Author Topic: Flavor of Cotton Candy Mango, also Orange Sherbet  (Read 2860 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Flavor of Cotton Candy Mango, also Orange Sherbet
« on: June 26, 2018, 09:00:46 PM »
I know it's still early in the season, and no Cotton Candy mangos are ripe yet, and as far as past seasons go, probably only a limited number of mango enthusiasts have tasted this particular mango.  But for those who have and can comment, besides being super-sweet, what is the flavor of this mango like?  Saying it tastes "like cotton candy" doesn't really tell us much.  I kinda wanted to put a tree in the ground now and take advantage of this growing season.  Also, if you happen to know, how does Orange Sherbet compare to PPK?  Is there any possible way it could be a better choice than PPK (which I've found to be outstanding)?
John

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile

johnb51

• View Profile
Re: Flavor of Cotton Candy Mango, also Orange Sherbet
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 10:29:37 PM »
That video is exactly what I referring to: "Oh, they taste just like cotton candy."
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:44:22 PM by johnb51 »
John

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 10:34:57 PM »
Sorry John. Ive never tried it although I have one planted. I dont know anyone thats tried it either. Thats the only information I could find about it. Hopefully someone here can help out.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 10:49:15 PM »
But I did get this explanation: take the flavor of true, unflavored, old-fashioned cotton candy--heated spun white sugar--and mix it with a late harvested small-size Keitt, the smaller sized last of the season Keitt, which have the reputation of being better quality and taste than the larger early Keitts.  It is supposed to be a uniquely flavored mango, which it seems from the video neither Marlys nor Har could adequately describe.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:29:25 AM by johnb51 »
John

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 09:16:43 PM »
John, like you, I find PPK to be outstanding. I was able to try an OS mango for the first time yesterday and had two more today and I do not like it. It definitely had an orange creamsicle taste (is it redundant to say orange creamsicle?), which did not appeal to me at all.

macias_97

• Gilbert, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 03:31:12 PM »
i purchased a CC 3g about a year ago, earlier this year i transplanted in a 15g container.  Looks like its a semi vigorous upright grower.  Any else have see the same thing??  So far it looks really good and healthy!
getting there...

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 04:35:00 PM »
Bought my CC as soon as it was up for retail sale.  Put in ground right away and it has grown a nice upright tree.  It was the only one of my trees not to bloom so tree growth is better than most. 

Other types planted later or at the same time fruited or at least had flowers.

I’ll be able to hold more fruit next year, I hope.

OS fruit was more plentiful than previous years and that’s a good thing.  Wonderful fruit but not top dog this year.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:42:20 PM by WGphil »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 09:56:50 PM »
Both a very good and sufficiently complex.
Har