Author Topic: guamuchil ?  (Read 941 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
guamuchil ?
« on: March 11, 2021, 09:23:32 PM »
Is it worth growing?  Someone gave me a tree and I planted couple years ago and neglected it and its now grown into a pretty large thorny bush.  It grows pretty aggressive, I can see this being a pain to maintain and keep in check.  Is the fruit worth it or should I cut bait now?
Brad Spaugh

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: guamuchil ?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 09:28:31 PM »
Cut it fast!  It gets huge.  Extremely thorny.  Small blah fruits about the size of a snow pea pod--- a sorry cousin of Inga'.  If you want white fluff, grow Inga'.
Har

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 10:16:35 PM »
I dont want the white fluff, I tried it and was unimpressed.  The guamuchil is headed to the wood chipper before it fills my whole yard. 
Brad Spaugh

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 07:55:12 PM »
Spent many years wandering the back roads of Baja CA.  Guamuchil are quite common and can get large.  Tried the fruit, unimpressed.  Asking around local folks, could not find anyone who thought it was worth any effort.  It does make good fire wood.

jmart777

• Chula Vista, California Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 04:19:46 AM »
Dug mine out last year.  It was getting too large very fast and fruit was nothing to look forward to.  Also messy and thorny.  I'm limited on space though.  If i had an entire mountain maybe I would keep it...  It attracted bees better than anything and it is a nitrogen fixer.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2021, 03:21:22 PM »
Funny. still waiting for mine to fruit. big growth spurt this year. first since i planted it 4 years ago.
Shane

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 04:20:51 PM »
Funny. still waiting for mine to fruit. big growth spurt this year. first since i planted it 4 years ago.

Hi Shane,

I have a huge tree and it is flowering now.  i can give you some fruits when they are ready to pick. 

Thanks,
Al

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 04:28:31 PM »
This is a good subtropical desert homesteader plant. If you have an acre or more of land and live somewhere like Southern Arizona. Similar edible growing category as mesquite.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 08:24:21 PM »

Hi Shane,

I have a huge tree and it is flowering now.  i can give you some fruits when they are ready to pick. 

Thanks,
Al

Sounds good!
Shane