Author Topic: Blue Java/Ice cream Banana suckers/corms FREE you dig Cape Coral. Local Pick up  (Read 919 times)

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Blue Java AKA  Ice Cream Banana suckers/Corms FREE you dig Cape Coral. $5 each if I have to dig them.
 I plan on eliminating it from my yard to make space for something else. It is TOO prolific.
 I have about 8 nice sword suckers and about a half dozen large corms. If you don't dig suckers regularly and thin the mat, in a few years it will get too dense to manage. Optional exchange of some of your surplus plants/fruit appreciated if it is something I don't have and would like.
This variety is a heavy producing good banana excellent for the impatient grower since it bears quickly.
 It is relatively drought resistant and grows 15-20 feet tall, the only faults really are that it produces too many pups that need to be dug and replanted upright. If they are left alone and are not vertical, they have a tendency to lean more and more, sometimes falling if a heavy fruit bunch is unsupported.
 I planted one sucker the week after Irma and starting less than a year later began harvesting about 8 bunches  a bunch at a time ( I do not have a sprinkler system) Every few months another bunch is ready.
 The mat is getting too big even though I recently tried to thin it out.  I also have Pisang Ceylon, Pisang Raja, a few Goldfinger (FHIA-01), Raja-Puri and a few Mona Lisa (FHIA-02) available. Western Cape Coral near Matlacha.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 01:07:52 PM by TonyinCC »

Rauf

• Azerbaijan, Apsheron, Baku, 8b-9a
    • View Profile
Hi. Do you still have some corms of blue Java ice cream banana? I want to buy a couple of corms

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
No one has taken any of the corms yet.
 Doesn't your country have phytosanitary import restrictions/customs?
 It would be terrible if you went to the considerable expense of getting them shipped (banana corms are heavy and large, like a basketball sized melon) and then they were destroyed or confiscated/quarantined, or if Covid delayed shipping. Corms are pretty tough but they could rot if they spent 2 months in a box.
 It would probably be MUCH cheaper for you to get a bunch of small tissue culture plants shipped from a commercial source and zero risk of importing plant pest insects or diseases. You would need either a very tall regular greenhouse or a deep pit greenhouse to fruit them and this variety grows with such density that managing it would be labor intensive...

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
Wish I were not on the left coast. Sounds like the perfect banana for gopher country. So vigorous it might keep the buggers busy controlling the size of the banana patch without sacrificing fruits.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk