Author Topic: Planting Ataulfo Mango Seeds  (Read 881 times)

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
Planting Ataulfo Mango Seeds
« on: June 04, 2020, 07:27:49 PM »
I found a box of 15 Ataulfo Mangoes at Sam's Club for less than $7, and after enjoying them immensely (greatest joy/$ ratio of any mango purchase I've ever made), I decided to plant the seeds.

It's amazing the difference in sizes of the seeds inside similarly-sized mangoes and husks...

Almost all of them had this fragile translucent wrap around them, but I took it off.  Hopefully that's not important.

I'm assuming nothing will grow from the two smallest, but I'm going to try anyway.  I'll post updates here.

--Jake

Viraldonutz

• View Profile
Re: Planting Ataulfo Mango Seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 07:55:03 PM »
I wrapped them up in moist hand towels, and placed them in a gallon-sized ziploc bag.  Then I placed a heating mat on the counter, placed the bag on top, and covered it all with a cardboard box.  Planning to give it a couple hours of low heat every day, and monitoring growth every three days by opening them all up and inspecting them manually.
--Jake

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 08:04:59 PM »
You can put them in pots in potting soil outside and they will grow better than in bags.  They tend to get moldy and rot in bags and paper towels. 

I'm starting my mango seeds in pots outside right now, its warm enough to germinate them.
Brad Spaugh

Viraldonutz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 08:19:11 PM »
I'm worried about them getting too wet/not moist enough in pots.  How can I control this?

Also, I was kinda hoping to try to observe the growth...

What size pots do you use?  How long does it take to get results?
--Jake

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 11:18:22 PM »
I use EB stone cactus mix.  They sell it at walter andesens in poway.  I put them in a 1-3 gallon size pot to start.  Doesnt really matter that much, you can just wet it a little everyday if its drying out.  Lay the seeds flat and cover with 1 inch of dirt.  They will sprout after a couple weeks.  You should get 100% sprouts if the seeds are viable.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:31:24 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 08:33:49 AM »
I have a 11 year old ataulfo mango tree that I started from a store-bought seed. Maybe you'll have more luck in your region, but mine has never flowered. Here's a thread about it: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32930

and here's where I'm at with it as of this season: http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=39375

I have hopes once the grafts take and start flowering it'll prompt what remains of the original tree to flower. The frustration of watching every season come and go without so much as a bud can really build after a few years....