Author Topic: Your first legitimate mango of 2015 is.....?  (Read 28436 times)

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Your first legitimate mango of 2015 is.....?
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2015, 08:52:18 PM »
What about Cogshall?  When do you know when to pick it?

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2015, 07:50:16 AM »

The green starts turning a nice yellow.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2015, 07:56:29 AM »

and the dull hazy red loses the haze and brightens in color.
- Rob

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2015, 01:46:28 PM »
Then my cogshall is a ways away too lol

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2015, 02:13:19 PM »

Coincidence...just noticed this years first ripe fruit on my Cogshall tree and it had nice vivid yellow and red coloring.

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2015, 12:20:05 AM »
My 2nd and 3rd mangoes where also from PPK picked today.  I don't know if I am just getting better at judging their ripeness, but these 2 especially the third were MUCH better than the first.  The third one was like lemon candy with a mild hint of mango. Even my mother in law who is very finicky with fruit and is very traditional with mango flavors did NOT turn this one away. Said it was one of the most delicious mangoes she has eaten in a long time.   ;D Very proud of my little tree.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2015, 12:45:43 AM »
Ate a small coco cream mango that began ripening on the tree.  Not as good as I was expecting, but still very enjoyable. I was expecting that since it was the very first fruit to ripen. I had a similar experience with the glenn last season. The first fruit to ripen was on the small side and it tasted like water with a hint of mango. Much more bland than the fully sized glenns that ripened after that. If that's the case with the coco cream, then I really can't wait to taste a full-sized properly ripened mango. Now I have full-sized coconut cream mango ripening up in the screen enclosure. It was already 50 percent colored-up before I harvested it and is actually now ripening more complete and even quicker than the first pigmy coco cream that I ate.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:50:30 AM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2015, 08:41:54 AM »
Ate a small coco cream mango that began ripening on the tree.  Not as good as I was expecting, but still very enjoyable. I was expecting that since it was the very first fruit to ripen. I had a similar experience with the glenn last season. The first fruit to ripen was on the small side and it tasted like water with a hint of mango. Much more bland than the fully sized glenns that ripened after that. If that's the case with the coco cream, then I really can't wait to taste a full-sized properly ripened mango. Now I have full-sized coconut cream mango ripening up in the screen enclosure. It was already 50 percent colored-up before I harvested it and is actually now ripening more complete and even quicker than the first pigmy coco cream that I ate.

What colors or how do you know CoCo is ready to go? 

fisherking73

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2015, 08:42:23 AM »
Mine seems to have started a hint of yellow on the shoulders.

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2015, 07:01:31 AM »
Just plucked this guy off my tree this morning.  Cogshall weighing in at 1lb, 1.75oz.

However, I also found this one on the ground.  Happened during the night so I'm guessing a rat. . .

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2015, 01:02:04 PM »
Nice pics of your mangoes everyone and thanks for all the advice/info on when to pick.  Another question:  do NDM normally grow in clumps? I have some fruits that have 2,3,4 growing right next to each. 

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2015, 02:06:30 PM »
Nice pics of your mangoes everyone and thanks for all the advice/info on when to pick.  Another question:  do NDM normally grow in clumps? I have some fruits that have 2,3,4 growing right next to each.

They can, but do not always.  Clump growers will generally be smaller than single held fruits.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2015, 09:47:46 AM »
Not Counting Rosi, my first legitimate mango from my yard was a delicious Dot I picked yesterday.
I had a half-size Dot last week, but it tasted a bit of wine (fermentation?).

Through the kindness of forum members I got to taste my first Angie this week. I found it a bit disappointing. But this is still May, gosh darn it, and I suspect the tree it came from is still quite young.  The flesh near the skin reminded me of Graham, which (for me) is not necessarily a good thing.

