Author Topic: LZ vs OS  (Read 18489 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
LZ vs OS
« on: July 25, 2012, 10:39:09 PM »
Well, here we go boys and girls.  The winner is...LZ.  I have also determined by the coloration of the LZ and OS that the LZ was the original OS I tried years back.  When perfectly ripe (yes Jeff, not eaten underripe) the LZ is pure, sweet orange sherbet taste.  The OS has a bit more of a tangy orange flavor and overall not as good as the LZ.  Now I still have a couple more OSs to try to make sure but just the color pattern of the ripe LZ is the giveaway.

Now, with that being said, I truly can't wait to see who actually got the LZ tree vs who got the OS tree (I am positive there was a mixup at some point early on).  It will be very easy to determine by the odd green blotchiness that the LZ has to its yellow to golden yellow color.  The OS does not have that blotchiness.
- Rob

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: LZ vs OS
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:00:18 PM »
Cool. Maybe LZ being a better overall mango with an orange sherbet taste is the reason why Zill's isn't releasing OS trees?
Alexi

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 11:14:20 PM »
Lemon Zest huh? I faintly recall this mango being discussed on here...sort of rings a bell.
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 03:19:34 AM »
Well, here we go boys and girls.  The winner is...LZ.  I have also determined by the coloration of the LZ and OS that the LZ was the original OS I tried years back.
How about a picture of the two fruits side by side?
Richard

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 09:24:32 AM »
So if someone were to buy a newly tagged LZ now, would it truly be a LZ? Have all of the OS been sold/re-tagged, or are some still mislabeled as LZ?
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 09:28:59 AM »
The new trees should all be LZ.  The confusion SHOULD have been limited to the earlier sold trees.  Don't get me wrong, the OS is very good but the LZ is better.

I will post pictures of both tonight.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 11:54:07 AM »
Yah, that was the opinion of many. Even members of the Zill family prefer LZ. And, I was told that LZ won the taste test a couple of years back.

The OS is a 'commercial' quality mango; I was told that it was selected for its suitability to be marketed on a commercial scale. For one, it has a better shape for packing/shipping. Secondly, it is slightly more productive. Most of us realize the difference between the fruit and veggies we find in the supermarket vs what we can grow in our backyards. The OS is a commercial fruit where the LZ is a homeowner fruit.

I know one individual who is topworking his OS tree to LZ, if that gives you any indication as to the quality difference :-).

The LZ is a definite winner in my book. I've had LZ fruits from both Walter's tree in Delray and a tree here in Broward. The tree in Broward produced more consistently excellent tasting fruits, where Walter's tree seemed to produce some blander fruits and some excellent fruits. So, those of you who've tried 1 or 2 LZ fruits from Walter's tree should really wait before finalizing your opinions. Walter's wife rates it as her #1 favorite mango of the umpteen cultivars she's gobbled own in the past couple of decades.
Jeff  :-)

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 02:17:27 PM »
I bought a lemon zest from Jeff in Feb. Would the OS and LZ have been confused then or was it earlier than that? Where they mixed up at Zills or the retail nurseries after that? Thanks

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 02:26:15 PM »
You can actually tell the difference from the leaves. LZ has a characteristic wavy shape to it, where the OS is flat. I don't recall seeing a single OS-looking tree coming through us.

I bought a lemon zest from Jeff in Feb. Would the OS and LZ have been confused then or was it earlier than that? Where they mixed up at Zills or the retail nurseries after that? Thanks

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 02:29:49 PM »
Gary isn't releasing the OS trees because he's working on some sort of exclusive commercial contract/patent. I don't doubt that it will get released somewhere down the road. For now though -- I have 2 lemon zest trees planted out :-).

Cool. Maybe LZ being a better overall mango with an orange sherbet taste is the reason why Zill's isn't releasing OS trees?

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 02:44:23 PM »
Great thanks. The leaves are wavy so it must be the LZ.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 03:31:20 PM »
Sun-Sentinel. Tamarac, Florida.
Police discovered a Tamarac resident late last night wandering through his neighbors' yards, planting mango trees. Identifying himself only as Cookie Monster, the wild-eyed man told police "but these are Lemon Zest mango trees--some day these people will thank me!  HA HA HA HA HA!!!"
One neighbor, claiming to have tasted a Lemon Zest, has declined to press charges.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 03:42:38 PM »
Police discovered a Tamarac resident late last night wandering through his neighbors' yards, planting mango trees. Identifying himself only as Cookie Monster, the wild-eyed man told police "but these are Lemon Zest mango trees--some day these people will thank me!  HA HA HA HA HA!!!"
One neighbor, claiming to have tasted a Lemon Zest, has declined to press charges.

hahahahaha! I wouldn't mine somebody wandering in my yard and planting mango trees.  ;D  ;)
Alexi

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 03:58:58 PM »
You can actually tell the difference from the leaves. LZ has a characteristic wavy shape to it, where the OS is flat. I don't recall seeing a single OS-looking tree coming through us.

What if I told you that my LZ tree has both flat AND wavy leaves??
- Rob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »
According to the folks at Zill's the Lemon Zest (aka 27-1) has never been mislabeled as the Orange Sherbet (aka G-32).  The pot mislabeling (tag reads Lemon Zest (27-1) pot reads OS) was done during earlier production and was never a matter of mix up, the Orange Sherbet had not been in production when the OS pot writing was done. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:18:06 PM by pj1881 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 04:36:01 PM »
According to the folks at Zill's the Lemon Zest (aka 27-1) has never been mislabeled as the Orange Sherbet (aka G-32).  The pot mislabeling (tag reads Lemon Zest (27-1) pot reads OS) was done during earlier production and was never a matter of mix up, the Orange Sherbet had not been in production when the OS pot writing was done.
You can't always believe what everybody tells you...especially when they are trying to keep a story such as this straight.  Maybe they are right but maybe they are wrong...
- Rob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 04:41:04 PM »
You can't always believe what everybody tells you...especially when they are trying to keep a story such as this straight.  Maybe they are right but maybe they are wrong...

You cant always believe that.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »
Don't know about you......but I believe!
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 05:21:54 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA! I guess it's honestly 3 LZ trees if you count the one that I planted in my neighbors yard :-).

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 05:23:14 PM »
You are correct on the LZ. But the OS has no wavy leaves.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 07:15:06 PM »

Guess I forgot the  ;) and  ;D emoticons when I wrote that...wanted to see how you were going to react.  Never thought you would think I was serious.  :-[
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 07:32:06 PM »
Then you have a combination OS and LZ tree :-).

Guess I forgot the  ;) and  ;D emoticons when I wrote that...wanted to see how you were going to react.  Never thought you would think I was serious.  :-[

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 07:49:27 PM »
Lemon Zest huh? I faintly recall this mango being discussed on here...sort of rings a bell.

This is the first I've heard of it. I can't wait to see a few more posts about it!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »

This is the first I've heard of it. I can't wait to see a few more posts about it!
Are we cranky from the Bar or are you recovered?  ;) ;D :o 8)
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 08:05:27 PM »
Are we cranky from the Bar or are you recovered?  ;) ;D :o 8)

Just my normal cranky self. The bar was not fun and I don't ever want to have to do it again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk