Author Topic: mangosteen source  (Read 6675 times)

natsgarden123

mangosteen source
« on: June 13, 2012, 10:48:13 AM »
anyone know of a reliable mangosteen source? - the asian market man locally told me that he wont have any
thanks

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Re: mangosteen source
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 02:44:28 PM »
I tried The Fortune Cookie and they told me they won't be getting them in anymore either. They said they lose money on them...

natsgarden123

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 06:03:32 PM »
lol- that's my asian market ...its down the street from my office :)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »
Plus they would most likely be irradiated (if coming from SE Asia).  Not sure about the Mexican Mangosteens. Is there a source to purchase Mangosteens from Puerto Rico ?
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 02:28:53 AM »
Plus they would most likely be irradiated (if coming from SE Asia).  Not sure about the Mexican Mangosteens. Is there a source to purchase Mangosteens from Puerto Rico ?

I think there is only one farm in Puerto Rico shipping mangosteen to the mainland, called Panoramic Fruits. Those are not irradiated. But they have a very small production and usually sell out very fast. I think they sell through produce distributors like Melissa's in California.
http://panormaicfruit.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/09/dining/09mang.html?pagewanted=all
Oscar

natsgarden123

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 04:54:12 PM »

I think there is only one farm in Puerto Rico shipping mangosteen to the mainland, called Panoramic Fruits. Those are not irradiated. But they have a very small production and usually sell out very fast. I think they sell through produce distributors like Melissa's in California.

Thanks for the info and your help  :)

Unfortunately this is what the site says:
 Please do not ask for mangosteen to be shipped to the States. I am sold out indefinitely and am not looking for new customers.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 03:49:52 AM »

Thanks for the info and your help  :)

Unfortunately this is what the site says:
 Please do not ask for mangosteen to be shipped to the States. I am sold out indefinitely and am not looking for new customers.

Yes, i said that Panoramic sells out and usually deals only with distributors. You can probably buy the mangosteen fruits from Melissa's, they do ship, but i think pricey.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 06:42:33 AM »
lol- that's my asian market ...its down the street from my office :)
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 12:06:06 AM »
You can probably buy the mangosteen fruits from Melissa's, they do ship, but i think pricey.

Definitely pricey. No fruit is worth what they charge for mangosteen. IMO at least.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 12:45:40 AM »
You can probably buy the mangosteen fruits from Melissa's, they do ship, but i think pricey.

Definitely pricey. No fruit is worth what they charge for mangosteen. IMO at least.

I'm guessing in about 5 years you will have lots of mangosteen from Guatemala, and maybe some other central American countries landing in Florida.
Oscar

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 09:41:35 AM »
I sure hope so. I still have not tasted one that was actually fresh. Managed to get a few that were well past their prime from any asian market a couple years ago but they were just ok.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 10:10:12 AM »
By the way, according to Melissa's website, they get their mangosteens from Puerto Rico and Thailand and that all mangosteens are irradiated.
- Rob

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 04:03:16 PM »
Actually the website indicates that "Mangosteens must be irradiated to enter the United States.
" Since Puerto Rico is part of the United States, no irradiation is necessary.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 05:40:23 PM »
Actually the website indicates that "Mangosteens must be irradiated to enter the United States.
Thats what I thought but there is an actual difference.  PR is an unincorporated territory or a Commonwealth of the U.S., not part of the continental U.S.  I wonder how this demography affect the irradiation of the mangosteen entering one of the 50 states.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »
Thats what I thought but there is an actual difference.  PR is an unincorporated territory or a Commonwealth of the U.S., not part of the continental U.S.  I wonder how this demography affect the irradiation of the mangosteen entering one of the 50 states.

Fruitguy is right and mangosteens from PR don't need to be irradiated. But it has nothing to do with PR being part of the USA, a territory, or any of that. Hawaii is also part of USA but our mangosteens need to be treated to be sent to the lower 48. USDA makes calls on a case by case basis based on pests prevalent, and also there is a lot of politics involved.
Oscar

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 09:54:56 PM »
Here is the list of agricultural items permitted from PR to the mainland AFTER INSPECTION.  All luggage is inspected upon departure, however if you declare the items below, you can get through fairly easily.

Note that mangosteen is allowed, as well as a few others that members may recognize.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/travel/content/wp_c_puerto_rico.shtml

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 01:46:23 AM »
Irradiation is also used commercially to delay ripening in many fruit.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "