Author Topic: Shipping plants to Puerto Rico?  (Read 1934 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
Shipping plants to Puerto Rico?
« on: December 22, 2019, 12:15:04 PM »
I am moving to Puerto Rico in a couple weeks.  Can I ship plants without soil to Puerto Rico? 

I have a few small Mexican Mangosteens, Soursop, and Rollinias, a 3-4 ft Dream tree, and a few other things I would like to take to Puerto Rico with me, but I'm not sure the best way to take them.  Maybe ship in a box with the roots bagged in moist sphagnum moss?  Not sure if it's allowed or not.  The only thing I saw was no plants with soil.

Any suggestions?

Ertdude

• US, Puerto Rico
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping plants to Puerto Rico?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 12:33:07 PM »
I've shipped plants seeds and fruits in many different fashions in and out of Puerto Rico. I've only had issues with international packages(going anywhere outside of the US) So you should be fine even shipping in soil.

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 01:55:47 PM »
I've shipped plants seeds and fruits in many different fashions in and out of Puerto Rico. I've only had issues with international packages(going anywhere outside of the US) So you should be fine even shipping in soil.

Well that's good news.  I was thinking I might have to leave my plants behind.  But if I can ship them, I certainly will.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 06:24:08 PM »
I've shipped plants from Hawaii to PR many times. You need to get a phyto sanitary certificate for the plants to enter PR. Definitely soil is not allowed. Shipping in sphagnum moss is allowed. Check with your local state agriculture. They will give you all the specifics.
Oscar

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 10:27:35 AM »
Wow Puerto Rico!
Can’t wait to retire there!

Good luck enjoy la isla del encamto👍

Ed
Zone 10