Author Topic: Fruit Finds at Jungle Jim's Market  (Read 4700 times)

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
Fruit Finds at Jungle Jim's Market
« on: June 17, 2017, 11:42:50 PM »
Jungle Jim's is an international market that I frequently visit in search of fruits I have not tried yet. It is one of the few affordable opportunities I can get to try tropical fruits up north. Many of the fruits are totally overpriced and some are not of best quality, but I can't help but buy some and of course take photos!
Fruits that are also there on occasion: Lychee, rambutan, longan, soursop, groundcherry, purple muscadine, concord grape, Francine and atalufo mangos, sour oranges, seasonal apples, Rainier cherries, carambola, tamarillo, white pitaya, ugli fruit, blood oranges, kumquats, mandarinquats, lotus root, satsumas, tamarind, frozen durian, kaffir limes, and mangosteen.

Some New Zealand imported yellow lilikoi and an oddball purple one. The yellows were very sweet. Nothing like the typical yellow ones. The outer shape made me think it was another Passiflora species.

Some ripe "Fuyu?" Persimmons, Pineapple, Asian white guava, and Meyer lemons.

Generic Thai bananas, red bananas, Apple bananas, Green papaya.

Burro bananas and some sort of pumpkin or squash.

Pepino, Meyer lemon, Mamey sapote, Papayas.

Kiwano melons and Key limes.
I love making limeade with key limes. Too bad I killed my tree. (I'm not very good at growing citrus.) :P
Kiwano has an interesting hint of banana.

Precut Jackfruit. I'd totally propagate it if I could keep a tree under 12ft.

Fresh Breadfruit. I have only had it frozen and dried chips. The chips are very tasty. :)

Golden Kiwi was nicely ripened.

Loquats from Spain.

Sapodilla. Overly sweet caramel-ish flavor with pear-like texture. A bit too sweet for me, but still curious to try to buy a grafted tree.

Mamoncillo. I tried these in the Bahamas and they were nice. I like them more than lychees, but less than rambutan. Maybe I just haven't had good lychees yet.. The mamoncillo from Jungle Jim's weren't great. Scant flesh and very little flavor. Ick..

From everything I bought, I am germinating 20+ loquat seeds, 10+ mamoncillo seeds, an 1 sapodilla seed. Hopefully nothing was irradiated so the seeds will actually sprout. I will probably trade some of the seedlings and maybe graft some of the loquat seedlings leftover.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 07:51:41 PM by sildanani »
Anisha

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit Finds at Jungle Jim's Market
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 09:30:50 AM »
I heard a story about a huge fig tree that Jungle Jims has that they wheel in and out each season?
I had family up that way, but never heard about the extensive fruit they offered? I guess all of us wish we
could open up a one stop fruit buffet that we grow and pick daily. Then I would become the Fruit Nazi.
No Fruit For You! Move along
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+soup+nazi+episode&view=detail&mid=3B1ED284359E7CA05D523B1ED284359E7CA05D52&FORM=VIRE

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:43:24 AM »
I would have thought there might be more...lychees and rambutan.  I can get both here in Columbus.  Jungle Jims is an experience but glad I didn't make the trip.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 10:01:04 AM »
I would have thought there might be more...lychees and rambutan.  I can get both here in Columbus.  Jungle Jims is an experience but glad I didn't make the trip.

Come on, Jay...you know that old/discolored jackfruit was making your mouth water.   Lol
- Rob

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 12:30:56 PM »
Is there any markets like this in Palm Beach Co or Treasure Coast area?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 01:20:28 PM »
Is there any markets like this in Palm Beach Co or Treasure Coast area?

Most to all of that fruit can be found in PBC at various matkets (Whole Foods, Food Mart, Oriental markets and even some in Publix etc...with a number if the items grown fresh locally).
- Rob

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 07:16:50 PM »
We have an international market here in Columbus and it always has several huge bins filled with whole jackfruit.  I don't believe any ever goes to waste.  Not bad either.  Not greatest, but not bad.

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 07:27:20 PM »
I heard a story about a huge fig tree that Jungle Jims has that they wheel in and out each season?
I had family up that way, but never heard about the extensive fruit they offered? I guess all of us wish we
could open up a one stop fruit buffet that we grow and pick daily. Then I would become the Fruit Nazi.
No Fruit For You! Move along
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+soup+nazi+episode&view=detail&mid=3B1ED284359E7CA05D523B1ED284359E7CA05D52&FORM=VIRE
Haha, they do have a huge fig tree on wheels. :) I think its a Brown Turkey fig. I did not notice it the last time I went, but I've seen it numerous other times. Some times they sell small fig trees as well. They also have a mature-looking grapefruit tree on display. But I've never seen it fruiting or flowering. The greenhouse there is pretty big, but they primarily carry overpriced temperate flowers. :P
Anisha

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 07:40:36 PM »
I get it. Have you heard of the new Eastgate store? I haven't been yet, but I'm curious. Meijer will occasionally have whole, fresh jackfruit. I'd rather try growing my own.
They did have lychee, longan, rambutan, mangosteen, and even whole frozen durian. But the lychees and rambutans looked really old. The longans are pretty dry, especially when removed from the stem bundles they were originally connected to. There are always a lot of people crowded around this particular stand containing these fruits, so I didn't bother to take a pic. :P  I'll add more photos the next time I go there. I learned they are hiring in produce. I'm kind of interested, but JJ's is a bit far from my place. and they pay is terrible.
Anisha