Author Topic: Your first legitimate mango of 2015 is.....?  (Read 28285 times)

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Your first legitimate mango of 2015 is.....?
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2015, 10:40:33 PM »
Thanks Rob!!

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2015, 10:48:32 PM »
My first mango of the year was Manzana followed by Alcanfor and Grefé. Rositas are sitting on the table waiting their turn. Grefé has been the best so far, a flavor some where between coconut and mandarin. The Rositas are tiny mangos, no bigger than a goose egg.
Life is good

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2015, 11:36:49 PM »
FINALLY my first legitimate mango EVER!!! Thanks to the advice etc..... on here, did enough right things to get my PPK happy.  First season of fruit on this tree, and this i first of 22 to ripen.  Thanks to BSbullie for keeping my patience up lol I wanted to pick it a few days back. Gave it 2 more days and listened to his advice  (and wish I could have given her until tonight for a tiny spot of green but work, and go figure spotted the first squirrel in the yard this morning in a long time) and now have an almost perfect 99% yellow, just with a little give first PPK/mango of 2015/ever.  This will be the sweetest one ever regardless how it tastes. 

Congrats man! Will b sweet for sure

- Marley

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2015, 09:30:35 AM »
Pickering starting to turn yellow from top to bottom and shoulder with some light red on it.  Pick it when? 10 days?

When getting ripe--  Pickering develops unique red shoulders that look like they  have droplets of red paint dripping down Jackson Pollack style. I have not seen this on any other mango. I have Pickering that look like this right now (me being 200 miles south of you) but they still rock hard. I keep looking but they are inedible. My take is you have 6 more weeks to go.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 11:21:14 AM by zands »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2015, 09:06:43 PM »
my first legit mangos from a generous forum member from Florida

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2015, 03:20:48 AM »
My first illegitimate mangoes of 2015 probably came from Mexico. But you probably don't want to hear about that? My first legitimate mangoes--i guess they can be considered legitimate as i fathered them-- seem to have come all at once. Summer has really sprung here early. They're dropping like crazy, it's going to be hard to keep up.

Bottom row: Kuini, Kasturi, Harders, Julie
Top row: Florigon, Smith, Ah Ping, Haden.
(Also have some Harumanis mangoes that i forgot to include in photo.)
Very top row: Bulala (Nephelium phillippinensis), Lychee Brewster, Rambutan Rappiah.
Oscar

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2015, 04:31:21 PM »
PPK. Stem was oozing fragrant, clear sap down the fruit, so I picked it.

DM

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #107 on: May 27, 2015, 04:36:38 PM »
You picked it correctly, now let's see what you can do with the eating part of the equation.  Don't waste any time.  It is at the peak of perfection right now!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 27, 2015, 10:23:56 PM »
DOT!  Knock you to your knees intensity. First crop of three distinct blooms this spring. Holy crap, they are great! 

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:28:50 PM by jc »
JC

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #109 on: May 27, 2015, 10:37:38 PM »
DOT!  Knock you to your knees intensity. First crop of three distinct blooms this spring. Holy crap, they are great! 

Amen to that!!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2015, 07:51:07 PM »
Dot, PPK, tough acts to follow for my entry :D, but I've been throughly enjoying some tree ripened Rosigolds off of my tree. Sweet, meaty, and probably truly fiberless even around the finger like seed. They have been bigger than my Mallika's this year. I'm keeping this tree- in the ground too :).
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2015, 11:46:29 PM »
Hello, first time poster and mango lover here. Have been growing mangoes for about 5 years. Many smallish trees coming into production. First high quality mango was a Haden, and then I was hooked. Found this forum and have benefited greatly from the very knowledgeable growers here. Thank you for your expertise!

My first mangoes this year were some Ataulfos from Mexico I bought at an Indian food store. Maybe that doesn't count as legitimate :) Next was an LZ that I picked too early, hence the tartness(wanted someone from the Philippines to try before they left :D).  Then was a first season Rosigold. Nice strong flavor (we have had almost no rain on the east coast of florida this summer), but a little disappointing. I did not think it was very sweet. Maybe the ones later will be better. I have a bunch of NDM4 on the tree and am thankful for low rainfall. Choc anon was also a first year mango for me. When ripened until yellow on the tree and then a day or two on the counter, this was a pretty good sweet straightforward mango. Not very complex like LZ or Edward, but had a definite smooth sweet coconut flavor to its profile. I liked it. Now if I can get it to bloom again this year and have some mangos for Christmas, I will be ecstatic!

Also bought a 8 edwards and 2 Carries which were just awsome as usual. Yep, I'm one of those who was blown away by the strong Carrie flavor. Am also interested in other mangoes that taste like Carrie and can extend the season. Have heard that Angie may taste a little like Carrie. Does anyone know?

E