Author Topic: MangoFang's Half Ass Summer Update  (Read 6217 times)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
MangoFang's Half Ass Summer Update
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:44:39 PM »
Well, it's going to be half ass because I wrote the WHOLE post yesterday only to have it bog down with an
image upload and that punched me off the website losing all I had written.......grrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Anyway, my Palm Springs desert haul this year is as follows:

Manila - around 106 (some still on tree but I counted those)
Manila #2 - about 9
Rosigold - 5 I believe
Alphonso - 6
Maha Chinok - 2
Pickering - 2
Valencia Pride - 2 earlier

Now, as far as taste this is how I rated the ones I've eaten so far:

Rosie
Alphonso
Manila
Pickering
Maha Chinok
Valencia Pride
Manila #2

I couldn't believe how less than average the pickering and maha chinok (picture following - it fell off the tree, so that is the
bruise you see) tasted. A slightly "off"flavor, not that sweet, great on the lack of fiber but that was about it.  But...I guess the rule is "taste twice" before you know for sure, so we'll try them again next year.  The Valencia Prides from last month that fell off - just not good at all....Sorry, I just wasn't motivated to take pictures - the heat this summer
has been pretty intense and whether that had an effect on the taste of the fruit as well, I don't know.

The last 2 pictures are of my Miracle Mango (Chou Anon - Harry's spelling!) flowering once again in the summer....very strange, we'll see if it holds any fruit but I have my doubts.  The second Manila tree has much smaller fruit that my big one, and lots more fiber - not too tasty - definitely a sort of crap shoot it appears in these Manila seedlings sold by Lowes/Home Depot....

Another thing - every single type of mango matured within a couple weeks of each other - like the early/late thing didn't even apply.
My Keitt from last year, yes, that did ripen late into almost December, so at least I'm going to have one that will stretch out my season.

Again, sorry for the minimal effort - heart really not in it - might be partly because my dog of 18 years died about a month ago...
 :'( - yeah, it was sad, but I'm feeling much better now....

thanks, gary

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 05:04:15 PM by MangoFang »

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: MangoFang's Half Ass Summer Update
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 09:53:59 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear of your dog's passing...
Almost as sorry about Pickering, especially Maha Chanok not living up to expectations ... But it'll only get better, I hope ... Too good a mango not to.
Tim

samuelforest

• Montreal (5b) COLD!
  • Mangoes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:09:33 PM »
Nice to see a little update Fang! It doen't look like a good season...it is very hot and dry this summer in all US and we do fell it here In Canada also. Our rivers and lakes are really low in comparaison of last year. I feel very sorry for your dog :( One of my uncle dog also died a few months ago. It was a 13 years old St-Bernard mixed with a newfoundland dog, I don't if you know this specie, but it can save you when you are going to drought. He told me that when his girl was swimming the dog would always think she was in danger and jump in the water to save her. The Saint-Bernard is also a dog which can be train to save people stuck in a avalanches. He is the dog who carries a whiskey barrel to his neck.

Sam
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:19:19 PM by samuelforest »

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 11:28:16 PM »
So sorry to hear about your dog passing Garry :( :( .
Hope you get a better mango season next year, particularily with the Pickering and Maha.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 08:00:54 AM »
Thanks for the update Mangofang..very nice Maha!

I'm so sorry  :'( about losing your dog (your best friend)...my deepest sympathies.

Nancy

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 08:45:33 AM »
Thanks for the update and reviews!  So sorry to hear your dog passed.  Dave

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
So sorry to hear about the passing of your dog, Gary.  When you lose a great friend of many years it also calls to mind all the great people and good times shared during those years.   It's hard as hell, but, as you'll see, the pain eases and the memories remain.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 12:09:31 PM »
Mangoperro, I'm very sorry for your dog, I know that feeling. Keep in mind he had a very long and happy life with you. Now he's resting in the dogs' heaven ;)

Thanks for the updated. I'm sure next year the mangos will get much better :)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »
Its always tough losing a dog, sorry about your loss. Nice update, looking forward to more.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 05:24:23 PM »
Gary, sorry to hear about your dog's passing. I know how it feels as I have been thru same breed generations for over 30 years.

On another note, glad that Alphonso is near the top on taste, while taste is subjective and could be area centric as well.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 07:45:51 PM »
Gary,
my condolences to you and Joe. The Mahas and Pickerings I had from Florida were superb. Give it a few years before you give up on them. 

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 10:16:05 PM »
Condolences from a fellow dog lover and mango enthusiast.

Thanks for the mango posts - I love reading them since I have many similar varieties that have not yet fruited.

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 07:13:13 AM »
Hey, Gary nice report.
I'm sorry for your dog. But still 18 years is an impressive age for a dog. You have been lucky having the possibility to keep him around for so long. When i was a child my 14 years old dog died, and we tought that it was an old age for a dog. Everyone was so sad about it that we haven't even tought about taking another dog since then.

Regarding Maha and Pickering, i can tell you that sometimes first harvest are disappointing. Last year i had the first fruit from a peach i planted some years ago, and when i tasted them i was very disappointed: they were plain nasty, with a very strong off flavour. This year they aren't mature yet, but i tasted them and even if unripe they are WAY, WAY better. So, give them a little credit, maybe they will be a bit better over the years.

It's interesting that you didn't have had any early/late differentiation; may be related to the lack of flavour, maybe they didn't mature in a correct way. This, or maybe your superheat makes this differentiation trivial. If you think in term of "degree-day" instead of day (or early late) you see that very hot days close the gaps between the different cultivars in less days than in a colder environment.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 02:43:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing Gary.
Adiel

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 02:44:41 PM »
Gary - your dog has traversed Rainbow Bridge...

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
- Rob

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 02:55:01 PM »
Well, it's going to be half ass because I wrote the WHOLE post yesterday only to have it bog down with an
image upload and that punched me off the website losing all I had written.......grrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

Anyway, my Palm Springs desert haul this year is as follows:

Manila - around 106 (some still on tree but I counted those)
Manila #2 - about 9
Rosigold - 5 I believe
Alphonso - 6
Maha Chinok - 2
Pickering - 2
Valencia Pride - 2 earlier

Now, as far as taste this is how I rated the ones I've eaten so far:

Rosie
Alphonso
Manila
Pickering
Maha Chinok
Valencia Pride
Manila #2

I couldn't believe how less than average the pickering and maha chinok (picture following - it fell off the tree, so that is the
bruise you see) tasted. A slightly "off"flavor, not that sweet, great on the lack of fiber but that was about it.  But...I guess the rule is "taste twice" before you know for sure, so we'll try them again next year.  The Valencia Prides from last month that fell off - just not good at all....Sorry, I just wasn't motivated to take pictures - the heat this summer
has been pretty intense and whether that had an effect on the taste of the fruit as well, I don't know.

The last 2 pictures are of my Miracle Mango (Chou Anon - Harry's spelling!) flowering once again in the summer....very strange, we'll see if it holds any fruit but I have my doubts.  The second Manila tree has much smaller fruit that my big one, and lots more fiber - not too tasty - definitely a sort of crap shoot it appears in these Manila seedlings sold by Lowes/Home Depot....

Another thing - every single type of mango matured within a couple weeks of each other - like the early/late thing didn't even apply.
My Keitt from last year, yes, that did ripen late into almost December, so at least I'm going to have one that will stretch out my season.

Again, sorry for the minimal effort - heart really not in it - might be partly because my dog of 18 years died about a month ago...
 :'( - yeah, it was sad, but I'm feeling much better now....

thanks, gary

As I have said, based on Californians postings, I think the same mangoes grown in Cali vs grown in SFla come off as different, sometimes in size/shape/coloration/taste (one, some or all).
- Rob

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »
Stealing a quote from some of Ray Bayer's posts:

If dogs don't go to heaven then I want to go where they go.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »
Fang, sorry to hear the news on your dog.  That is always a rough time.

Strange that all your mangos ripened at once.  Did this happen last year also or was this the first time? 

By looking at your list all of the varieties that only produced a couple fruit you rated as poor in taste.  I'm assuming this is because they are small immature trees.  As has been said here many times small trees struggle to produce the few fruit they do.  That fruit usually isn't as good as that grown on a mature tree.  My only experience with this was this year.  I have a 2,5 foot tall Bonanza Peach tree that produced about 15 fruits this year for the first time.  None of these peaches were worth eating and most I threw out after one bite.  Next year I will only let the tree produce a small number of fruit hoping for more quality instead of quantity.  So hopefully next year you will enjoy a more flavorful bounty.

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk