Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 387258 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2013, 02:15:36 AM »
Oscar, Zands, you guys are a treasure trove of info.
I'm back on good terms with my Muscadine Grapes, now that I'm gonna stop eating the skin.  ;D
Since now I know that jabos. are much larger that Muscadines, and bear in different seasons, I can't wait to try, try, try.
You guys have definitely turned me into a Jaboticabaholic Anonymous wanna be. Many thanks for your help.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2013, 03:48:49 AM »
Thought i'd throw out this candy.  ;) This is my jaboticabe tree fruiting last summer:
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2013, 06:50:10 AM »
Hi Oscar,
Your Jab tree looks awesome...this fruit is top notch and my favorite :) When i have quite a bunch of fruit, i like to put them in the fridge and chill them a bit...very refreshing on a hot summer's day 8)

Hi Adam,
I was meaning to ask you, buddy...what's ya favorite and must have at all times, jab sp.?  ???
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:46:04 PM by Jackfruitwhisperer69 »
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2013, 10:02:45 AM »
Steven!

thanks for sharing all of these jabo videos!

I will have to watch them soon.

to answer your question....which is my favorite jabo...

I like the trunciflora for being so big, thin skinned, delicious, and rare (hard to find fruiting in FL)

but the red jaboticaba is an easy choice for a favorite....the tree is so small, fruits so much, and the fruits are versatile....u can have them early green sour, or late wine red, and very sweet.

but then again...the grimal makes a large uniquely delicious fruit, with thick (almost inedible) skin, but with small seeds, and lots of thick, nicely textured pulp.

I guess I'd say the red...but if I only had the red...Id want trunciflora or grimal!

this is a hard question!!!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »
Hi again,
You're most welcome, buddy :) Sit back and relax...you  and other fellow members are going to enjoy the vids very much(hopefully) :) I wish there was a huge plantation here, like in Brazil, were we can gorge ourselves with them jabs, must be fantastic experience to be amongst these huge trees 8)

From the versatile red jab, to the large, thin-skinned rare jab and then to the large, thick-skinned delish textured Jab 8) All 3 species definitely sound trés yummy ;D Grimal with the thick skin, must pop nicely 8)

Thanks for sharing your favorite jab :)
Time is like a river.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2013, 02:15:40 AM »
Oscar, thanks for the beautiful, amazing picture. I'm in a trance.  ;D Congrats.

Steven, thanks for the videos. I plan to watch them this weekend. I just gotta make sure I have the popcorn ready.  ;D
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2013, 02:49:15 PM »
here is some fruit for that monkey on your back...he needs to eat too, and his favorite food is jaboticaba

White, green, and Purple, (I love to see the 3 colors together), means the fruits almost never stop ripening. (approx, 30 days from flower to fruit)

red jabber T. cabberz

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2013, 03:51:24 PM »
Hi Leooel,
You're most welcome, buddy ;D enjoy them vids and the popcorn :-)

Hi Adam,
With all these white flowers...your tree looks like cotton candy  ::) ;D Absolutely gorgeous 8)
Thanks for sharing, Amigo :)
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2013, 06:00:15 PM »
Looks like it's snowing in Winter Park, looks like snow crystals. Nice!
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2013, 06:13:37 PM »
Thanks guys!

these pics are from last year btw!

this year I've got lots of blooms and fruits coming!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2013, 10:17:03 PM »
Steven, thanks for post links to all those amazing video very cool. Adam nice pic's in the flowering stage, beautiful.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2013, 08:15:57 AM »
I saw all the videos: super great!

I puted one of my 3 little jabos in full sun today (we are in the middle of a dry hot summer) just to compare its grow rate with the other ones that has only sun from 12 to 16hs (they are below a lemon tree). All of them are sprouting new leaves.

Do you think it would be better to give them sun from the morning and not from the noon?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »
Huertasurbanas,

give them full sun!!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2013, 08:42:31 AM »
Steven, thanks for post links to all those amazing video very cool. Adam nice pic's in the flowering stage, beautiful.

Hi Scott,
You're most welcome :)

Hola Huertas,
Hold onto your seat belt...I'm going to hunt for more vids ;D
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »

Hi Scott,

Hola Huertas,

Stephen, thanks for your video hunts. I think it would be helpful if you could organize them by language, or just say which ones are in English. Obrigado.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »
The Myrciaria vexator (blue jaboticabas) are starting to ripen...the flowered approx 9-23-12...so it's taking about 5 months for them to ripen!  They take for ever!!!  and they stay fresh on the tree for a long time...unlike many other species I grow...these take a while to show up, but stick around for a while...The tree is almost everbearing...producing fruits from about April-Jan

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2013, 02:44:55 AM »
The Myrciaria vexator (blue jaboticabas) are starting to ripen...the flowered approx 9-23-12...so it's taking about 5 months for them to ripen!  They take for ever!!!  and they stay fresh on the tree for a long time...unlike many other species I grow...these take a while to show up, but stick around for a while...The tree is almost everbearing...producing fruits from about April-Jan

Almost everbearing, that's impressive. For someone who's looking for just one (1) jaboticaba grafted cultivar, how would you describe the taste (common, average, good, excellent?) and the fruit size (small, average, large, very large?).

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2013, 09:56:28 AM »
taste to me like jaboticaba / rollinia...very nice, and unique...not like typical jaboticaba.

fruits are large, thick skinned with large seed.

if u don't fertilize them and forget water the hell out of them, the fruits will be small, with scant pulp, and large seeds.

the skin is so thick and tannic, it isn't wise to go chomping through it (like typical jabos) it will have a suriname cherry tasting resin, that some dislike....I have come to enjoy the taste of the oils in the skin...but those who wish to avoid it, can simply precut the fruits in half before eating, and suck out the pulp, without getting much of the tannic oils in the skin.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »

Hi Scott,

Hola Huertas,

Stephen, thanks for your video hunts. I think it would be helpful if you could organize them by language, or just say which ones are in English. Obrigado.

Howdy Oscar,
 :) Sure, I can do that :) There isn't alot of English vids on Jabuticaba...there is more Brazilian Portuguese videos..I will try to find more English one ;) De nada, Amigo :)

Hi Adam,
Your blue Vex, with fruit, looks great 8) I got to say, they are my favorite jab, love the tree's shape, leaves...everything ;D 8) I don't know why they aren't as popular as them jabs :-\
Thanks for sharing :)
Time is like a river.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2013, 02:34:15 PM »
Jackfruitwhisperer,

thanks!!!

i think they're not as popular because of the thick tannic skin, high water requirement...and slight cold sensitivity. 

They can be killed in the cold, where Sabara will laugh!

the good thing about vexator is, they bear early from seed about 5yrs, and they can be kept relatively small (less than 10ft)

They are a must have in my opinion...a very ornamental, unique flavored jaboticaba...that has a very long fruiting season!  It's much more resistant to pests like fruit flies and birds...due to it's thick skin.

Also the fruit hangs on the tree forever!  Once they ripen you don't have to pick them all at once (like most jabos)....this adds to the longevity of the fruiting season!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2013, 04:39:18 PM »
Adam,
I love a fruit with a kick ;D From what i see on the net...people prefer to cultivate this tree as an ornamental tree, than for fruit...maybe, they aren't aware they are edible :-\

5 years is not very long time to wait for them fruit, and they are great tree for growing in them pots...like you do 'em buddy 8) I can't freak'n wait for them to produce ;D

Thanks a bunch for sharing more info about the tree...I luv to learn all the facts about them trees :) The net lacks info on this tree :o   
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »
Jackfruitwhisperer,

thanks!!!

i think they're not as popular because of the thick tannic skin, high water requirement...and slight cold sensitivity. 

They can be killed in the cold, where Sabara will laugh!

the good thing about vexator is, they bear early from seed about 5yrs, and they can be kept relatively small (less than 10ft)

They are a must have in my opinion...a very ornamental, unique flavored jaboticaba...that has a very long fruiting season!  It's much more resistant to pests like fruit flies and birds...due to it's thick skin.

Also the fruit hangs on the tree forever!  Once they ripen you don't have to pick them all at once (like most jabos)....this adds to the longevity of the fruiting season!

Vexators (blue grape) is almost completely unknown here, and we got no cold and plenty of rain.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2013, 08:04:51 PM »
Oscar!

I can't believe they aren't fruiting all over in Hawaii !!

It will love your climate!  I believe it's tolerant somewhat to coastal locations...and it's very resistant to rust...and high temps....probably resistant to wind as well...more so than most jaboticabas.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2013, 08:21:04 PM »
Here is one of my 7 gal fruiting Grimals...it decided to fruit way down low on the trunk, in about 50% shade...I'm pleased with how short the trees are!! 

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com