Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Frosthardiness experience with citrusvarieties in zone 7, down to 3,2 F

<< < (2/34) > >>

vnomonee:
Like you I risked my small hybrids outside. My lowest in zone 7a this winter was 12f/-11c. My Yuzu defoliated at the very end of winter but it's pushing out new leaves now. My citrumelo had some leaves curl and dry up and then drop but kept at least half of them and is otherwise fine. My tai-tri didn't lose but 1 or two leaves.

tedburn:
Hello vnomonee, that sounds good for a new restart, congratulation. But it is very difficult to tell early after the freeze how severe the damage is.
My Ichangquat 245 looked pretty good in March and now there are still some more twig damages, perhaps also our bad spring this year with always changing warm weather with night freezes stresses the already harmed plants additionally.
So I'm really curious when the citrus start to grow again and finally to see what is then still damaged. At some small buds are already to be seen.
Think to give an update in a few weeks.

Citradia:
I’ve lost almost all poncirus hybrids when temps reached 5 degrees F and below over several years. Also lost 10 ft tall dunstan and swingle citrumelos when temps never got above freezing, hovering at or just below 32 degrees F for a week. I lost hybrids when they just started putting out new growth in March, when we got a low of 14 degrees, and these were protected in a high tunnel with water barrels next to each tree. The only hybrids that have survived at my place outdoors without being covered and heated by space heaters for the past decade are Dunstan citrumelo, citradia, and Thomasville citrangequat, and they have died to ground and came back from roots several times. I’ve lost several Dunstan and citradia trees too, but these are the only three specimens that I have left. I’ve lost the following over the years: Dunstan, swingle, citradia, rusk, Changsha, mortan, Nansho dai dai, ichangensis, Ichang lemon, carizo, yuzu. I’ve even lost some potted flying dragon one-year seedlings when zero degrees F all night two nights in a row. The small cracks at base of the tree trunk in spring means the tree is going to die; I had a citradia leaf out in spring despite a crack in base of trunk bark and it died suddenly soon after.

SoCal2warm:

--- Quote from: Citradia on April 20, 2021, 10:15:07 PM ---I’ve lost almost all poncirus hybrids when temps reached 5 degrees F and below over several years. Also lost 10 ft tall dunstan and swingle citrumelos when temps never got above freezing, hovering at or just below 32 degrees F for a week. I lost hybrids when they just started putting out new growth in March, when we got a low of 14 degrees, and these were protected in a high tunnel with water barrels next to each tree.

--- End quote ---
From what I have observed, the amount of cold tolerance can go down if the citrus is covered in such a way that creates a greenhouse effect. The very warm daytime temperatures inside the covering then brings the citrus out of dormancy and can make even cold hardy citrus vulnerable to modest cold temperatures.
So I think it is important to describe the conditions of the covering, if that may have been creating a greenhouse effect.

tedburn:

--- Quote from: Citradia on April 20, 2021, 10:15:07 PM ---I’ve lost almost all poncirus hybrids when temps reached 5 degrees F and below over several years. Also lost 10 ft tall dunstan and swingle citrumelos when temps never got above freezing, hovering at or just below 32 degrees F for a week. I lost hybrids when they just started putting out new growth in March, when we got a low of 14 degrees, and these were protected in a high tunnel with water barrels next to each tree. The only hybrids that have survived at my place outdoors without being covered and heated by space heaters for the past decade are Dunstan citrumelo, citradia, and Thomasville citrangequat, and they have died to ground and came back from roots several times. I’ve lost several Dunstan and citradia trees too, but these are the only three specimens that I have left. I’ve lost the following over the years: Dunstan, swingle, citradia, rusk, Changsha, mortan, Nansho dai dai, ichangensis, Ichang lemon, carizo, yuzu. I’ve even lost some potted flying dragon one-year seedlings when zero degrees F all night two nights in a row. The small cracks at base of the tree trunk in spring means the tree is going to die; I had a citradia leaf out in spring despite a crack in base of trunk bark and it died suddenly soon after.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your much experiences, very interesting. What I also could observe:
That Thomasville is very cold tolerant, up to now no damage, not even a leave.
That the damages still get more severe the months after the longer deep freeze. Thats really difficult, because I think final result will only be seen in June or July. So I already have lost a Dunstan and my 5* Citrumelo is in pretty bad shape.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version