Author Topic: Bottom tier mangos. Don't plant these.  (Read 9036 times)

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Bottom tier mangos. Don't plant these.
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2021, 09:53:26 PM »
My Lemon Zest mango tree on Ataulfo root-stock so far is doing OK. My tree was grafted in late 2017 and so far no spraying in 2021 whatsoever with any applications and I have a few fruit developing. I would not describe the LZ as a bottom Tier mango at least at my location. Need more time to determine long-term production.

I think the Lemon Zest mango tree needs more time to mature, but PM is not a major issue at my location. I suspect Root Stock may be a factor in Powder Mildew susceptibility in certain mango trees in SoCal.

Note: We are about 90 days behind Florida in terms of fruit development so I suspect this is how their fruit looked in mid-march.   

Johnny

Calif Lemon Zest Mango Tree

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2021, 11:23:52 PM »
Miss Hawaiian Tropic International was held until 2010 says wikipedia. A friend of mine used to go to these HT beauty competitions circa year 2000. iirc He knew one of the organizers. Or said he did. One of their main reasons for this competition was for the  HT brass to get into the younger women's, the spokes models, pants. Their 2nd and 3rd tier buddies got the runoff. The official reason for the competition was to pick new models each year to appear in the HT advertisements. But not the real reason.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 11:25:46 PM by zands »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2021, 01:30:12 AM »
Ah sorry Mike I should have been more clear. My big list was just that of the typically grown backyard varieties in Brisbane, not ones which I have growing specifically. Thankfully I never put a Glenn, Keitt, or Kent in the ground before trying them. I had a Palmer last season which wasn't bad but generally I'm not a fan.

R2E2 I kind of put in the Calypso category where they aren't my go to mango but they're nice mild change if your lips are burning from the more flavorful varieties. Those two are more like melons than mangos to me. Not bad just different.

Honey gold is great but I haven't put one in the ground as I've read it is disease prone. The ones I have are Alphonso, Maha, Kwan, and lemon zest.  Maha is one of the best mangos I've tried so I got a tree a few days after I first tasted one. Haven't tried a Kwan so I'm happy to hear your good reports on it!  I've tried a fantastic Fonz in the UK but never in Australia so we'll see how we go. I drank the marketing Kool aid on lemon zest.

By hydrocarbon taint are you referring to the turpentine qualities of some varieties?  Or is this a different issue? Some people seem to like a bit of the old chemical flavour. I thought I wasn't one of them but I'm a feijoa nut and I was told by someone they taste like toilet cleaner so perhaps I'm not the best judge of this quality in mangos

You guys should try the Indian Imam Pasand -- unforgettable flavor, big fruit, reliable bearer and no disease in my yard. Look is not its strong point.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2021, 01:41:04 AM »
Maha, tastes like a carrot, but many people like them. Problem free tree, so I kept it.

Haha, I would use that term for Lancetilla. Does it smells like carrot too? For me, Maha has the nicest aroma, but its taste can change dramatically with the weather.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2021, 11:06:51 PM »
Diamond, TA, Hatcher...and have to add Carrie and its cohorts  (Angie, Ugly Betty).

As far as "carroty" as some say is found in Mallika, I would say that learning when to pick and ripen will make all the difference in the world.

Alright Rob, so where are we scheduling our duel to occur?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2021, 11:19:08 PM »
Miss Hawaiian Tropic International was held until 2010 says wikipedia. A friend of mine used to go to these HT beauty competitions circa year 2000. iirc He knew one of the organizers. Or said he did. One of their main reasons for this competition was for the  HT brass to get into the younger women's, the spokes models, pants. Their 2nd and 3rd tier buddies got the runoff. The official reason for the competition was to pick new models each year to appear in the HT advertisements. But not the real reason.
You don't have a lot of feminist friends, do you?  This made me cringe.
John

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2021, 07:37:59 AM »
I wonder if the taste is dependent on location. 

It has to be. I know Mike was baiting a bit here but seriously some of the cultivars that seem fine elsewhere taste very different (I assume) here. I am no KP fanboy but there must be something to it, whether it is climate or soil or whatever. I know the older USA cultivars are nothing like the new superstars, but they are still grown there and are preferred there to things like KP. I am really keen to try some of the newer superstars and expect them to be a cut above.

My 4 year old who has no idea about cultivars was NOT a fan of keitt, palmer, Kent or brooks. I eat them but wouldn't buy them again. KP, maha and honey gold are good and she loves them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 07:43:29 AM by Ulfr »

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2021, 04:01:23 PM »
yeah, wonder why the Australian KP has not been discussed much here in the States.

BrizzyFizzy

• Australia, QLD, Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2021, 04:54:24 PM »

It has to be. I know Mike was baiting a bit here but seriously some of the cultivars that seem fine elsewhere taste very different (I assume) here. I am no KP fanboy but there must be something to it, whether it is climate or soil or whatever. I know the older USA cultivars are nothing like the new superstars, but they are still grown there and are preferred there to things like KP. I am really keen to try some of the newer superstars and expect them to be a cut above.

My 4 year old who has no idea about cultivars was NOT a fan of keitt, palmer, Kent or brooks. I eat them but wouldn't buy them again. KP, maha and honey gold are good and she loves them.

Are you growing or know anyone growing honey gold around Brisbane? Are the reports of heavy disease suceptibility in this area accurate?

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2021, 07:33:37 PM »

You all seem to dislike Kent in Australia! I don’t mind it at all (Mexican/Latin American grown) especially when the flesh turns orange and is not very soft (just gives a bit), and if it’s refrigerated is even better, sweet and carroty but also a bit of acid. The carrot flavor is carotenoids (vit a/beta carotene), clearly evidenced in the orange flesh..

I’m surprised nobody mentioned Tommy Atkins as the worst tasting mango ever propagated. It would score -1 from 1-10 in my opinion. Keitt isn’t too far behind in blandness. I don’t necessarily hate keitt but it’s just too bland and would MUCH prefer a Kent over it.

Haden has classic flavor but a bit stringy and just way too sweet especially when very ripe. If I eat one it has to still be pretty firm. I would rate a hair above keitt.

I have only tasted older varieties, except for ataulfo which is at least kind of newer, and I really enjoy this one especially because it tastes different over different ripening stages but still good during each stage.. Hard is sour, then sweet starts to balance out the sour with some resin,  and very ripe it will be only sweet with slight resin and carrot taste (when the flesh turns darker yellow). I know there are better varieties that would make ataulfo look mediocre, lol. I feel like the colored flesh mangos are generally tastiest..

BrizzyFizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2021, 08:39:34 PM »

You all seem to dislike Kent in Australia! I don’t mind it at all (Mexican/Latin American grown) especially when the flesh turns orange and is not very soft (just gives a bit), and if it’s refrigerated is even better, sweet and carroty but also a bit of acid. The carrot flavor is carotenoids (vit a/beta carotene), clearly evidenced in the orange flesh..

I’m surprised nobody mentioned Tommy Atkins as the worst tasting mango ever propagated. It would score -1 from 1-10 in my opinion. Keitt isn’t too far behind in blandness. I don’t necessarily hate keitt but it’s just too bland and would MUCH prefer a Kent over it.

Haden has classic flavor but a bit stringy and just way too sweet especially when very ripe. If I eat one it has to still be pretty firm. I would rate a hair above keitt.

I have only tasted older varieties, except for ataulfo which is at least kind of newer, and I really enjoy this one especially because it tastes different over different ripening stages but still good during each stage.. Hard is sour, then sweet starts to balance out the sour with some resin,  and very ripe it will be only sweet with slight resin and carrot taste (when the flesh turns darker yellow). I know there are better varieties that would make ataulfo look mediocre, lol. I feel like the colored flesh mangos are generally tastiest..

I'll agree on that.  I WAS NOT a fan of Tommy Atkins when I tried it.  I'd love to hear if anyone has tried an Alphonso grown in Brisbane given the less than glowing Floridian reports.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2021, 05:01:24 AM »
Are you growing or know anyone growing honey gold around Brisbane? Are the reports of heavy disease suceptibility in this area accurate?

Yep, I top worked a kp summer before last. I’ll let it fruit properly for the first time this year but did let fruit develop last year before removing and didn’t notice anything. I hear Alphonso isn’t great here either but never had one.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 05:04:49 AM by Ulfr »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2021, 09:17:21 AM »
Alphonso grown at kamerunga in Cairns was an abomination.

If we are engaging in mango trash talk lest we forget pearl. It may not quite sink to the depths that kent and brooks occupy but it is still intensely mediocre at it finest.

BrizzyFizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2021, 08:05:38 PM »

If we are engaging in mango trash talk lest we forget pearl. It may not quite sink to the depths that kent and brooks occupy but it is still intensely mediocre at it finest.

Abomination in what way? Keroseney? Watery?

Re: pearl I think I remember having one last year. Like palmer for me it was OK but not awful.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2021, 08:48:29 PM »

Gah, I had a sample of a Palmer the other day that made me thankful the proprietor of the joint wasn't standing in front of me as I would've accidentally projectile regurgitated it back into their face. It had to leave my mouth immediately. :o

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2021, 09:03:09 AM »
chok anan, the miracle mango. It would take a miracle to get me to plant it.
Confirmation one more time that taste is relative.  I have a choc anon and am I glad I have one.  I was thinking of grafting a second but the first tree makes so much fruit (and flowers multiple times for an extended season) that perhaps just the one and a couple of bonus branches on another tree will do.
Enough for me and for friends who ask for some because they have tried and love it.

I have several of the top tiers but this tree stays, perhaps one day it might get a sister.

I second that. Variety is the spice of life and when I tire of certain flavors in mango I go to Choc anon and get something different.

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2021, 10:30:00 AM »
Take my Cogshall, please!  My first tree, planted about 10 years ago.  Every fruit is a failed experiment.  Uneven ripening, poster child for jelly seed.  Next month she is meeting the executioner.  Only question:  what to replace it with?  I'm thinking Angie.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »
And an unpopular opinion - Coconut Cream - IF you have limited space. Top 10 taste, mid-tier looks, but cellar dweller production. Also floppy growth habit..

I've heard you may have to wait a while for production to pick up. Well, I am on year 8 and I have harvested a total of a dozen or so fruit in the last three years. Your mileage may vary though...

Saw a pic on FB of a FL grower who has the most beautiful CC tree. Well formed and nice canopy, doesn't look lanky, but good and wide and not too tall (12 - 15 feet?). Pm'd them, was told their secret was regular pruning.

Tree was covered in clean fruit. Will see if I can repost the pic. Gave me hope, not giving up on CC
[/quote]

Do you think it might be possible that coconut cream would do a little better production-wise in 9B. Where we have an abundance of nights in a row below 60°
Thanks in advance for anyone's reply :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

rainking430

• USA, Florida, Jupiter Farms
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2021, 11:55:57 AM »
Take my Cogshall, please!  My first tree, planted about 10 years ago.  Every fruit is a failed experiment.  Uneven ripening, poster child for jelly seed.  Next month she is meeting the executioner.  Only question:  what to replace it with?  I'm thinking Angie.

I've been told you can't go wrong with sweet tart. I planted one just now so I guess I'll see. If it works out I'm gonna use it to top work my other trees.

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2021, 12:17:12 PM »

I've been told you can't go wrong with sweet tart. I planted one just now so I guess I'll see. If it works out I'm gonna use it to top work my other trees.
One of the factors is space and tree size.  The Cogshall is about 25 feet tall and too big for where it is planted.  So the replacement needs to be manageable to about half that size.  I already have a Pickering, (damn good!).

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2021, 12:39:15 PM »

Keep it for sure but mine is sometimes prone to uneven ripening. Then I bring them inside when they reach one third yellow. They will get more yellow in a day or two but eat before they get mushy.

Take a slightly soft/one that has some give to it/ half yellow/half green sweet tart off the tree and eat immediately. The entire fruit will be delicious. With green part slightly more acidic.

rainking430

• USA, Florida, Jupiter Farms
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2021, 02:23:32 PM »

Keep it for sure but mine is sometimes prone to uneven ripening. Then I bring them inside when they reach one third yellow. They will get more yellow in a day or two but eat before they get mushy.

Take a slightly soft/one that has some give to it/ half yellow/half green sweet tart off the tree and eat immediately. The entire fruit will be delicious. With green part slightly more acidic.

Thanks for the great tips!

cameroda

• USA; SE Florida; Tequesta
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2021, 11:07:55 AM »

Thank you for this- I was just coming on to post for the first time to ask about when to pick ST.   
Mangos-Fairchild, Pickering, Rosigold, Carrie, Sweet Tart and Dwarf Hawaiian; Avocados-Oro Negro, Choquette and Florida Hass, plus Wurtz, Bacon and Oolala grafts; Bananas-Apple, Ice cream, Namwa, Raja Puri and Goldfinger; Hawaiian Solo and Red Lady papayas.

ZackeryBeattie

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2021, 03:29:06 AM »
I purchased a kesar and planted it. This year, the tiny tree bloomed and produced fruit without being sprayed. Based on my limited observations, it appears to be a fruitful tree. This tree's fruit reminds me of alien eggs.

I enjoy using the mangos from my tree to make Mango Syrup and Oil with cream chargers and a cream syphon.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 10:06:18 AM by JakeFruit »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2021, 10:18:25 AM »
I purchased a kesar and planted it. This year, the tiny tree bloomed and produced fruit without being sprayed. Based on my limited observations, it appears to be a fruitful tree. This tree's fruit reminds me of alien eggs.

I enjoy using the mangos from my tree to make Mango Syrup and Oil with cream chargers and a cream syphon.
...except I am not a real person.
John