The Fantasia Princess I tasted was good, but not as rich as the mid-season ones I remember from last year.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2015, 10:09:35 AM »
Not Counting Rosi, my first legitimate mango from my yard was a delicious Dot I picked yesterday.
I had a half-size Dot last week, but it tasted a bit of wine (fermentation?).

Through the kindness of forum members I got to taste my first Angie this week. I found it a bit disappointing. But this is still May, gosh darn it, and I suspect the tree it came from is still quite young.  The flesh near the skin reminded me of Graham, which (for me) is not necessarily a good thing.

The Fantasia Princess I tasted was good, but not as rich as the mid-season ones I remember from last year.

Did the Angie taste like Carrie?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2015, 10:19:58 AM »
This is my second year with Angie fruit.  One has ripened.  Not a sweet mango.  So far I'm very disappointed with this variety--another case of Richard Campbell-overhype?  And yes, the flavor is unpleasant near the skin.  It does have the lack of vigor/size thing going for it.
John

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2015, 10:23:56 AM »
Sorry Alex, I haven't tasted Carrie that often since my tree died many years ago. So I can't compare them.

But there are at least a dozen Angies on my tiny tree, so I will have more opportunities to evaluate them.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2015, 12:56:43 PM »
Sorry Alex, I haven't tasted Carrie that often since my tree died many years ago. So I can't compare them.

But there are at least a dozen Angies on my tiny tree, so I will have more opportunities to evaluate them.

If/when you decide to junk it I will be happy to adopt it  :D

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »
Picked six more ripening coconut creams and my first NDM #4. :)
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2015, 03:09:36 PM »
Picked six more ripening coconut creams and my first NDM #4. :)

Be careful with the coco creams.  They will get real soft, almost Carrie like, if they begin to get too ripe and due to their high sugar content will quickly ferment when overripe.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »
Thanks for the warning Rob. I don't let them get too soft. I just let them color-up fully and soften just a bit (still firm) and eat them that way. The last coco cream I ate reminded me of a sweet mango-nectar drink called LOOZA.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:45:12 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2015, 04:44:11 PM »

What colors or how do you know CoCo is ready to go?

They begin to have sharp-yellow streaks on the fruit and the reddish parts begin to turn into a bright red-pink color. The colors are more vivid compared to the regular blush you get from sun exposure. I don't let them color-up too much on the tree to avoid any bird problems.  I have them outside in the 90 degree weather in a screen enclosure. Once they have no green color left, I bring them inside.
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2015, 04:44:59 PM »
Thanks for the warning Rob. I don't let them get too soft. I just let them color-up fully and soften just a bit (still firm) and eat them that way. The last coco cream I ate reminded me of a sweet mango drink called LOOZA.

Eeks, I know what that is.  A coco cream should not taste anything like that. :(
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2015, 05:54:00 PM »
Thanks for the warning Rob. I don't let them get too soft. I just let them color-up fully and soften just a bit (still firm) and eat them that way. The last coco cream I ate reminded me of a sweet mango drink called LOOZA.

Eeks, I know what that is.  A coco cream should not taste anything like that. :(

Don't know how they taste now, but several years ago they were good.  Can it be the fact that it is the tree's first crop and the second mango to ripen? Also, maybe I'm not letting it get soft enough? Or, my taste buds aren't too good in detecting minor flavors of a mango, except for super sweet rich mango flavor.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 05:57:25 PM by Tropicalgrower89 »
Alexi

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2015, 09:13:47 PM »
Pickering starting to turn yellow from top to bottom and shoulder with some light red on it.  Pick it when? 10 days?

NDM getting big, still green so still a few weeks away?

NDM fruits in clumps, should i thin it out a bit or leave alone?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2015, 10:16:50 PM »
That Pickering is a ways away.  Just keep an eye on it.  It will turn a yellow/gold/orange color.   You basically want the whole fruit to turn before picking.  It will then need to sit till it gets soft, possibly even wait till it starts to get black spotting for maximum sweetness and flavor.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk