Author Topic: Your first legitimate mango of 2015 is.....?  (Read 28426 times)

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Your first legitimate mango of 2015 is.....?
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2015, 06:58:02 AM »
I had what i wohld describe as 75% legitimate as it could have used more time on the tree however it had split on one cheek so i picked it.  It is the first fruit harvested from my tree, a Frances Hargrave .  Taste was very tropical with a distinct coconut with a hint of vanilla.   I would compare it to that tropical flavored  lifesaver that has a creamy peach color.  Texture was firm with a hint of unobjectionable fiber.  Definitely had great flavor and potential,  i can only see this improving with more time on the tree.

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to trying the fruit from my Francis Hargrave very soon as well.  The tree has been in the ground a few years and this is the first time it held fruit. 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2015, 12:43:19 AM »
This LZ was a drop but was very legitimate.   Very sweet and flavor was classic LZ.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 01:02:15 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2015, 12:47:53 AM »
Ya killing me as I stare at my PPKs   :-[ :'(

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2015, 03:38:06 PM »
The Francis Hargrave sounds great, it looks like an unusual teardrop shape?

----

Here is a clear video of the first mango in my neighborhood (Zill or ???) that should offer better detail for ID purposes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w8ydQLqXm0

And a photo:

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2015, 03:46:50 PM »
The Francis Hargrave sounds great, it looks like an unusual teardrop shape?

----

Here is a clear video of the first mango in my neighborhood (Zill or ???) that should offer better detail for ID purposes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w8ydQLqXm0

And a photo:

The shape and color continue to be zill-esque but the size of the fruit in the video would definitely be on the high end for zill.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2015, 12:17:21 AM »
Brett - yes, the one in the picture and what i have left on the tree are different in that the bottom comes to a distinct point.  Tony/Alex - is this consistent with the fruit on your trees?
- Rob

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2015, 08:57:33 AM »
FINALLY my first legitimate mango EVER!!! Thanks to the advice etc..... on here, did enough right things to get my PPK happy.  First season of fruit on this tree, and this i first of 22 to ripen.  Thanks to BSbullie for keeping my patience up lol I wanted to pick it a few days back. Gave it 2 more days and listened to his advice  (and wish I could have given her until tonight for a tiny spot of green but work, and go figure spotted the first squirrel in the yard this morning in a long time) and now have an almost perfect 99% yellow, just with a little give first PPK/mango of 2015/ever.  This will be the sweetest one ever regardless how it tastes. 

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2015, 09:13:14 AM »
FINALLY my first legitimate mango EVER!!! Thanks to the advice etc..... on here, did enough right things to get my PPK happy.  First season of fruit on this tree, and this i first of 22 to ripen.  Thanks to BSbullie for keeping my patience up lol I wanted to pick it a few days back. Gave it 2 more days and listened to his advice  (and wish I could have given her until tonight for a tiny spot of green but work, and go figure spotted the first squirrel in the yard this morning in a long time) and now have an almost perfect 99% yellow, just with a little give first PPK/mango of 2015/ever.  This will be the sweetest one ever regardless how it tastes. 

Congratulations.  Looks like  perfectly ripened PPK.  I am surprised we are not already seeing a well gnawed upon seed.  What are you waiting for to start eating.  BTW.......I have noticed that birds, especially red headed woodpeckers, seem to be the culprits in destroying my PPKs.  Anyway......enjoy!!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2015, 10:42:07 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on the woodpeckers, would have never suspected them. In my neighborhood we have more woodpeckers than squirrels, or atleast we see woodpeckers more often lol.  I have been leaving my dogs out, bought an owl decoy for fence, put a gator replica under the tree LOL Not sure if this has kept the squirrels away the last week or so, but definetly saw the first squirrel in a long time in the backyard this morning. Very curious if it was coming for the ripe PPK or not, if so, we can not be friends LOL

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2015, 01:06:33 PM »

Good for you Fisherking!!! Nice job...enjoy your delicious and very pretty mango  8) ;D

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2015, 06:43:39 PM »
A little runt of a Pickering picked two days ago (and by picked I mean I touched it and it fell into my hands). First mango of the season and first fruit ever for this tree. No high expectations due to all that (and fact that it had a few nicks from a weed eater and/or curious rodent), but boy was it delicious and full flavored. Didnt last long as my wife and 5 year old hovered over it. I'm lucky I got a few bites!

