Author Topic: Is this the pride of Valencia?  (Read 5842 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Is this the pride of Valencia?
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:05:18 PM »
I bought this mango a few days ago at Excalibur in Lake Worth, FL.   It wasn't labeled, and the staff were too busy for me to ask.   Does it look like Valencia Pride?
It was very tasty, sweet, touch of tart, no fiber.    The VP mangos I tasted a few years ago didn't seem to have as much flavor as this did.  Probably just a reminder to give fruit more than one tasting.

jcbk101

• TechTacular
  • More mango please!
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL 33411, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
Re: Is this the pride of Valencia?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:57:09 PM »
  Hmm, sure looks like one of my favorite tall tree mangoes.  >:( Man I wish I had room for that tree.
If you ain't first you're last! "Ricky Bobby"

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 11:45:55 PM »
I bought this mango a few days ago at Excalibur in Lake Worth, FL.   It wasn't labeled, and the staff were too busy for me to ask.   Does it look like Valencia Pride?
It was very tasty, sweet, touch of tart, no fiber.    The VP mangos I tasted a few years ago didn't seem to have as much flavor as this did.  Probably just a reminder to give fruit more than one tasting.

The fruit is/was only 6 inches long?  Were all of them (this variety) the same size?
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 12:12:06 AM »
  Hmm, sure looks like one of my favorite tall tree mangoes.  >:( Man I wish I had room for that tree.

Ask Excalibur to put a VP on a dwarf rootstock for you.
Oscar

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 09:00:11 AM »
No, no, as you can see it was 92 inches long  ;)

This was the only fruit of this variety they had when I stopped in.  It sat alone in an unlabeled box. They mostly had Kents or Keitts (my memory ain't what it used to be, and it was never much.)

[/quote]
The fruit is/was only 6 inches long?  Were all of them (this variety) the same size?
[/quote]

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 09:02:16 AM »

I'd love to have a huge mango shade tree in the back yard. Trouble is, I'd have to buy another back yard first.  :'(

jcbk101

• TechTacular
  • More mango please!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »

Hmm, i was told it wouldn't matter because the tree would still get taller than 20+ feet. 15-20 is more realistice for me this is why i got the Nam Doc Mai 4 and the Pickering trees planted.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 03:01:03 PM »
It looks like Valencia Pride.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »
Dwarfing rootstocks seem to be cultivar specific -- a rootstock that dwarfs a Carrie may not dwarf a nam doc mai, and vice versa. There may not be a dwarfing rootstock for VP yet.

Hmm, i was told it wouldn't matter because the tree would still get taller than 20+ feet. 15-20 is more realistice for me this is why i got the Nam Doc Mai 4 and the Pickering trees planted.
Jeff  :-)

jcbk101

• TechTacular
  • More mango please!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »
Dwarfing rootstocks seem to be cultivar specific -- a rootstock that dwarfs a Carrie may not dwarf a nam doc mai, and vice versa. There may not be a dwarfing rootstock for VP yet.

I wish someone would hurry up and find one. I NEED a dwarfed VP tree. I have a great spot for it pick out in my front yard where the kids can throw rocks at it for a sugary treat.  8)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 10:44:23 PM »

I wish someone would hurry up and find one. I NEED a dwarfed VP tree. I have a great spot for it pick out in my front yard where the kids can throw rocks at it for a sugary treat.  8)
I am not sure it will ever come to fruition.  Also, even if attempted on a dwarf stock, MY guess is you might wind up with a 20+ foot tree as opposed to a 40-50 foot tree.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 11:45:32 PM »
20 foot is considered dwarf for mango trees. As was pointed out before, Julie will get 20 feet when mature if unpruned.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 12:42:43 AM »
20 foot is considered dwarf for mango trees. As was pointed out before, Julie will get 20 feet when mature if unpruned.
In Florida, a 20 foot Julie would be considered a large specimen.

My pint was that in my opinion a VP on dwarf stock would still get quite large, and at an early age.

I have seen a 15 year old Duncan that was not 20 feet tall but I would not call it a dwarf.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 03:10:07 AM »
In Florida, a 20 foot Julie would be considered a large specimen.

My pint was that in my opinion a VP on dwarf stock would still get quite large, and at an early age.

I have seen a 15 year old Duncan that was not 20 feet tall but I would not call it a dwarf.

OK, but what do you base that opinion on? Has dwarfing rootstock ever been tried on VP?
BTW, have a Julie here that is only 10 years old and is already over 10 feet tall.
Oscar

jcbk101

• TechTacular
  • More mango please!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 09:57:15 AM »

Yeah, my favorite ( so far ) tree which I have NO idea what the fruit is has stayed the same height for 11 years. About 12 - 15 feet. Great mango and very sweet even when half ripen. So I expect to maintain a tree that can grow to around 20 manageable feet. :) That is to be expected. But man, I picked from a customers Valencia Pride and I remember tiring the back of my neck just trying to look at the mangoes at the top of the tree.  :( But I like this mango and the Keitt as big mangoes. The Keitt is so everywhere with it's growth pattern...

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 10:07:52 AM »

I wish someone would hurry up and find one. I NEED a dwarfed VP tree. I have a great spot for it pick out in my front yard where the kids can throw rocks at it for a sugary treat8)

Bless you for always thinking of the children.

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 10:12:51 AM »

Yeah, my favorite ( so far ) tree which I have NO idea what the fruit is has stayed the same height for 11 years. About 12 - 15 feet. Great mango and very sweet even when half ripen.

You owe it to the world to find out what variety this tree is, so you can recommend it to others.   Or graft it and sell it if it's a seedling; you could call it TechTacular.

jcbk101

• TechTacular
  • More mango please!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 01:14:44 PM »

Yeah, my favorite ( so far ) tree which I have NO idea what the fruit is has stayed the same height for 11 years. About 12 - 15 feet. Great mango and very sweet even when half ripen.

You owe it to the world to find out what variety this tree is, so you can recommend it to others.   Or graft it and sell it if it's a seedling; you could call it TechTacular.
I'm sure its a common tree. It looks like a haden but the tree is not that big at all. I will go to my old residence and take a picture of it. I used to live around the old Northwood area and I was told ( not sure if true ) that the area was an old mango plantation. I tend to believe this because the area is littered with mango trees.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk