Author Topic: Jack Fruit and planting question  (Read 840 times)

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
Jack Fruit and planting question
« on: August 28, 2018, 06:57:32 PM »
I bought a grafted 3 gallon jack fruit tree (golden nugget) from the local nursery and have 2 questions. I have heard mixed stories about about them fruiting at all in east central fl. I live in rockledge just on the other side of merritt island so the climate is very similar.
What are my chances it will fruit in a few years? Heard some haven’t fruited in 10 years around here and other after a few years.
I cut an old red cedar tree down and had the roots and trunk ground in a perfect location for this tree. Is it wise to plant a fruit tree on or near a ground root ball?

Please help, looking forward to planting this weekend if your info is ok?

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Fruit and planting question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 07:13:29 PM »
If you can burn the trunk into the ground. I have a few Iron Wood I plan to so this with to plant fruit trees in.
Biodiversity is key.

echinopora

• View Profile
Re: Jack Fruit and planting question
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 08:42:34 PM »
Another option if you are real keen on that spot is to drill a bunch of holes in the stump and fill them with low chloride fertilizer. If you have any wood mushrooms local to your area you can drill separate holes and toss some crumbly wood from a log with wood mushrooms in those holes. Cover the hole thing in a pile of good soil and plant on top of the mound. The mound will sink a bit as the wood underneath rots away so make sure it is a good mound. The stump will rot away over time into nice soil, and in the meantime it will become a big sponge that provides both drainage and wicks moisture.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk