Author Topic: Gardening by the moon-phases  (Read 10676 times)

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
Gardening by the moon-phases
« on: October 16, 2017, 06:24:25 PM »
Sowing , planting , pruning , grafting according to the moon-phase , is anybody following these rules and does it really make a difference ?
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Gardening by the moon-phases
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
I have been told by our elders that whenever there is full moon, water ur plants hard.

Doug

• Turrialba Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 07:08:50 PM »
No doubt about it...belief is very powerful! If you look closely you'll find it is the very basis of your personal reality. Having said that, you either have a "green thumb" or you don't! LOL

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 07:29:25 PM »
the moon phases probably helped early farmers to simply know what time of year it was, and thus be in tune with the changing of the seasons.

I have read that the chemical properties of some plants differ depending on the time of the day harvested. being that the full moon provides dim light at night, it may have some effect.

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 04:11:26 AM »
Sowing , planting , pruning , grafting according to the moon-phase , is anybody following these rules and does it really make a difference ?

these been around printed in hawaii for years. always an interesting reference for fishing and farming:

http://www.pkhcc.org/mooncalendars/

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 05:38:51 AM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 08:55:35 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 08:27:24 AM »

I had always thought that this was a matter of superstition and horticultural "old wives" tales.  My neighbors, originally from Trinidad, planted their yard following the moon phases.  Everything they planted did quite well.......as did everything I planted in my yard without regard to the moon phases. I have no observations regarding sowing, pruning or grafting but at least for planting out potted trees, I haven't seen any reason to plant or not plant based upon the moon phase.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
It certainly is cooler at night, and easier to garden by the light of the full moon than in the dark.

Chupa King

• Puna, Hawai'i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 07:19:08 PM »
I live by it. When I plant banana keiki on a poor day you can clearly see it struggle as compared to one planted on a proper moon.

The Polynesian people knew what they were doing.
Biodiversity is key.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 05:46:18 PM »
Luc, I've been grafting every month by the moon phase which is new moon to full moon each month! I haven't seen a dramatic change in takes on grafting so I still don't know if it enhances grafting or not yet!! I've been following this method for two years now!!  :blank: ;)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 07:55:48 PM »
Exactly.  What would all the big nurseries do if they could only graft one week out of the month!?
Har

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 08:59:20 PM »
I’ve never heard of this until I met my girlfriend. She’s big in to Hawaiian studies and agriculture so she follows the recommended planting phases. As for results, I can’t really say. Most things are alive if anything.
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.
Follow me on Instagram: newjunglehawaii

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 11:15:45 PM »
For us backyard hobbyist there's nothing wrong with a little tradition that actually makes it fun. My mother-in-law made me wait until the full moon to get on a ladder and prune her moringa tree by the light of the moon. Made her very happy and I enjoyed it :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 11:18:14 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 02:51:08 AM »
The technical term for this is lunacy. Often plants do well as they are well catered for in other respects. If it makes people feel good why not if people try to thrust their beliefs on others its nice to have proof and verification in the form of statistically significant trials.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 08:45:18 AM »
The technical term for this is lunacy. Often plants do well as they are well catered for in other respects. If it makes people feel good why not if people try to thrust their beliefs on others its nice to have proof and verification in the form of statistically significant trials.
Mike I think you're onto something there I do enjoy being luney maybe the plants and trees feel the same way :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 10:32:05 AM »
So, that makes me a lunatic  ;) I've been called worst ??? :P 8) I must be when I put 200+ grafts on my cherimoya trees this year ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:34:08 AM by ScottR »

Tang Tonic

• US Virgin Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 02:00:04 PM »
Hey Mike,

I see what you did there!  Do you see the root word in Lunacy!  Luna! So yeah, I guess following the moon phases and believing in their influence on earth does make one a LUNAtic lol. 

Anyways, I am a big believer in the moon having a drastic effect on a lot of things.

I can track my own energy levels and emotions to the moon phase. 

As a surfer, tides are very important and their ranges go to their extremes in full and new moons.  As a general rule of thumb, better swells due to stronger storms show up with the new and full moons. 

I also see more problems with the pipe failures or equipment failures on the water treatment plants I run during new and full moons.

As for planting, I always try to time my seed sprouting with new moons.  Harvesting generally takes place on full moons.  Usually my banana racks ripen on a full moon and the dragonfruit flowers open up around the full moon too. 

Call me a LUNAtic if you will, I think I would take it as an honor.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 03:00:23 PM »
Hey Mike,

I see what you did there!  Do you see the root word in Lunacy!  Luna! So yeah, I guess following the moon phases and believing in their influence on earth does make one a LUNAtic lol. 

Anyways, I am a big believer in the moon having a drastic effect on a lot of things.

I can track my own energy levels and emotions to the moon phase. 

As a surfer, tides are very important and their ranges go to their extremes in full and new moons.  As a general rule of thumb, better swells due to stronger storms show up with the new and full moons. 

I also see more problems with the pipe failures or equipment failures on the water treatment plants I run during new and full moons.

As for planting, I always try to time my seed sprouting with new moons.  Harvesting generally takes place on full moons.  Usually my banana racks ripen on a full moon and the dragonfruit flowers open up around the full moon too. 

Call me a LUNAtic if you will, I think I would take it as an honor.
My 76 year-old Rastafarian Baptist mother-in-law seems to think that the gravitational pull of the moon has an effect on sprouts and seedlings. So if it can affect the ocean like you're saying it's not too far-fetched to believe that it would have an effect on plants

« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 03:03:28 PM by bovine421 »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 05:26:45 PM »
Yes lunacy is behaviour driven by the moon phase. The extra light of a full moon can influence predator and prey behaviour as many predators can hunt by moonlight of the full moon. It obviously influences tides but so does the sun. Insect activity and fishing success can be related to the lunar cycle but are plants so keyed in that propagation success is linked? I think that's a stretch.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 07:08:40 PM »
There are a few 'lunar-tics' in my district and not all wear orange robes or dance around with chicken blood, leeches and feathers on the equinox.

Elopez2027@aol.com

• USA, New York City
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 07:27:26 PM »
I BELIEVE. The moon is connected to the earth gravitationally and magneticly and any other way we haven’t discovered yet! Moon phases effect ALL life on earth. Not a scientist or genius, it’s just like common sense. The most evidential is the tides of the ocean and rivers. Planting by many a old farmers are done by the moon phase. Even the Famous farmer’s almanac recommends it. If not, why would the state of the moon be posted. Why waste the ink? My cousin, a farmer, may he Rest In Peace, told me to plant ‘Pigeon Peas’ in February’s first full moon. That it would fruit right around Thanksgiving. Just in time for the famous pigeon pea rice. It’s true. These ‘old timers’ have much wisdom. Believe!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 07:46:18 PM »
Great stuff and this is a belief system that is ripe for robust discussion. It is true that gravity exists, but that is not the question. How can people sustain belief in flat earth, climate change isn't happening, weird gun control arguments and holocaust denial stuff? By using systems of belief other than evidentiary and scientific based approaches. Sometimes it is better just to believe and not challenge others belief systems.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 08:00:35 PM »
There are a few 'lunar-tics' in my district and not all wear orange robes or dance around with chicken blood, leeches and feathers on the equinox.
Orange when did that happen? I thought this year we were going with guano! Boy Mike you're full of good news :(
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 08:02:06 PM by bovine421 »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2020, 10:51:50 PM »
Sorry on reflection my comments were a little robust and I am an advocate of live and let live.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2020, 12:46:30 AM »
I'm sorry too. On reflection I would never waste such a high-quality fertilizer as guano on such activities. I'm an advocate of fun and let's have fun. LOL It's all good Mike :)  You do know if you get a little luney, I will have to pull some academic quando on you :)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 01:01:25 AM by bovine421 »