Author Topic: Fence/Net for sweet potatoes  (Read 2594 times)

MostGrowersFarm

• Bokeelia, Florida, USA (Zone 10a)
    • View Profile
Fence/Net for sweet potatoes
« on: May 09, 2020, 07:38:18 PM »
Happy Saturday!

I am in the process of putting a garden on my property. I hastily purchased several sweet potato slips online but will not have the garden bed ready when they arrive, so I was going to put them straight into the ground. I live in Bokeelia, FL where there are wild pigs, rabbits, and peacocks that ravage through gardens. Do any of you have any suggestions for a cheap fence or net that I can use to keep the critters out? Once I have my first sweet potato harvest, I was planning on taking slips and putting them in the garden bed where I will have a better setup, but for now would prefer something on the cheaper side.

I appreciate any help!

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
Re: Fence/Net for sweet potatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 08:14:25 AM »
You might look for used fencing online ( Craigslist etc), or if there is a restore or even a contractor in your area. D

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 10:10:08 PM »
Happy Saturday!

I am in the process of putting a garden on my property. I hastily purchased several sweet potato slips online but will not have the garden bed ready when they arrive, so I was going to put them straight into the ground. I live in Bokeelia, FL where there are wild pigs, rabbits, and peacocks that ravage through gardens. Do any of you have any suggestions for a cheap fence or net that I can use to keep the critters out? Once I have my first sweet potato harvest, I was planning on taking slips and putting them in the garden bed where I will have a better setup, but for now would prefer something on the cheaper side.

I appreciate any help!
No cheap fence will keep pigs out. Are you sure they pass through yuour place? They haven't hit my place yet but I do know they are around. Dogs help I think and my neighbor has a good barker.

MostGrowersFarm

• Bokeelia, Florida, USA (Zone 10a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 09:44:09 AM »
The pigs come through according to my neighbors, although I haven't seen any yet. I have heard that the rabbits and peacocks are the bigger issue though so I might focus on keeping those out of the garden for now

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 06:22:59 AM »
You won't see the pigs except at night but will see their rooting around and footprints in sandy areas, they may make trails. The rabbits will be out and visible in the early evening, night and early morning. Peacocks you can hear. Hog wire or mesh fencing four feet and a driveway gate will work for everything except rabbits. There are people who wil hunt hogs for you, and trapping is legal.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 06:53:00 AM »
My advice is to keep the grass short in case you dont have a fence to keep the wild pigs away.
My land in the center is full of pork made holes and neighbours lands to rhe left and right have not a single hole in them because they regularly mow the alphalpha on theyr lands.
Now i mowed the grass on my land ,flattened the soil but porks still come back as they feel the scent they leaved in the past.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 09:31:47 PM »
Maybe would be cheaper to put them into grow bags for now?

hanndean

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 06:25:56 PM »
spammer
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 10:47:57 AM by JakeFruit »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 07:45:58 PM »
So landscapers in the UK use bots to post spam on forums?
What will they think of next?