Author Topic: Pond apple (annona glabra) cold tolerance  (Read 2527 times)

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Pond apple (annona glabra) cold tolerance
« on: February 26, 2021, 09:02:51 PM »
What is h cold tolerance for annona glabra? I z 9b and heard the only hardy to 32 degrees
Cheers!

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Pond apple (annona glabra) cold tolerance
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 09:40:33 PM »
There is no point to growing pond apple in the Bay Area . Its a swamp rootstock.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 09:43:51 PM »
There is no point to growing pond apple in the Bay Area . Its a swamp rootstock.

This^

They grow wild on the edges of water sources here in south FL.

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 09:59:25 PM »
What is h cold tolerance for annona glabra? I z 9b and heard the only hardy to 32 degrees
I know someone have Annona glabra in her yard and get colder 32 degrees just recently down 26 degrees all of them  just growing out there in the wild

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 11:34:54 PM »
Now to all of you saying the fruit is trash, I don’t care my hobby is collecting fruit trees especially annonas, and I will find a way to enjoy8 the fruit
If I don’t like the fruit, I could admire the tree
Cheers!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 11:19:29 AM »
I have occasionally eaten pond apple and found them to vary in quality. The biggest thing lacking is sweetness in my opinion. I would not call them bland. There are a lot of flavors going on (including a pine resin taste that puts a lot of people off in some of the fruits). As far as cold hardiness, I have seen them growing wild in 9b here in Florida, but the trees are not very old (10-15 years) and are only in very swampy areas that have a certain ampunt of natural cold protection. My guess would place them between sugarapple and atemoya in hardiness.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 01:46:37 PM by Galatians522 »

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 11:26:12 AM »
Then why not focus on collecting more good tasting Annona’s that you aren’t growing yet? You could fill your yard with different Annona’s and then some without needing to grow a fruit that can’t be kept alive at your location and makes unpleasant fruit. There are 5 Rollinia’s from southern Brazil that are a possibility at your location, are you growing any of them? Sylvatica, emarginata, neoserica? Illama, Salzmanii, Senegalensis, even Soncoya . No reason to be the most optimistic Garcinia farmer in Alaska.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 11:35:31 AM »
Now to all of you saying the fruit is trash, I don’t care my hobby is collecting fruit trees especially annonas, and I will find a way to enjoy8 the fruit

I think you will have multiple reasons for not being able to enjoy the fruit.  I suggest doing real research to gain knowledge to know what each fruit is and growing it.  I have seen a lot of your posts as just guesses ans unknown stabs in the dark as if you have knowledge.   Its not a contest to pretend to know everything...
- Rob

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 12:24:53 PM »
It's about to some people make wine or jelly and it's more palatable doing that with them

Bush2Beach

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 01:41:04 PM »
Great, first and foremost it will not survive in this climate so further conjecture about anything else is just burning daylight or thumb diddling or whatever. .
It's about to some people make wine or jelly and it's more palatable doing that with them

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 02:32:41 PM »
Based on what I have observed pond apple should be able to grow anywhere that Illama does with regards to cold. I have no experience growing soncoya or the rolinia species that were listed and so I can't comment on that. They do sound very interesting, however.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 02:42:21 PM »
Based on what I have observed pond apple should be able to grow anywhere that Illama does with regards to cold. I have no experience growing soncoya or the rolinia species that were listed and so I can't comment on that. They do sound very interesting, however.

Its more than just temps. .pond apple will not tolerate drought/extensive dry conditions.
- Rob

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 04:07:48 PM »
Thanks everyone! I will try improving on my posts... in my experience pond apple seeds tend to mold... I’ve tried some and it always molded overnight so I transferred then and hopefully that helps...
I also want to use this as a rootstock also.
Some work could be done on making better selections on this fruit, if you’re interested in a particular family or genus and you wanna make everything in that genus worth growing, I think you might get what I’m saying.
Thanks for all your advice! I’ll try to not act like I’m competing to be smart next time although I’ve had a hard time not using all or none language...
Cheers!
Cheers!

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 04:10:36 PM »

I think you will have multiple reasons for not being able to enjoy the fruit.  I suggest doing real research to gain knowledge to know what each fruit is and growing it.  I have seen a lot of your posts as just guesses ans unknown stabs in the dark as if you have knowledge.   Its not a contest to pretend to know everything...
Ok I will try only using my own research from now on! I have barely any experience which makes me think I should just view stuff and not post on this forum from now on, cause I have a lack of experience and so I usually borrow info from others.
I’ll try to be more quiet from now on
 :-X
Cheers!

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2021, 05:58:38 PM »
The first reply in this thread was probably the best one imo. Bush said it was a swamp rootstock and that it wouldn't be a good rootstock in Northern California (Bay Area). More accurately its a swamp rootstock that grows nowhere in the USA other than South Florida where soil and climate is almost polar opposite to that of anywhere in norcal. Very simply it would likely be a poor species choice for any purpose where you are. They grow like weeds here so if you're having trouble with them something is definitely wrong.

And to be fair, you were the first person in this thread that brought up the quality (or lack thereof) of the fruit. Even though most with experience know this fruit to be poor eating quality, nobody chimed in this thread to say the fruit is trash except you. I agree that the quality of the fruit means little to nothing if it doesn't grow in your climate and soil. There should be some Annona species you can grow where you're at... find them!

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2021, 06:06:48 PM »
The first reply in this thread was probably the best one imo. Bush said it was a swamp rootstock and that it wouldn't be a good rootstock in Northern California (Bay Area). More accurately its a swamp rootstock that grows nowhere in the USA other than South Florida where soil and climate is almost polar opposite to that of anywhere in norcal. Very simply it would likely be a poor species choice for any purpose where you are. They grow like weeds here so if you're having trouble with them something is definitely wrong.

And to be fair, you were the first person in this thread that brought up the quality (or lack thereof) of the fruit. Even though most with experience know this fruit to be poor eating quality, nobody chimed in this thread to say the fruit is trash except you. I agree that the quality of the fruit means little to nothing if it doesn't grow in your climate and soil. There should be some Annona species you can grow where you're at... find them!
[/quote
Thank you very much... I am trying to grow atemoya seeds, Rollinia seedling(gonna be harder), cherimoyas(let’s see how they do...), pawpaw(probably is gonna do ok but I am not sure), sorusop seeds(experimenting with how low the tree can withstand and how cold affects the fruit or leaves, let’s see how they do), and... the pond apple seeds that I am considering that they won’t survive(I guess I’ll just have to find something to do with it I will try selecting the best and keep planting seeds I will try breeding a sweeter one but it will hopefully turn out)(I don’t have any experience but hopefully at least the pawpaw, cherimoya, and atemoya will do ok)
Cheers!

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2021, 09:21:43 AM »
Good luck! I've wondered if pawpaw would grow wherever you're at in the bay area. Give it a shot. There is a grower in the San Joaquin Valley (Lagier Ranches) who grows them or at least they did at one time. Not sure if they still grow them, might want to check in with them.

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2021, 02:38:29 PM »
Yeah pawpaw and cherimoya are much better suited for our Northern California climate and good to take advantage of all the different variety’s available. I had a large pond apple tree with thick trunk that died on me. A lot of people don’t know Northern California gets a lot more rain fall than Southern California so I don’t think it’s that far out to have one survive here. I’m growing toptropicals Annona Sp which they claim to be natural hybrid of pond Apple and soursop?? May just be a good variety of pond apple but I’m going to grow them out and see what happens. They seem to be hardier than the pond Apple I used to have so maybe they are mixed with reticulata or something else?

Good luck! I've wondered if pawpaw would grow wherever you're at in the bay area. Give it a shot. There is a grower in the San Joaquin Valley (Lagier Ranches) who grows them or at least they did at one time. Not sure if they still grow them, might want to check in with them.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2021, 06:28:02 PM »
Hi BayAreaMicroClimate,

Interesting to hear your comments about growing the 'Pineapple Annona' from Top Tropicals.  What if anything are you feeding yours?

I bought one of those from TT last year (2020) in a one gallon pot.  At about 12 in. tall when received, it grew slowly at first but after getting moved up into a 3 gallon pot it began to grow faster.

Then I set that pot in a saucer and tried to keep it filled with water, but it was a thirsty little tree and would take all the water from the saucer in a day's time.