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2015, 06:51:15 PM »
So sad... this will not be my year. My first ever season for fruiting, and the last Mallika I had dropped. It was big enough to look like a mango, but way too small to qualify - maybe 3". So desperate, I am leaving it out to see if it will ripen at all, so I can just get a taste of what they will be like! I'll have to wait all the way until next year... and hopefully get a lot more candidates from both Mallika and Maha (and knowing me possibly another variety if I give in and put yet another tree in the ground...). :(

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2015, 08:56:58 PM »
My first mango was yesterday, a small Glenn. Good taste but far from what I've come to expect. Then again this is a super early season for me. My Glenn usually ripens in laid-late June. Should have one or two more by this weekend.
Going to hit up Bender this weekend to get a more legitimate fix.
Keith

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2015, 11:02:57 PM »
A little runt of a Pickering picked two days ago (and by picked I mean I touched it and it fell into my hands). First mango of the season and first fruit ever for this tree. No high expectations due to all that (and fact that it had a few nicks from a weed eater and/or curious rodent), but boy was it delicious and full flavored. Didnt last long as my wife and 5 year old hovered over it. I'm lucky I got a few bites!
Should I wait until my Pickering mango fruit falls from the tree?  I have 3 of them on my little 7g tree?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2015, 11:43:39 PM »
Do not wait till it drops  (at least not on purpose ).  The Pickering should attain a substantial to entire golden/peach coloration with red dots/speckling on the shoulder prior to picking.    Once picked, let it sit in an area with "outdoor ambient temperature " such as a screened porch, carport or garage  until soft and even some black spits form.  This is when it will be optimsl flavor,  sweetness and its strongest coconut flavor.   For best tadte, consume at room temperature,  do not refrigerate.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2015, 01:12:37 PM »
My first mango was yesterday, a small Glenn. Good taste but far from what I've come to expect. Then again this is a super early season for me. My Glenn usually ripens in laid-late June. Should have one or two more by this weekend.
Going to hit up Bender this weekend to get a more legitimate fix.
Keith

Ahh, the watered down Glenn mango......welcome to South Florida mango reality.  They smell wonderful and leave you wanting in the flavor intensity front.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

cmichael258

• St. Pete, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: My first legitimate mango of 2015 is Carrie. And yours is?
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »
Pickering almost done with a couple, probably need to remove them in the next day or two and let them ripen in the kitchen. Cogshall close behind. Mallika needs few more weeks, as does NDM's crop from its second flush (the first few dropped/split) -- mid-June, I'd guess. Graham's are smaller still, about golf-ball size; Neelam further behind.

Congrats StPeteMango

My Carrie has only 2 that will probably be ready next month. The NDM has only one and if we have more rain like we did on Tuesday it will most likely split. The Kent is still holding 40 - 50 and the ground is littered with ones that have dropped.

I might have to make a run down to Pine Island in a few weeks to satisfy the cravings.
Michael

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2015, 03:20:24 PM »
I love reading this thread ....... waiting eagerly for our first one in August

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2015, 03:46:00 PM »
Do not wait till it drops  (at least not on purpose ).  The Pickering should attain a substantial to entire golden/peach coloration with red dots/speckling on the shoulder prior to picking.    Once picked, let it sit in an area with "outdoor ambient temperature " such as a screened porch, carport or garage  until soft and even some black spits form.  This is when it will be optimsl flavor,  sweetness and its strongest coconut flavor.   For best tadte, consume at room temperature,  do not refrigerate.
Rob,
Based on that how long to you think for this...

always longing for a JA Julie

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2015, 03:57:46 PM »
My first legitimate mango was this, and it was actually very good ...

Otherwise it's a very close race for first from my yard between Pickering & Graham...hoping before May is out.

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2015, 04:13:34 PM »
Those Haitian mangoes are, to quote Sir Charles Barkley, turrible. Got a couple at either Western Beef or Penn Dutch - too much fiber, mehh.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2015, 04:19:17 PM »
Rob,
Based on that how long to you think for this...

If I had to guess today based on that picture, 2-4 weeks.  Pick it too early and it will wrinkle and/or breakdown internally and not properly ripen to what it should be.

- Rob

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2015, 05:48:07 PM »
Thanks Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2015, 07:11:42 PM »
Picked my second legit mango today - a nicely sized and pleasant aroma Glenn. Could have left it on tree a few more days, but the squirrels were watching. They're always watching. I figure it should be ready to eat this weekend.

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2015, 07:51:36 PM »
Looks like another PPK will be my second mango of the season. Just noticed her this afternoon, 90 % yellow, probably 2 more days and she should be ready. Gonna leave this one on an extra day longer than the first to see if any flavor change.  Coconut cream still holding strong but no color change what so ever.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk