Author Topic: SoCal Mangos season  (Read 36163 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: SoCal Mangos season
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2013, 04:31:14 AM »
JF-
Your photos of large established mango trees dripping with fruit. That looks 2-3 times better and thicker with fruits than what I have seen in Florida. I think ultimately your soil does the trick. It will retain trace elements and supply them  lots better than the Florida very sandy (usually zero clay content) soil.  So mango trees grow slower where you are but are vacuuming up soil nutrients better even if no fertilization is done

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2013, 04:35:59 AM »
This is my pickering mango tree that I got from plantogram last year.  It currently holds two fruits about 5" long.  The tree is still very small, a little over 3 feet tall.  These will be my first two mangoes fruited in my yard.  Maybe I should name them, haha.  I honestly don't know when to pick it.

Red coloration with black stripes on the shoulders////even then wait until it gets slightly soft to the touch. That how Pickering is in Fl/ when getting ripe

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2013, 11:58:32 AM »
WOW, WOW, Joe your trees are amazing, can't wait for your taste results on all your different varieties! I just have some seedling in my G.H. that one day would like to graft over a few to try to grow in G.H. don't think they would survive outside up here on Central coast. Keep us posted, your area down there is Mango land for sure thanks for posting.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 12:25:46 PM »
This is my pickering mango tree that I got from plantogram last year.  It currently holds two fruits about 5" long.  The tree is still very small, a little over 3 feet tall.  These will be my first two mangoes fruited in my yard.  Maybe I should name them, haha.  I honestly don't know when to pick it.

Very nicely grown mango, but it looks nothing like Pickering.....not, at least with the ones I grow and have seen here in Florida.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 12:32:12 PM »

Here's one posted by Puglvr in another thread.  Notice no pointy beak.  Maybe yours just has an unusual protuberance.  Time will tell for positive ID when you get to try it.  Are both your fruits showing the same pointy beak at the bottom?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 01:14:48 PM »
J, you need to get some pics of the Diplomatico mango.

007, the Diplomatico is in cangrejo's old house I'm going to got back in September and get some budwood for the mamey, that tree is loaded! I have some more pics of local mangos that I'll post later.

Zand, I was told by Eunice Messner that it takes about 10 years before a mango trees puts out a heavy crop(over 100). You know more about the soil than I do but I can tell you one thing some of the crops on the mature trees are very impressive. Nullzero showed us a pics of a mango tree in Little India in Artesia that was 15' and had over 1,000.

Scott we'll meet again in january at the annual CRFG scion exchange in Costa Mesa and I'll bring some scions for you to graft.

minh

• Cerritos, CA 90703
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »

Here's one posted by Puglvr in another thread.  Notice no pointy beak.  Maybe yours just has an unusual protuberance.  Time will tell for positive ID when you get to try it.  Are both your fruits showing the same pointy beak at the bottom?

Hi Harry,

Yes both mangoes have pointy break at the bottom.  Please see pictures below.  I have also attached the tag on the mango.  If it's not a Pickering, then what is it?  Since I have never had a Pickering mango before, how would I know besides flying you over here to test it out :)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 02:17:17 PM »
J, you need to get some pics of the Diplomatico mango.

007, the Diplomatico is in cangrejo's old house I'm going to got back in September and get some budwood for the mamey, that tree is loaded! I have some more pics of local mangos that I'll post later.

Zand, I was told by Eunice Messner that it takes about 10 years before a mango trees puts out a heavy crop(over 100). You know more about the soil than I do but I can tell you one thing some of the crops on the mature trees are very impressive. Nullzero showed us a pics of a mango tree in Little India in Artesia that was 15' and had over 1,000.

Scott we'll meet again in january at the annual CRFG scion exchange in Costa Mesa and I'll bring some scions for you to graft.

I will post pictures of the tree in Little India, probably tomorrow. I also got the pics from the mango tasting.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »

Here are some from the internet. These and the ones on the Pine Island Mango Viewer are not completely without a point (beak).  From my recollection, mine don't have any beak.  Let's see how your develop.  I remain skeptical....but maybe I'll be proved wrong.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 06:57:20 PM »
here are more mangos  in North Orange County and pics from my friend Steve Ataulfo from Inland Empire( Chino Hills) zone 9B.

This GEM is for our friend Cuban007, Ataulfo seedling, Chino Hills off the 71....a few miles away from your place.This is a ten year old Ataulfo seedling, its holding hundreds of mangos, 1/4 of the early crop has been stolen by gardeners and neighbors or given away to friend who like to eat them green. If you notice, he has a secondary crop that will ripen in November....larger ones will ripen in 4 weeks in time for our mango tasting.

I dont understand why mangos werent grown commercially at a mass scale in Socal ?? They are easier to grow than citrus and avocados in this area.

another loaded tree in Steve's neighborhood 9B zone

back to around my area 10B zone

Bangkok mango

Varecalle

huge mango tree loaded

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:44:26 AM by JF »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 07:05:29 PM »

Hi Harry,

Yes both mangoes have pointy break at the bottom.  Please see pictures below.  I have also attached the tag on the mango.  If it's not a Pickering, then what is it?  Since I have never had a Pickering mango before, how would I know besides flying you over here to test it out :)

I agree with Harry it does not look like the Pickerings I grew here or had in Florida.

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2013, 07:23:53 PM »
JF those pics are incredible certainly appreciate you taking the trouble to upload. I am very impressed. Most of these trees are seedlings right? No freeze there i guess?
I need to move to La Habra , seems like one can grow my favorite fruits there.
Mango, cherimoya, avocado, guava and papaya. I need nothing else.
Wow, thanks again!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2013, 07:44:18 PM »
JF those pics are incredible certainly appreciate you taking the trouble to upload. I am very impressed. Most of these trees are seedlings right? No freeze there i guess?
I need to move to La Habra , seems like one can grow my favorite fruits there.
Mango, cherimoya, avocado, guava and papaya. I need nothing else.
Wow, thanks again!

Thanks mangomanic12. This area is a solid 10B zone but look at what our friends in the Inland Empire grow in a 9B zone! Most of them are seedlings but Florida varieties seem to be just as hardy in this area. Most of my trees(99%) are Florida varieties. I think it was Cuban007 who eluded to the fact that he hasn't notice any hardiness issues between the two, California seedling and Florida's grafted trees, in the Inland Empire and he has a very large collection of Florida cultivars.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2013, 08:44:02 PM »

I dont understand why mangos werent grown commercially at a mass scale in Socal ?? They are easier to grow than citrus and avocados in this area.

J, it is amazing that the only mango that I know that is commercially grown here in SoCal is the Keitt mango and some TA's. Thanx for taking the time to post those pics. Those trees look amazing, full of fruit and no signs of any fungus nor pests. Send me the directions to get to the Chino Hills' place.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2013, 10:04:00 PM »
Joe, thanks for offer of scionwood come next Jan.@ scion exchange in O.C. I'll remind you! ;) 8) All those pic's almost make me wish I never moved out of L.A area :P but not! ::)Cool pics thanks for posting! 8) 8)

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2013, 10:53:33 PM »
Joe, thanks for offer of scionwood come next Jan.@ scion exchange in O.C. I'll remind you! ;) 8) All those pic's almost make me wish I never moved out of L.A area :P but not! ::)Cool pics thanks for posting! 8) 8)

LOL, you wouldnt trade were you live for a deserted island :D email me before the event and cut some for you.

Cuban007, I'll have the specific location for you sometime this week...i forgot. Steve is my co-worker's neighbor.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2013, 11:40:03 PM »
Kent and Valencia Pride are commercially grown in Coachella. They sell them at the Santa Monica farmers market.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Kent and Valencia Pride are commercially grown in Coachella. They sell them at the Santa Monica farmers market.

Bill, I have eaten the VP from Santa Monica not the Kent are you sure its not Keitt? Eunice Mensser use to get her turpentine rootstock from that farm.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2013, 01:18:40 AM »

Bill not to the same scale as the Keitts. When in season you can buy excellent quality Keitts at Costco and other fine retailers.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2013, 02:00:08 AM »
They might be Keitts if that is what you guys remember. I thought she said Kent's when I talked to them last year. I could easily be wrong.

Bill

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »
Wow, those trees are beauties. Up in Vista at Paul Thompson's old place there are some huge old trees that put out some great mangos. I've tasted all of them and grafted a few up. Not sure of the names but all produce good fruit with no fiber. If anyone knows any of the types it'd be nice to know.

Here are a couple of mine down in Chula Vista, we don't get the heat so the fruit is far behind other SoCal areas.

Corriente heart shaped I have a Pickering fruit this year that is heart shaped also.

Kensington Pride

Heidi

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2013, 09:16:43 PM »
Wow, those trees are beauties. Up in Vista at Paul Thompson's old place there are some huge old trees that put out some great mangos. I've tasted all of them and grafted a few up. Not sure of the names but all produce good fruit with no fiber. If anyone knows any of the types it'd be nice to know.

Here are a couple of mine down in Chula Vista, we don't get the heat so the fruit is far behind other SoCal areas.

Corriente heart shaped I have a Pickering fruit this year that is heart shaped also.

Kensington Pride

Heidi

Some of these seedlings have the potential of being the next Coconut Cream and Lemon Zest....I've tried a few and they are very good. I have an excellent Ataulfo seedling which I will name this year. Thanks for the report from Chula Vista this is the kind of information we need. So far I have eat 2 Haden and I had my first Glenn drop this evening...hope to have a mango tasting at the end of August, If anyone has mango that are ripening in the next three week please join me.

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »

Here are some from the internet. These and the ones on the Pine Island Mango Viewer are not completely without a point (beak).  From my recollection, mine don't have any beak.  Let's see how your develop.  I remain skeptical....but maybe I'll be proved wrong.
I bought my tree at Excalibur and all the the fruit had a very small beak. Now that I have thought about it some, it seems that the beak was more prominent on the immature fruit and as the mango matured and filled out it became less apparent.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=583bf5d86bd90c8c684c9f346642eb2a&topic=5814.msg81768#msg81768
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:30:33 PM by phantomcrab »
Richard

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2013, 11:01:04 PM »

Kensington Pride

Heidi
Marklee, some of the old CRFG timers down there might know what seedling mango's Paul T. have like, Emory Walton or Leo Manual, sure a worth saving for sure!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2013, 01:45:28 AM »
Here is pictures from the tree in Artesia, CA

Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk