Author Topic: Mango Reviews  (Read 283628 times)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Reviews
« Reply #225 on: August 19, 2013, 09:14:36 PM »
Fang: the scale I use will switch from grams to pounds with the press of a button so going forward ill post in both units. I'm also getting a gopro camera very soon so I have some exciting plans for the future reviews alas I think I am out of mangos for this season.

-JoeP450

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 19, 2013, 09:25:37 PM »
there is always next year!!

And the year after that!

and after that....

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 20, 2013, 12:28:24 AM »
thanks, Joe - you are obviously a mango scholar AND
a gentleman!

Dogs4Mangoes

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 21, 2013, 10:24:56 PM »
It's time to apologize to Cookie Monster.  I secretly thought you were exaggerating about the glory of Lemon Zest.  The ones I tasted in May were good but not--as my people say--fabulous.

The last few days I've eaten them again. They were fully ripe, had been stored in the fridge a few days. But even with those possible drawbacks......Damn, they were so good I suspect they are illegal in several southern states.  ;D

Actually the same thing happened with a Honey Kiss mango.  The one I ate a few days ago was so much better than those I ate earlier in the year.

Does the heat of August bring out the best in mangos?

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 21, 2013, 11:25:41 PM »
Thanks for reviewing the 'Alphonse' ('Alphonso?') mango. In my opinion, this is a world famous mango. I've always wanted to taste one, so I have one growing in my yard.
At the beginning, my Alphonso tree was growing very slowly. But now, after four years, it's growing quite quickly. I guess it has finally become established at its location.
I was sorry to learn in your review, that it seems to be susceptible to anthracnose, and that its seed is thick. But, since I've waited this long, I'll see it through, until I'm satisfied/familiar with its behavior in South Florida (reliable production, etc.). And then, I'll do a re-evaluation of it.

I was surprised to learn in your review of the 'Edgar' mango, that it's a cross between the 'Edward' and 'Gary' mango. 'Edward' is the standard bearer and the one to beat, as far as quality is concerned. It needs to be crossed with some other mango cultivar, so that the resulting crossed variety has the quality of the 'Edward' but with much better (reliable) productivity.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:27:19 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 22, 2013, 11:16:49 AM »
HAHAHAHAH May is very early for the Lemon Zest, which is a July / Aug producer. I do find that oftentimes the first 5 or 10% of the harvest on a mango tree is bland. But I am a little surprised that the lemon zest (which is normally very strongly flavored) has that issue. It was a really odd year though, with mango mangos bearing a full month or two early.

I'm glad that you converted :-).

It's time to apologize to Cookie Monster.  I secretly thought you were exaggerating about the glory of Lemon Zest.  The ones I tasted in May were good but not--as my people say--fabulous.

The last few days I've eaten them again. They were fully ripe, had been stored in the fridge a few days. But even with those possible drawbacks......Damn, they were so good I suspect they are illegal in several southern states.  ;D

Actually the same thing happened with a Honey Kiss mango.  The one I ate a few days ago was so much better than those I ate earlier in the year.

Does the heat of August bring out the best in mangos?
Jeff  :-)

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2013, 12:51:56 PM »
An update from the Tess mango review I did much earlier in this thread. It seems the seed which is turpentine x Carrie is monoembryonic:

-joep450

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 01, 2013, 09:27:16 AM »
Brief reviews of a couple mangos I recently tasted:

Cultivar 40-33, eaten fully ripe, was very sweet and juicy,  with some coconut taste. It was virtually fiberless, and had a pleasant full-flavored lingering aftertaste.  A couple of the bites from near the skin did have a slightly unpleasant (to me) taste that I associate with Graham mangos. But that was not a deal-breaker.

Cultivar Crystal was very good, low fiber, kind of meaty. If this has good production values, it would be a fine choice for those who don't like the garish coloring of Keitt.

I would rate both mangos as Pretty Darn Good (PDG). By that I mean that if either mango was the only one available to me I could still go on to lead a reasonably full life.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 01, 2013, 11:52:10 PM »
Thanks Dan for the PDG rating!
It's the layman's langueage......

Gary

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 02, 2013, 12:42:21 AM »
Dan nice update, both mangos look very interesting and glad you liked them. Where did you get them from ? I'll have to keep them on my radar.

-joep450

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 02, 2013, 01:17:16 AM »
hahaha I'm really glad that both of you got to try the carrie at its flavor peak. You'll talk to a number of people who say that they don't like the carrie, yet I'd be willing to bet that they simply haven't had the carrie at the proper stage of ripeness. The carrie can go from excellent to gross in just a couple of days (although some folks, like my dear wife, enjoy it best at the 'gross' stage :-).Report to moderator                          LoggedJeff  :-)  lol.  My wife and I tried our first carrie from excalibur earlier this summer.  I had heard so many good things.  Boy, were we surprised at how tart the two we tried were.  Not a complex flavor, just tart.  We must've had them too early or something.  Now i have to try one ripe so i can see if i should put it back on the wish list.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

alnpat

• USA, FL/Central, Kissimmee, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 15, 2013, 07:34:41 PM »
Just wanted to chime in and let you guys know that Ensey Tropical Fruit stand still have mangoes for sale. I tried my first Merritt Island mangoes today and was very impressed. The mangoes that I purchased are still hard and I will patiently wait for them to fully ripen. The guys at the stand were nice enough to let me sample some of the varieties that were ripe when the crowd thinned out. The Kent and Keitt where sweet, juicy, pungent and delicious. I never tried the Brooks or the Royal Purple before and I always like trying different varieties. The Royal purple really tasted like grape candy to me. The Brooks had a mild citrus flavor that was good but only average compared to the other mangoes I have sampled. I am very grateful for the kindness and information provided by the guys (should have gotten their names) at the fruit stand. I will definitely be going back again this season and in years to come. Bravo to the Merritt Island mango growers.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 15, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »
hahaha I'm really glad that both of you got to try the carrie at its flavor peak. You'll talk to a number of people who say that they don't like the carrie, yet I'd be willing to bet that they simply haven't had the carrie at the proper stage of ripeness. The carrie can go from excellent to gross in just a couple of days (although some folks, like my dear wife, enjoy it best at the 'gross' stage :-).Report to moderator                          LoggedJeff  :-)  lol. My wife and I tried our first carrie from excalibur earlier this summer.  I had heard so many good things.  Boy, were we surprised at how tart the two we tried were.  Not a complex flavor, just tart.  We must've had them too early or something.  Now i have to try one ripe so i can see if i should put it back on the wish list.

Umm, got somethin funny goin on there...

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #238 on: September 15, 2013, 09:44:08 PM »
Looks like he cut and pasted trying to quote Jeff....rather than using the "quote function."  Then he even copied the Report to Moderator portion that appears in each post form.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 16, 2013, 06:46:07 AM »
Looks like he cut and pasted trying to quote Jeff....rather than using the "quote function."  Then he even copied the Report to Moderator portion that appears in each post form.

yep, probrably.

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 16, 2013, 12:10:42 PM »
Just wanted to chime in and let you guys know that Ensey Tropical Fruit stand still have mangoes for sale. I tried my first Merritt Island mangoes today and was very impressed. The mangoes that I purchased are still hard and I will patiently wait for them to fully ripen. The guys at the stand were nice enough to let me sample some of the varieties that were ripe when the crowd thinned out. The Kent and Keitt where sweet, juicy, pungent and delicious. I never tried the Brooks or the Royal Purple before and I always like trying different varieties. The Royal purple really tasted like grape candy to me. The Brooks had a mild citrus flavor that was good but only average compared to the other mangoes I have sampled. I am very grateful for the kindness and information provided by the guys (should have gotten their names) at the fruit stand. I will definitely be going back again this season and in years to come. Bravo to the Merritt Island mango growers.

Their names are Jeff, and Mike.

And yes, now is the time to get a Royal Purple Mango. They always taste best late in the season. The Maha Chinnocks are almost ready also.

Thanks, Joe.

P.S. the season is coming to a end soon. The stand will only be open on the weekends from 10am-2pm. Call Angie for special orders.321-205-3122

alnpat

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 16, 2013, 04:27:54 PM »
Thanks MangoMan2 for the info. I like to give credit to whom and where it is due (Thank you Jeff and Mike). Jeff stated that the Royal Purples are finishing up, but there are other varieties that are finishing later than usual due to the odd late flowering season. If anyone is in the area, defiantly worth calling and checking out what they have left. I'm posting a image of their variety list with descriptions and finishing times. Thanks again

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 16, 2013, 04:54:54 PM »
Thanks MangoMan2 for the info. I like to give credit to whom and where it is due (Thank you Jeff and Mike). Jeff stated that the Royal Purples are finishing up, but there are other varieties that are finishing later than usual due to the odd late flowering season. If anyone is in the area, defiantly worth calling and checking out what they have left. I'm posting a image of their variety list with descriptions and finishing times. Thanks again

Thanks posting the Ensey list.  I haven't seen it before.  Of note is that of all the culitvars, only Brooks regularly carries fruit into September.  Thirteen other varieties apparently carry fruit regularly into August.  On the trees with the later than usual fruits do you know if this was a secondary bloom or just a late bloom?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

alnpat

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 16, 2013, 05:29:54 PM »
I believe I remember Jeff stating that many trees are on their third bloom, but I do not know which varieties they are. It seems there are many growers seeing an extremely odd season, but it sure is nice having it extended.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 18, 2013, 12:21:05 AM »
We're already in the middle of September, it'll be very interesting to see who has the last ripe mango of the year, and what variety.

I know, I know, the last ripe mango of the year will be a 'Keitt,' unless a 'Miracle' ('Chok-Anon') mango produces off season fruit from November to Nanuary.

But, who knows, there may be a new seedling mango tree in someone's backyard that will produce the last quality fruit of the year. Or, maybe, say in February, now that would make the news.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 18, 2013, 08:25:01 AM »
We're already in the middle of September, it'll be very interesting to see who has the last ripe mango of the year, and what variety.

