Author Topic: Lemon Zest  (Read 3323 times)

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
Lemon Zest
« on: May 22, 2020, 08:24:20 AM »
Best year yet, no disease, high yield and concentrated flavor! It’s been dry here in central Florida and that has made these mangos extremely tasty!! Only problem is I can only eat so many a day since they are sweet, and they are ripening all at once. Still have several dozen left on the tree.
Just bragging since I have had only one decent year in the 5 years I have had this tree. Figure I won’t be this lucky for many years ahead.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Zest
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 08:36:29 AM »
How do you know a lemon zest is ripe? I have several large green ones on my tree here in east orange county.

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 08:40:53 AM »
They start to get a yellow spot on top. But most noticeably they will start to yellow a little then turn an orange tint. Looks totally different than the other mangos on the tree.

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 08:45:06 AM »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 08:58:33 AM »
Man, keep the squirrels away!  Beautiful fruit.
John

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 12:13:15 PM »
The mangos in the photographs are Lemon Meringue/PPK, not Lemon Zest.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 03:18:27 PM »
I love my ppk (lemon Meringue) and still prefer it over my LZ.   

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 04:40:57 PM »
This is lemon zest next to two pickerings. From an early bloom and fell during our morning thunder storm.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 10:40:16 PM »
I see the 'beak' on cythompson's LZ so I think it's the real deal.
I happened to have both LZ and LM on the plate last week for a photoshoot.
Pretty sure my LZ is the real deal too since I bought 10 trees direct from ZHPP.
The LZ was picked a little early but they are first fruit on a 2 year old tree.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:44:07 PM by pineislander »

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 12:13:52 AM »
Agree with Alex, clearly Lemon Meringue. Foliage alone is enough

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 09:56:00 PM »
Lemon Zest usually has two slight bumps near the bottom, often slightly to one side.  This gives a square-ish look.
Har

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 12:36:20 PM »
Lemon Zest usually has two slight bumps near the bottom, often slightly to one side.  This gives a square-ish look.

Here is a close of of a smaller fruit where you can see the two slight bumps.

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 08:16:46 PM »
It was tagged lemon zest, I wouldn’t know the difference since I’ve never had a lemon meringue. Is my coconut cream a coconut cream or a pina colada........?? I will put up a few more pictures to get more opinions. But I did loose my crop 2 out of 2 years due to arathnose or what ever you call it despite being babied will foil at sprays and other stuff.

Cythompson159@yahoo.com

• JoJo Mammey
    • East central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 08:23:24 PM »
This is lemon zest next to two pickerings. From an early bloom and fell during our morning thunder storm.

All of mine have a pointy bump at the beak but only a few have 2 bumps. I do think this a lemon zest. I also added a photo of the tree shape.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2020, 02:56:47 AM »
This is the very first one, ever, ‘Lemon-Zest’ mango fruit of my tree (the sapodilla beside it is a ’Hasya’)

The tree was planted ~4years ago at ~6ft tall. Now it’s ~17ft tall.

Since it produced just 1 fruit, I picked it off the tree a bit early & not at peak ripening — I didn’t want to lose it to anything or anyone.

I tasted the pleasant lemony flavor. Good to great eating quality with only an insignificant amount of fiber near the seed.

The size is a good Medium sized fruit.

This is the only Indian (elongated) type mango that I have. I enjoyed it. So, so far so good.
Hopefully the tree will produce more than 1 fruit next year and I’ll leave them on the tree until peak ripening. At which time, I plan to do a more precise report (God Willing)

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

EnglewoodFlorida

• Englewood, FL 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 12:49:27 PM »
This is the very first one, ever, ‘Lemon-Zest’ mango fruit of my tree (the sapodilla beside it is a ’Hasya’)

Since it produced just 1 fruit, I picked it off the tree a bit early & not at peak ripening — I didn’t want to lose it to anything or anyone.

I tasted the pleasant lemony flavor. Good to great eating quality with only an insignificant amount of fiber near the seed.

This is the only Indian (elongated) type mango that I have. I enjoyed it. So, so far so good.
Hopefully the tree will produce more than 1 fruit next year and I’ll leave them on the tree until peak ripening. At which time, I plan to do a more precise report (God Willing)

That sounds awful, A grafted tree of that age and size should be much more productive.  Unless its a seedling, which wouldn't be a "lemon Zest".

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 04:04:43 PM »
LEOOEL,  most India-type mangos are roundish.  Most Southeast Asian (Indo-chinese) type mangos are elongated.  Both have exceptions.

Cythompson,  The shape of the tree in your picture is typical of Po Pyu Kalay ("Lemon Meringue").  Lemon Zest is usually very straight-up (Upright).
Har

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 11:01:34 PM »

That sounds awful, A grafted tree of that age and size should be much more productive.  Unless its a seedling, which wouldn't be a "lemon Zest".

Not necessarily, both LZ and PPK are capable of producing clones through seed.

EnglewoodFlorida

• Englewood, FL 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 11:42:50 AM »

Not necessarily, both LZ and PPK are capable of producing clones through seed.

ah, they are poly may bad.... can be clones, can be different in little ways like worse production etc also.......    ;)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2022, 03:58:30 AM »
I’ve properly tasted the ‘Lemon_Zest’ mango variety for the very first time, and here’s the report:

I’m happy to report that I do have a real ‘Lemon_Zest’ mango variety tree.
And, ‘Lemon_Zest’ is just absolutely awesome!

I ate a perfectly ripened mango from my tree.
The fruit was ~5 inches long (sorry for no-picture, I just wanted to eat it right away).
The color is Demi-yellowish with a hint of brownish.
The flesh is yellow.

And, the taste. Oh my Goodness, the taste!
I immediately thought that the refreshing great taste was unique, just like, say, a lychee taste is unique.
The tastebud fireworks in each bite was exquisitely delicious and totally unexpected.
It wasn’t a lemony taste as I had expected, it was an exceptionally complex lemon_zest taste,
and thus it’s name is perfect.

The flesh had no fiber, except negligible amount on a somewhat-thin seed.

I give it a rating of above and beyond eXcellent!

The tree is now ~25 feet tall. It’s a bit compact. It grows kind of slow (it’s not in a prime location; it’s near a tall Mamey fruit tree).
The fruit production has been robust and the best ever!

My main reason for getting this variety was, because many on this Forum were raving about it.
And, so, I want to thank Murahilin & everyone, it is an excellent recommendation which I wholeheartedly endorse.

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2022, 10:04:50 AM »
I started growing Orange Sherbet.  I hope to graft part of the tree to Lemon Zest eventually--just in case it's true that LZ is THAT MUCH better than OS!  My friend has a big PPK tree, and I don't know how it gets better than PPK, but I hope to find out.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 12:53:35 PM by johnb51 »
John