Now it is still in the 3 gal. pot but is closing on 3.5 ft tall, and the main stem has started sending out side branches.  Plus it has been flowering successively but so far has not held any fruit. The flower buds are round teardrop shaped inflated things, yellowish green in color and about 3/4 inch in diameter.  The sepals don't seem to open widely and then the flower falls off.  I am sure that it's because the tree is still too small to hold fruit.

Next step is to put it into a 5- or 7-gal. pot and see how it reacts to that.

Hoping that it might try to set some fruit before our summer rainy season here in west central Florida is over.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2021, 07:34:17 PM »
I have pond apples, lots of them and some are fruiting right now so I will have seeds for you whenever you want.

Some of us experiment and try the seemingly impossible with little expectation, just the pleasure of trying.  I am sure I have had my fair share of exercises in futility, I enjoyed the journey and nothing was hanging on the success.  If you wish to experiment, go for it.  Very likely you will confirm what all these folks are telling you but you will have fun doing it and have those moments of hope and suspense just before what look like a rare thriving selection from your dozens of seed(ling), keels over and prove the naysayers right, again and again. Don't let anyone stop you from tilting at windmills, just have fun doing it, and keep us informed.

Like I said, I have seeds and I will be glad to share them with you.

For me, I have found that they hold Cumbe, Cherilata, Soursop and Hunucma amarilla well.  My Ilama on pond apple is a little anemic. These are all recent grafts and there may be delayed compatibility issues but for now they are going well.  I am in Florida and pond apple grows like a weed (well) here, so long as you have wet conditions. 

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2021, 09:09:08 PM »
Hi I have 1 in a 15 gallon, 1 in 7g, and another in 3g. Yes my experience was also fast growth once in 3 gallon. I only recently moved them to bigger and mine are not flowing yet

Hi BayAreaMicroClimate,

Interesting to hear your comments about growing the 'Pineapple Annona' from Top Tropicals.  What if anything are you feeding yours?

I bought one of those from TT last year (2020) in a one gallon pot.  At about 12 in. tall when received, it grew slowly at first but after getting moved up into a 3 gallon pot it began to grow faster.

Then I set that pot in a saucer and tried to keep it filled with water, but it was a thirsty little tree and would take all the water from the saucer in a day's time.

Now it is still in the 3 gal. pot but is closing on 3.5 ft tall, and the main stem has started sending out side branches.  Plus it has been flowering successively but so far has not held any fruit. The flower buds are round teardrop shaped inflated things, yellowish green in color and about 3/4 inch in diameter.  The sepals don't seem to open widely and then the flower falls off.  I am sure that it's because the tree is still too small to hold fruit.

Next step is to put it into a 5- or 7-gal. pot and see how it reacts to that.

Hoping that it might try to set some fruit before our summer rainy season here in west central Florida is over.

Cheers!

Paul M.
==

Tropical Bay Area

• San Jose area, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2021, 10:53:49 PM »
Hi, I’ve come back after a while of not posting. I have since got a couple annonas to sprout, including a pond apple. Not sure what to do with it to be honest, but here it is

Me being me a couple months ago, I just tried to grow it as a collector item. Not sure what to do with it anymore
Also I got an atemoya to sprout as well as a rollinia (after it got brought outside it died back a bit but the stem is ok)

Also got some cherimoyas as well from someone else. They’re doing fairly well outside. He told me that they’re the best variety he’s tried so far. 😀 Also got 2 other cherimoya I got myself from seeds and online for rootstock, they’re trying to grow but they look scrawny. 🙁

Cheers!

petey

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2021, 09:53:50 PM »
I know someone have Annona glabra in her yard and get colder 32 degrees just recently down 26 degrees all of them  just growing out there in the wild

Yes they can take the 20's for short periods ..possibly a bit lower too.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 01:12:52 PM »

As for molding seeds, usually it means they have not been dried properly, for example the collector didn't wash pulp / organic matter off of them, or just ate the fruit, spit out and didn't wash the seeds (saliva particles stayed on). Wash your seeds thoroughly before storage.
Also if some seeds are prone to molding and keep doing that, don't soak them, just sprout in barely moist vermiculite. Spraying with peroxide helps some.