Author Topic: 2 Vasconcellea Sphaerocarpa plants $25 each! Last ones available!  (Read 910 times)

cacn1987

• Colombian seed/plant seller in the US
    • New York City, NY
    • View Profile
I have my two vasconcellea sphaerocarpa plants, both are 22 inches high. These plants are over 6 months old so they should star flowering in the next 9 months in the right weather conditions. They defoliated due to cold here in NY but as you can see in the pics, they are eager to grow with the new shots coming up. I had them inside my house so they have not been exposed to extreme cold. If you are interested please send me a message with your zip code and we can work something out.

TomekK

• In search of Theobromas
    • Vienna, Virginia Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Vasconcellea Sphaerocarpa plants $25 each! Last ones available!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 04:46:46 PM »
Great offer, unfortunately currently don’t have the room for more plants! But I do have a question. How do you water them in the winter? I have always had a problem with root rot with papayas/related species. Also, do you do anything special with the soil?

I currently have two species of vasconcellea growing, about the size or slightly larger than what you’re offering. Had three, but all of those plants died to root rot. I got all of them about the size you’re offering. I’m scared of loosing them, already one of the 6 left is pretty much without leaves or a growing tip, looks like it’ll die soon. The others are growing slowly.

Before I get any more vasconcelleas I want to be successful with getting a few plants to flowering size. Any tips you may have? Thanks.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 06:58:44 PM »
Do these need male and female trees like some papayas? Or are they self pollinating? Can you describe the taste of the fruit? Thanks

cacn1987

• New York City, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 10:54:19 PM »
No, according to what I was told, with only one plant you get fruits. Obviously you have bigger changes having two plants for cross pollination. The skin covering the seeds is sweet/acid, its really nice to feel the explosion of flavor when the skin pops up in your mouth. Meat is really firm and abundant. Personally, sphaerocarpa it's the best vasconcellea for sweets (that's how it is used back in Colombia) due to is great amount of edible meat.

Do these need male and female trees like some papayas? Or are they self pollinating? Can you describe the taste of the fruit? Thanks

cacn1987

• New York City, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 10:58:33 PM »
Back in Colombia obviously we don't plant vasconcelleas in pots. Here in the US due to space/weather conditions it's different. I would recommend to plant them in the biggest pots you could get instead of changing them over and over. If you let the plant develop good roots, it will reward you with good growth and fruits. Soil has to be loose, organic compost that can retain humidity. You have to be careful watering especially having them in pots. I tried to keep this plants water during the 2 months of winter that have passed, maybe once every two weeks.

Great offer, unfortunately currently don’t have the room for more plants! But I do have a question. How do you water them in the winter? I have always had a problem with root rot with papayas/related species. Also, do you do anything special with the soil?

I currently have two species of vasconcellea growing, about the size or slightly larger than what you’re offering. Had three, but all of those plants died to root rot. I got all of them about the size you’re offering. I’m scared of loosing them, already one of the 6 left is pretty much without leaves or a growing tip, looks like it’ll die soon. The others are growing slowly.

Before I get any more vasconcelleas I want to be successful with getting a few plants to flowering size. Any tips you may have? Thanks.

vstolbi

• East Coast US borderline 7b/8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 10:35:44 AM »
Sorry if this is a bit of an ignorant question - but what zone are these rated to?

cacn1987

• New York City, NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 12:33:45 PM »
V. Sphaerocarpa grows in Colombia from 700 meters to 2000 meters above sea level.