Author Topic: What is, are, your favorite grapes varieties ?  (Read 1942 times)

Vinci

• France, Bordeaux city zone 8b
    • View Profile
What is, are, your favorite grapes varieties ?
« on: August 23, 2021, 03:13:05 AM »
Hi,

I live in France, in an area where grapes and vineyards are everywhere. However, it still quite all the same varieties and it's quite boring when you want something that is out of these standard grapes  ( they are good, sugary,..   but the taste is nothing to compare to a Concord or Noah grapes varieties - I have already taste one these varieties and I fall in love about the complexity of the aroma )

I am waiting for your suggestions about what are your favorite grapes varieties ? Why ? ( it can be about the taste or about the cultivation requirements of the vines, or any other thing )

Thanks,

Vincent

Santa Maria 9b

• Santa Maria, CA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: What is, are, your favorite grapes varieties ?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 12:02:30 AM »
Blueberry grapes are the best flavor wise, I am going to replace some of my Chardonnay and Thompson seedless vines with them this winter. They really do taste like a cross between a blueberry and a seedless grape  Not sure if you can get them in France yet they are a newish variety.

My other favorite is Zinfandel, because the production is ludicrous

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 12:28:29 AM »
Cotton candy

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 03:58:49 AM »
I agree, Cotton Candy.

billm

• USA, Zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 09:08:00 AM »
I have several Vidal Blanc vines, which are my favorite.  I think the fresh eating flavor is similar to Cotton Candy grapes from the grocery store.  The main downside is it's not super productive for me.

Vinci

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 04:32:53 PM »
Thanks for your informations :)

I can notice an A++ had been awarded to Cotton Candy variety. Never heard of this variety here..  and now I would love to try it !
I keep in mind that Vidal Blanc could be a good compromise of Cotton Candy, and should be easier to find in France.

Blueberry grapes sounds a bit, like Cotton Candy too, like a weed name varieties XD
I will look for them ( Blueberry grapes makes me wanna grow everywhere, since we can't grow properly Blueberries here )

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 01:18:26 PM »
Cotton Candy tastes great but it’s a patented variety.  My favorite tasting that I’m growing is Kyoho.

Janet

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 04:05:54 PM »
I grow Kyoho grapes and they do taste very good, even though they have seeds I like them.

Vinci

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 04:12:00 AM »
Cotton Candy tastes great but it’s a patented variety.  My favorite tasting that I’m growing is Kyoho.

Janet

I am gonna be patient and wait for the Plant patent expire.
If I am correct, 2033 for Cotton Candy grapes XD

Vinci

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 04:18:02 AM »
Kyoho variety seems mythical..  I wonder why..   due to the size of the grains ? Their taste ? The fact they come from Japan ( hence the name, I suppose ) where fruits are considers like precious things ?
Do there are several clones of Kyoho ?

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 02:02:17 PM »
Vinci, I think the clones/scions of Kyoho are the same. When they grow them in Japan they just take more care and thin out the grapes to get those large size fruits. I don't do any thinning on my grapes and that's the photo I showed. If I thin the grapes they will get larger but it's a lot more work so I don't do it.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 08:54:24 AM »
I grew my Kyoho from seed because I couldn’t find a source for a plant at the time.  My mom’s growing in Sacramento do not get as large but she gets more than enough to share with neighbors.  Mine in my coastal garden are larger with fewer clusters but take longer to ripen, average highs this summer have only been in the 70’s.  They still develop full intense flavor for me with less bitter skin and some seedless fruit.  Plus I preserve the leaves.

Janet

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 02:48:15 PM »
Recently was able to find some kyoho at the Asian market. The fruit was grown in CA resulting in seeded fruit and small fruit unlike the ones I had in Korea.
My favorite grape of all time - shine muscat. Have been looking for a cutting of this for ages. Have only been able to find the fruit twice in the US.

Kyoho on right, Naibell on left

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 06:53:42 AM »
Janet, if you want cuttings send me PM.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 02:55:17 AM by sc4001992 »

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 11:09:47 PM »
Vincent,

I am a big fan of muscadines. It is a species of American grape that thrives in hot, humid conditions and is quite disease-resistant compared to other grapes. It also has a strong, unique flavor, similar to but unlike any other grape species. If you are a fan of strong-flavored grapes like Concord, you will like muscadines. Purple skinned ones are known as muscadines while bronze skinned ones are known as scuppernongs. I prefer purple ones. The Fry variety of muscadine is one of the most common ones, but there are dozens of varieties. I do not know whether any are available in France.

I am also a big fan of muscats, Thomcords, and the Grapery's offerings (Cotton Candy, Gum Drops, etc. but they cannot be grown by private individuals, yet). As you can tell, I like my grapes to have strong flavors.