Author Topic: Mold species on seeds  (Read 2729 times)

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
Mold species on seeds
« on: August 07, 2014, 03:42:19 AM »
Sometimes when I send clean seeds, they still develop a mold. I've seen a few types now, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what they are. I think it would be helpful to understand the molds (life cycle, where they come from, etc) in order to keep them off the seeds.

Mostly I see a black fuzz, a white spot, and something that makes the durian seed develop black spots.

Much thanks!
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Penang
The Durian Tourist's Guide to Thailand

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Mold species on seeds
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 03:50:04 AM »
I have been thinking if it would help if one packs a clove of garlic with the seeds.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:43:47 AM »
This is probably common knowledge to most everyone here, but I've read reference to soaking/rinsing seeds in a bleach solution to prevent such contamination.

I can't help you on the mold ID'ing (big surprise).....good luck!

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 08:47:46 AM »
I agree with T.Tracker but I think H2O2 is better becuase it's less toxic to the seed.
Moh'd

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 08:48:38 AM »
I've been using hydrogen peroxide rather than bleach as it doesn't break down into trace toxins that might damage the plant.

If anybody has any good resources I'd love to see them!

Maybe Mike T has some good info, he seems to know a bit about everything :)
www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 10:32:10 AM »
Cinnamon is often used.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 12:03:52 PM »
Fungi identification is at the spore level. Spores have different shapes and some have ornamentations. The structure that produces spores is also important. Spores can be produced in sacs of some number or outside like in mushrooms, in numbers of 2 or 4 or whatever.

You'd pretty much have to use a 1000x microscope and some experience to identify them. Or send a sample to a mycologist and hope they'll help you.

I'm not sure how well peroxide will kill fungi, but 10% bleach will kill anything if you soak for long enough.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 08:54:03 PM »
Sometimes when I send clean seeds, they still develop a mold. I've seen a few types now, and I'm wondering if anyone knows what they are. I think it would be helpful to understand the molds (life cycle, where they come from, etc) in order to keep them off the seeds.

Mostly I see a black fuzz, a white spot, and something that makes the durian seed develop black spots.

Much thanks!

I'm not a fungi kinda guy. But i can tell you that not all fungi are bad. Some seeds will develop fungi when in the soil and still sprout fine. But if your seeds develop fungi in transit that's a bad sign. Best is to wash them first and then soak in hydrogen peroxide weak solution for 5 minutes. 1% bleach also will work. 10% as Fyliu suggested is way too strong. Don't like to use bleach myself, nasty stuff. Washing and peroxide will work fine.
I think in transit poking some tiny vent holes in plastic bag also helps.
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 02:08:07 AM »
Oscar's right. It sounded like I was using 10% for seeds but my mind went off to another topic. That's for killing off everything so you can grow mushrooms on the straw or whatever substrate. Pasteurization works and avoids the chemicals. I never got started because I have so much gnats just growing plants.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 12:25:50 AM »
Some moulds (molds) are worse than others and seeds in the wild don't seem to suffer anywhere near as much.Heavy mold infestation is not a death sentence for all species having a gelatinous coat over the seeds or a thick seed shell.I try to get rid of the sugar and starch 'substrat' as much as possible and dry seeds tp the point of making them inhospitable for fungi.Packing material should not be over moistened.
Peroxide that is pretty dilute does seem to help and copper based fungicides at half strength help as well.

durianwriter

• on the durian hunt
    • View Profile
    • Year of the Durian
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 02:40:27 AM »
Okay thanks for the tips. I do use a 3% hydrogen peroxide wash for all seeds I pack.

Actually I just made a video for youtube about how I wash and pack seeds. Any feedback is really appreciated :)

How to Send Durian Seeds to Friends and Family At Home

www.yearofthedurian.com
Author of:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk