Author Topic: Maypops (in zone 6a/5)?  (Read 3163 times)

PitangatubaMoray

• U.S.A, 6A
    • View Profile
Maypops (in zone 6a/5)?
« on: July 01, 2020, 11:11:07 PM »
I have heard about Maypops(Passiflora incarnata) and am interested in growing it. Looking up information about it on Wikipedia, it says the Maypop main zones are 7-11. However, some users on various forums and other websites claim that Maypops have/can survive in zone 5. Is there any truth to this? Can anyone provide clarity?   

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Maypops (in zone 6a/5)?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 03:06:34 AM »
I dont have maypop ,but have heard that in colder climates it just dyes to the ground each year, and sprouts from the roots in spring ...I think in zone 5 ,u could just take the top off in fall, since it would die anyway , and mulch the roots with leaves to keep them warm .

micawi

• USA, Missouri, St. Louis, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 06:49:00 PM »
everything I have read is they are zone 5 for cold hardiest of the Passiflora.  It can even be grown in Missouri.  If you decide to grow them please keep us posted.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 04:58:09 PM »
There's a long thread here about Maypops.
But i don't know that it focuses much, if any, on cold hardiness.
I have been growing them for years but to be honest i don't know much about their range. They grow wild here (it's the State Wildflower) so i have never had to think about it  ;D

Good luck!
They are worth growing for the fruit for sure. Just be sure you do not pick the fruit off the vines. Let the fruits fall on their own, and they will be ready to eat either immediately or up to about 2 days later (in my opinion they begin to get funky after that, at room temp).

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 05:00:12 PM »
I dont have maypop ,but have heard that in colder climates it just dyes to the ground each year, and sprouts from the roots in spring ...I think in zone 5 ,u could just take the top off in fall, since it would die anyway , and mulch the roots with leaves to keep them warm .

P. incarnata is basically a deciduous perennial in its native habitat. It's normal for it to die back completely.
In the right climate, it has plenty of time to flower and ripen fruit before going dormant. Some hybrids have difficulty ripening fruit in my climate, however.

oneiromant

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 02:18:37 AM »
I'm in zone 7b/8a, and Maypops are garbage.  They die completely, not just to the ground.  Meanwhile, all the other zone 8b/9a stuff that's supposed to die comes back just fine.

PitangatubaMoray

• U.S.A, 6A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 01:28:25 PM »
The second part doesn't sound right. what plants are you referring to? Also what are your soil conditions?

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 03:35:00 PM »
It might not only depend on your climate zone. I know that in some places near me, incarnata is able to survive our winter.  But for me, they are too delicate. I live in zone 7. They usually die after a season in my garden, even in my greenhouse. There must be other reasons than our climate.
I will try again this winter....

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 08:06:26 PM »
Maypops will likely be able to survive zone 6 if you are further in the South, and have a longer growing season with lots of heat. They completely die back each winter, but they are fast growers and will completely regrow their vines and be able to flower.

Supposedly they can survive zone 5, but that may be more difficult.

Maypop is closely related to passion fruit flower.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 08:26:44 PM »
Mikkel - if you’re growing in pots that could be part of it.
Some say they can but many have reported difficulties, including me.

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 11:52:54 AM »
I planted maypops last summer in my Zone 9a/9b Mediterranean climate. They didn't grow to be big before the winter and they died back to the ground. They have all bounced back in the spring and now they almost have 100 fruits combined and still constantly producing flowers. What I found to be strange is that they died back to the ground even in my climate, while my Passiflora Caerulea is green all winter long and never dies back.

Can I expect my maypops to survive this winter as they are much bigger than last year?

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 12:16:57 PM »
Oh you mean not die back?
Hard to say. If they died back last year they probably still will.
But they’ll be back next spring.

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 01:03:13 PM »
It's OK as long as they produce fruit, but I was wondering if they could survive the winter so that I can try grafting regular passion fruit onto some of them. I have successfully grafted passion fruit onto my 4-year-old Caerulea this spring and now I'm waiting to see if that helps with cold hardiness any.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 02:49:13 AM by nexxogen »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 02:39:25 AM »
It's OK as long as they produce fruit, but I was wondering if they could survive the winter so that I can try grafting regular passion fruit onto some of them. I have successfully grafted passion fruit onto my 4-year-old Caerulea this spring and now I'm waiting to see if that helps with cold hardiness any.

I also have two grafted purple passion fruits on caerulea rootstock . I does help a lot with the cold hardiness, those two plants survived our first freeze last year which was around -3 C and were iced over, they were in a non heated greenhouse which froze , and all winter in a dark basement with temps not lower than 0 C (my basement is not heated and freezes from time to time, but this did not happened last winter). Those two grafted plants ,not only survived the winter in the dark basements, but kept all their last summers growth ,except the leaves ,from which survived very fell (they fell over winter). As a comparison I have tried to overwinter purple pf on own roots in the same basement,  and it just rotted in the roots, and this happened in the beginning of winter when we were not yet cold !!
Thought I dont have experience with maypop so cant comment on grafting ot it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 02:42:09 AM by Plantinyum »

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 07:47:39 AM »
Wow, that’s quite surprising to me that Your grafts survived!

nexxogen

• Bar, Montenegro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 01:43:01 PM »
That's really reassuring, thank you! I also tried edulis on their own roots, unprotected and totally exposed to the elements including our famous northern winds, and their roots also died. I believe it's because of cold and wet ground. So I guess that the thick Caerulea rootstock which has no problems during winter at all can make a difference. We mostly get ground frosts here and the grafts are about 3 feet off the ground.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2020, 04:04:31 PM »
Must be the cerulea for sure, her roots seem way more hardy to shitty weather than those of purple pf. I was amazed tooo ..those same plants now have fruits ,and they began in spring with no leaves at all.

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 12:47:23 PM »
I am in Ellsworth, Kansas.  This is northern zone 6, very near zone 5.  It grows fine here.  I get a few fruit most years.  I think I have only on plant, though I got it from a neighbor and it might have been 2 or more plants.  It had grown under a 1.5 m sidewalk and was taking over his yard.
A couple of years ago, I gave my daughter in Kansas City MO a start.  Hers is also doing fine.
If it doesn't live for you in zone 5, don't blame the cold.  It could be drainage or something else.
I read reports on other forums that maypops do well in zone 5.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 11:32:08 AM »
(to the original poster) Keep in mind some plants you get from a Nursery may be sterile , and not produce fruit, but only flowers.

I have seen them here (-20 F/ -28c) grow , and flower when I was a kid, but never went back or noticed to see the fruit later.

I would think they would  grow also mulch or compost wouldn't hurt 1 or 2 feet thick
or growing on the south side of a wall to retain heat
(but if they die to the ground I do not see a need ,
 but I see a lot of plants not rated for zone 5 growing here all the time,
 but need babying for a couple years to get established.

(if you look at sheffields seed catalog they say they have a seed source from Minnesota
that information is listed under the picture) it may be true but the things are aggressive so I wouldn't be surprised.

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 11:46:58 AM »
I'm in zone 7b/8a, and Maypops are garbage.  They die completely, not just to the ground.  Meanwhile, all the other zone 8b/9a stuff that's supposed to die comes back just fine.

Yeah I'd take Wade's advice must be the soil or something could be the seed source
Missouri botanical garden says typically grows in  sandy soils , but seen them in heavy clay in TN.
Of coarse in the wild they always have a layer of mulch from the fall leaves, and stay fertilized.