while.  I worked for an aquaculture wholesale place in Davie growing corals for the trade till about 2 years ago. This job went along well with my reef tank addiction. I had a 300, 180, 90, 45 and 12 gallon going at the same time. Now I only have the 180 and the 12 gallon. I am also thinking of taking them down, but since I have had reef tanks for the last 23+ years it is hard to get rid of them all.

Unfortunately I  am the type to go overboard when getting into a hobby. With the fruit trees/plants I am really going to have to restrain myself. We dont have much property.

The fruits that I have are:
Carrie Mango - planted about 10 years ago and produced hundreds of mangos this season
Grafted citrus tree from HD that I bought about 8 months ago. It has a Meyers Lemon, Persian Lime, Ruby Red Grapefruit, Minneola Tangelo, a tangerine and a navel orange all grafted on it. I forget the cultivars of the last two.
American Beauty Dragon Fruit rooted cuttings which I need to plant.
Purple Haze Dragon Fruit which I bought today. Has 2 flowers so I will have to see what happens.
Red Lady Papaya which I bought today.
Arkins Macadamia Nut tree which I bought today.

I would like to have 1-2 other varieties of mangoes grafted onto the Carrie. I would also like to plant a Jackfruit and a few other fruits. My problem right now is to try to decide which others I will plant. Only time will tell as I learn more and am able to taste some in order to make my decisions. I am really looking forward to the experience.
Renee

VyVy

• southern CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 22, 2012, 11:30:23 AM »

thank you Jackfruitwhisperer69 for the warm welcome

and hello everyone

I am very new to growing tropical fruit trees and gardening (started 6 months ago)
So far, I've got a few Sugar apples (trai na or mang cau ta), logan (nhan), lychee (trai vai), guavas (oi xa li), mexican lime (chanh me), calamondin (tac chua), atemoya(mang cau Do thai), june plum (coc' thai')

Since I grew up in a tropical country, they grew in me. I have a very deep passion for tropical fruits. Almost every other year, I went back to my country to eat fruits. I figured it's cheaper to grow them and eat here

There is so much I don't know about them, right now I want to learn grafting sugar apple to a cherimoya tree, since I was told Cherimoya root will do very well in Southern CA. This will be my first project and also that's how I found this forum

VyVy from Southern CA

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 23, 2012, 04:09:37 AM »
There is so much I don't know about them, right now I want to learn grafting sugar apple to a cherimoya tree, since I was told Cherimoya root will do very well in Southern CA. This will be my first project and also that's how I found this forum
Interesting. Cherimoya pollination was how I found CRFG. The Fruit Facts were always the first few results when I searched for any fruit back then. Welcome to the forum. Create new topics to ask about anything you want or share what you have and know.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 23, 2012, 09:13:17 PM »
Renee,

Good to have another South Florida transplant from Texas here!

Colombo973

• French Guiana - South America
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 24, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »
Hi everybody,

I'm Richard from French Guiana, in south America. I'm growing worldwide tropical fruit trees since two years. I found the forum last month and decided to join us.
Eugenias and Garcinias are my favorites fruit trees but i'm open to all yummy fruits (Durians !!!).
Sorry for my low english level !

Regards,

Richard

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 24, 2012, 11:48:48 AM »
Hello Richard,

Good to see you here.

Tomas

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 24, 2012, 12:18:39 PM »
Richard,

Welcome to the forums! Your locations sounds like an exotic tropical area :).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 25, 2012, 01:09:13 AM »
Wow so many new folks, welcome Vy Renee, Richard.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

2manytoyz

• Merritt Island, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
    • My Homepage
« Reply #322 on: July 25, 2012, 09:53:09 AM »
Hi all,

We found out about this forum after attending a mango seminar by Joe (Mangoman2).  We moved to Merritt Island, FL, late last year.  The previous owner had planted a number of trees, according to the 2x4 header in the shed:

After searching the property, I've come to the conclusion that the mango and banana trees must have died.  The other trees are alive, but obviously have been neglected.  I'm working on feeding/pruning/spraying the remaining ones.

We also have ordered a Glenn and Zill mango trees. 

Neither of us care much for grapefruit trees, so these might end up being replaced, especially since they're in rough shape.

We have a 0.66 acre lot, but about half of it is conservation area, so nothing can be done with it.  The upside is NO neighbors behind us!  Very tropical here on the island.  Recently planted a pineapple as well.

Looking forward to learning and sharing.

Robert & Dawn
Robert & Dawn
Merritt Island, FL
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

ReneeFLL

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 25, 2012, 02:14:09 PM »
Renee,

Good to have another South Florida transplant from Texas here!
Katie what part of Texas? I was raised in Corpus Christi, but went to school in Dallas and San Angelo.

ReneeFLL

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 25, 2012, 02:22:11 PM »
Wow so many new folks, welcome Vy Renee, Richard.

Thanks for the welcome. Where in DR do you live? I used to fly to Santo Domingo with Pan Am (the new PA, not the original). Last time I flew there was in '98 after hurricane Georges went thru. We did a charity relief flight with the Sammy Sosa organization. Had a baseball signed and my picture taken with him. Hubby still flies there sometimes.