I know, I know, the last ripe mango of the year will be a 'Keitt,' unless a 'Miracle' ('Chok-Anon') mango produces off season fruit from November to Nanuary.

But, who knows, there may be a new seedling mango tree in someone's backyard that will produce the last quality fruit of the year. Or, maybe, say in February, now that would make the news.

FYI.....while I haven't done it, my understanding is that Rosigold can produce fruit in February.  But those would be considered early and not late.....or I guess it semantics and depends on your perspective.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 19, 2013, 12:37:35 AM »
With all due respect Harry, you are a genius in your observation. Thank you for reminding me that I also considered it possible that the 'Rosigold' could produce ripe fruit in February.
I thus find it worthy to appropriate/concentrate my efforts in learning about how to induce the 'Rosigold' mango cultivar to produce ripe fruit as early as February.

Harry, you and may I say, myself also, have single handedly figured out how to solve the 'South Florida Winter Mango Void.'

Where I'm at, Zone 10b, Miami, FL, USA, the months of the year where I have no mangos are December, January and February.

How the 'S.FL Winter Mango Void' could be solved/filled:

The 'Keitt' mango produces ripe fruit into November, maybe it could be induced to produce ripe fruit into late November, or even early December.
If we could find a way to induce 'Miracle' (Chok-Anon) mango to consistently produce fruit from ...................December to January, and
If we could induce 'Rosigold' to produce ripe fruit in ................................................................................February., then
My 'Rosigold' mango has been consistently fruiting in the first few days of .................................................March, and then there you have it, Mango 24/7.

I know that there are a lot of 'Ifs,' and that more work may need to be done in order to accomplish this, like inducing the 'cultivars' as mentioned. Or, crossing 'Rosigold' and/or 'Miracle,' with each other or to other varieties, to get the desired results. But, if I may say so, I can already see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We're very close to having mango for all the twelve months of the year, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Again, good work/observation, thanks.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:31:09 PM by LEOOEL »

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 19, 2013, 02:50:12 AM »
With all due respect Harry, you are a genius in your observation. Thank you for reminding me that I also considered it possible that the 'Rosigold' could produce ripe fruit in February.
I thus find it worthy to appropriate/concentrate my efforts in learning about how to induce the 'Rosigold' mango cultivar to produce ripe fruit as early as February.

Harry, you and may I say, myself also, have single handedly figured out how to solve the 'South Florida Winter Mango Void.'

Where I'm at, Zone 10b, Miami, FL, USA, the months of the year that I have no mangos are December, January and February.

How the 'S.FL Winter Mango Void' could be solved/filled:

The 'Keitt' mango produces ripe fruit into November, maybe it could be induced to produce ripe fruit into late November, or even early December.
If we could find a way to induce 'Miracle' (Chok-Anon) mango to consistently produce fruit from ...................December to January, and
If we could induce 'Rosigold' to produce ripe fruit in ................................................................................February., then
My 'Rosigold' mango has been consistently fruiting in the first few days of .................................................March, and then there you have it, Mango 24/7.

I know that there are a lot of 'Ifs,' and that more work may need to be done in order to accomplish this, like inducing the 'cultivars' as mentioned. Or, crossing 'Rosigold' and/or 'Miracle,' with each other or to other varieties, to get the desired results. But, if I may say so, I can already see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We're very close to having mango for all the twelve months of the year, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Again, good work/observation, thanks.

Although KNO3 can induce flowering, its effectiveness In sub tropical climate is not proven, and if it works at all , probably not reliable.  on the other hand, I believe you can delay the onset of the nest flowering, by doing your post harvest pruning, at a later time.

I do not have mature trees to experiment with this, but I posted somewhere in another thread, that it may be possible to stagger somewhat the ripening of fruit, by pruning different parts of a tree, at different times,  in other words,  lets say you prune 1/3 of the tree at your normal time of the year , the 2/3 a week or two later, and finally the last 3rd, a week or two after that.

I thought about this, because I noticed trees that were pruned back by the power company at some earlier time, had developing fruit on the part that was not cut back, and flowers on the side, that was.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 19, 2013, 08:58:34 AM »
The second year that my Rosi fruited, all the fruit matured and was eaten in February.  I have not had it ripen that soon since, but generally much earlier than other varieties.

The February fruit did not have as much flavor as the later maturing fruit of other years.  Possibly because the tree was very young. Or maybe more sun and heat permit more flavor?

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 19, 2013, 11:51:18 AM »
Leo - I feel your pain, or at least sympathize with your challenge!

Have you or anyone else ever thought of maybe
knocking off half the very tiny small fruitlets (or even the flowering paniclaes for
that matter) from a late blooming variety like Keitt, to see if it would rebloom
again and carry's its fruit over into the winter months?

If not doing that on a part ( 1/2)of one tree, one could just do it completely on a
second tree (a Keitt perhaps) if you had a second one then hope for the rebloom.....

I mean, I'm sure this has been thought of....and maybe tried.....and this assumes the tree is small enough where you can reach all the branches to perform that operation.....

I mean, I will definitely try this some day.  I've got 3 Keitts for varying sizes right now...

Gary