Author Topic: Citrus blossoms  (Read 802 times)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Citrus blossoms
« on: April 30, 2021, 07:54:14 PM »
I have uncovered my citrus for spring and the blossoms are popping!
Meiwa, Owari, Rio Red Grapefruit, Croxton, Kimbrough.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus blossoms
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 07:59:16 PM »
Oops! The pics didn’t come out in order. That’s Owari, Croxton, Meiwa, Kimbrough, Rio Red

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 02:58:02 AM »
very wonderful citrus pictures citradia thank you, a pleasure to see. How are the rio red fruits are tasting in your climate if ripe ? Because often I read that grapefruits and pomelos dont' getso sweet in our colder climats. Whereas last year I got for the first time fruits of my chandler and for the first fruits of this plant I was positive surprised and very content by tart/ sweetnes.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 08:56:36 AM »
I like the flowers of the picture of the 4th one ( Kimbrough), neat looking big flowers.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 02:37:25 PM »
Very pretty.  Can you tell me how to get a Miewa to flower befor august.  Mine don't

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 11:03:37 PM »
My grapefruits are sweet and good now that the trees are more mature but I wait well into spring and even into the next fall to eat them so they get another year of warm weather to finish maturing.

The kumquat usually flowers in late April but I’ve seen it flower in fall as well. I actually had some rather mature fruit this fall/winter but usually not fully ripe until April. I don’t do anything to make them bloom in spring; just try to keep them from freezing to death in winter by building greenhouse around each tree and heat them with space heaters regulated by thermo cubes. The citrus trees bloom a little later here for me than the apples do.

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 01:49:47 AM »
Hello Citradia, thanks for your pomelo experience. My Chandler had 4 fruits for the first time (in pot), bloomed in march and I harvested one after the other between october and march. None was really bad, but in march was better than october. So let s see if i' m patient enough to let one ripe still a few months longer and if the second fruit year still helps 😉.