Author Topic: Two newb questions Mango flowers  (Read 602 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Two newb questions Mango flowers
« on: January 13, 2021, 04:59:09 PM »
This tree is flowering. At the top there is flush growth that happened over the Thanksgiving holiday. Any chance that the new growth can flower later on?

Do late season grafts usually flower?

Phoenix grafted in August.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 05:16:14 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Two newbie? Mango flowers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 05:17:02 PM »
The growth can still turn into a partial bloom if the weather is cool enough. If the previous flush was able to rest for an extended period of time, you will have a better chance of partial blooms. You also have the chance that other parts of your tree will bloom later on.

Late season grafts, if they push during a period of cool weather can easily push blooms or partial blooms.

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Two newb questions Mango flowers
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 08:05:00 PM »
Yes and yes.  Make sure no fruit develops on the new graft.  As I described in the other thread, pluck any fruit off when eraser head size.  Definitely dont want any added weight stress on the new graft.
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Two newb questions Mango flowers
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 08:31:02 PM »
Yes and yes.  Make sure no fruit develops on the new graft.  As I described in the other thread, pluck any fruit off when eraser head size.  Definitely dont want any added weight stress on the new graft.
Phoenix is an awesome variety I got the bud wood at the beginning of the week I did not want to wait till the weekend. After a long day  my mind and eyes were tired so I basically sharpened them  like a carpenter pencil  I attempted a side veneer graft but I burger that up and just  pruned branches off.I did cleft graft and amazingly all three took a first for me. Phoenix is the perfect name for that variety.

Thank goodness for (music)( mangoes) and this forum. :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk