Author Topic: Is Citrus Paradisi "Augusta" the same as Poncirus trifoliata x Citrus paradisi  (Read 1453 times)

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
Hey all, just like topic says, I'm curious as to whether the Augusta Hardy variety here https://nurcar.com/collections/recent/products/citrus-paradisi-augusta-hardy is the same plant as the standard OGW Citrumelo https://onegreenworld.com/product/citrumelo/.

Anyone know? I'm trying to find a decent-tasting hardy grapefruit for 7b, and I've not heard amazing things about standard citrumelo, but wondering if there are variants here that are worth considering.

Thanks in advance!

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
A first link shows a hardy chance  seedling of grapefruit,  not a citrumelo.
Strangely, the picture on the second link is also of grapefruit because citrumelos have predominantly trifoliate leaves.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile
The one offered by nurcar like Ilya said is a chance seedling from a red grapefruit in Augusta, GA. I’d recommend you get that ASAP. The one by one green world looks the same too based off the picture majority of the leaves are unifoliate, but they’re not that same.

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
The one offered by nurcar like Ilya said is a chance seedling from a red grapefruit in Augusta, GA. I’d recommend you get that ASAP. The one by one green world looks the same too based off the picture majority of the leaves are unifoliate, but they’re not that same.

Thanks. For clarity, are you saying it appears that both are the same, and neither is a Citrumelo (if the pictures are accurate)?

Zitrusgaertner

• Vienna, Austria, European Union 7b
    • View Profile
    • www.agrumi.at
It seems that there are F2-Citrumelos with mono-leaves. The discription of taste does not fit a F1-Citrumelo  ::)

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile
Yes, for Nurcar.com I can say for sure that the grapefruit offered by nurcar is not a citrumelo and is just a chance seedling of grapefruit that happens to be extremely hardy. They sell it by cutting so it’s not grafted when you get it. Now on OGW I can’t speak for it but based off the image it looks like a citrumelo with probably some more backstory. Would probably need to email them about if it the plant losses trifoliate leaves after juvenile stage I guess.

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
Thanks a ton for the feedback. Ordered the chance seedling; considering just babying it indoors for winter his year before trying to establish in-ground next to the Yuzus and Poncirus. Fingers crossed either way. Zone 7 needs some love.

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
Red grapefruit are a lot more hardy than you would think. I have two I grew from seed that are over 25 ft tall & have never been damaged by cold.

Perplexed

• 7b/8a GA
    • View Profile
This is what mine looks like.

nullroar

• 7b
    • View Profile
Thanks a ton, folks. I'm going to give it a try!