Author Topic: Rats gone carnivorous  (Read 1599 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Rats gone carnivorous
« on: June 26, 2021, 02:25:54 PM »
Like probably most of us on this forum, I also have some problems with rats, generally consisting of them eating my walnuts and dormant plants over the winter, in the basement. BUT  I definitely did not know they were performing as ferocious predators as well!!
The other day I was out in the garden on a hot sunny day and saw some strange movement in some shrubs in the yard, on a close inspection I found a rat which had caught one of my frogs which live in my two ponds. I scared him and he quickly hid somewhere, leaving the frog in convulses laying on the ground ,with two wounds from the rats teeth. I put the animal in the pond it took the rest of the day to fix itself from the shock and to start moving as usual.....

canito 17

• Puerto rico
    • View Profile
Re: Rats gone carnivorous
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 05:54:16 PM »
I my case in Puerto Rico, rats eat  small chicken alive .This is thanks to Cristobal Colon .La Pinta, La Niña y La Santa Maria.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 01:15:09 AM »
I my case in Puerto Rico, rats eat  small chicken alive .This is thanks to Cristobal Colon .La Pinta, La Niña y La Santa Maria.
I know of such a case here in my village also, they ate baby chickens and eggs that were incubated by a chicken. Nasty creatures ....

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 10:01:23 AM »
Rats are omnivores, and take it to the extreme.

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 02:24:28 PM »
Rats are omnivores, and take it to the extreme.

Yeah, Rats are definitely omnivores!

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2021, 05:25:33 PM »
Florida is infested with rats. They seem to do well in the warm climate. Typically up north the only thing you see is mice except in big cities. Not Florida- the rats live in the woods or in people's houses. They destroy everything- they'll get inside walls, chew on anything they can find (including wires etc.).

Rannman

• Dragonfruit collector
    • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 06:36:49 AM »

Our rats and mice generally eat anything they can get their paws on, but occasionally our green tree frogs decide to take in a little extra protein. This one is chewing down one of our friendly geckos!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 06:58:07 AM »
As far as I know rats are opportunistic eaters. Usually are vegetarian but will eat anything in a pinch.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 08:06:55 AM »
Florida is not infested with rats by any means, at least not my property.
Lived here since early 2000's & saw 1 which actually looked like a big mouse or hamster.
They'd be a bite size snack for gators lol.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 10:28:04 AM »
Here they are exceptionally bad in fall when they sense its getting cold and start to seek warm spots for the winter/ my basement. Some of them get quite big, all of them are extra grouse haahah 😂😂

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 10:32:13 AM »

Our rats and mice generally eat anything they can get their paws on, but occasionally our green tree frogs decide to take in a little extra protein. This one is chewing down one of our friendly geckos!
I would like to see a giant frog eating a rat ,so I know there is karma in this world.
I know this has and is happening probably ,in the case of bullfrogs

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2021, 05:21:19 PM »
You just don't see the rats. I lived in Florida half my life. Never knew there were rats everywhere. Worked for a roofing company. The truck was full of rats. We never saw them. They just stunk up the truck and ate food if it was left in it. Leave a trap out and sure enough catch a rat. Then working for 1-800-Got-junk came across many houses that had rat problems- again you rarely see the rats, you just see the damage they do. Most of the woods in Florida has rats. They are so sneaky they will take the food off a regular rat trap without getting caught.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 05:29:23 AM »
You just don't see the rats. I lived in Florida half my life. Never knew there were rats everywhere. Worked for a roofing company. The truck was full of rats. We never saw them. They just stunk up the truck and ate food if it was left in it. Leave a trap out and sure enough catch a rat. Then working for 1-800-Got-junk came across many houses that had rat problems- again you rarely see the rats, you just see the damage they do. Most of the woods in Florida has rats. They are so sneaky they will take the food off a regular rat trap without getting caught.
quess u guys in florida have the perfect climate for them year round, also lots of biodiversity which does not help either. Are people trying to poison them ?? Sounds like its def worse where you're at...

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 06:16:30 AM »
Alberta Canada Province is a big area in the 50's they had everyone remove Norwegian rats,
,and that area has got rid of them

Rats like A warm source of heat so it must be easier there,

During Corona Virus would of been the best time to employ a large population to remove our rats

In Chicago They are bad sat at the park, and they bit my friends leg
I took a nap ,and one jumped on my chest looking in my face this has happened twice.
At least According to our Local News Chicago ranks #1, in Population but not a very reliable source

Does not take a rocket Scientist look at the Dumpsters it is level with the grocery stores
pretty chilling seeing huge populations running back , and forth to the food
(maybe 10 20 every few seconds just a bunch , and fast.)

By the way your not talking Nutra rats being Carnivorous
I thought it was common knowledge rats eat meat
(we do not have fruit trees like you down there
(I saw tree rats In New Orleans , but they are not like here at least in Chicago.)

https://www.alberta.ca/history-of-rat-control-in-alberta.aspx

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 01:30:18 AM »
I am guessing we are talking about Rattus rattus or R.norvigicus which are known to be omnivores like many others in the genus but there are some vegetarian rattus. Plenty of other non-rattus rats are carnivorous like my local 1kg water rats.
The green frog Litoria caerulea eating the rat is pretty unusual and a small muse would give a big one problems.Wild ones are known to eat small bats and captive ones eat dead rodents. Even the huge green tree frog Litoria infrafrenata doesnt take down rats and mice.I had a 14cm one at my place and a rhino beetle was its limit.In Australia frogs of the genus Cyclorana are known to eat mice on occasion.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2021, 01:57:46 AM »
Yes they are black rats, their fir is a dark colour.I knew rats eat everything they find, just was surprised to see them hunting.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 04:46:21 PM »

Interesting picture. Frogs don't (can't) chew. They swallow their prey. Most of them have upper jaw teeth which functions to grip the pray to facilitate swallowing.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2021, 02:44:56 AM »

Interesting picture. Frogs don't (can't) chew. They swallow their prey. Most of them have upper jaw teeth which functions to grip the pray to facilitate swallowing.
I have the suspicion that one of my frogs ate a baby great tit, they were nesting above the big pond and right after they went away from the nest I found a severed wing, floating in the pond.
Its interesting to me how I am disturbed by a rat eating my frogs, but then I am not mad at my frogs if they ate a bird, like I would help the bird if I saw the scene ,but would not discard the frogs because of it. Emotional attachment I guess makes the cut.

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2021, 03:31:37 AM »
LONGISH POST [SORRY] BUT HOPEFULLY USEFUL INFO ON RAT/SQUIRREL CONTROL . . . .

Lived many years in a wonderful old woodframe house built in 1925 in Tampa's Seminole Heights.

We knew that we had roaches but in Fall would start to hear rats moving into the walls, beginning when the year began to cool off before winter.  Rats would move to inside our walls to nest where it provided some warmth from the cooler outside temperatures.

Because we were having such a plague of (American) cockroaches I began researching on effective roach controls, like boric acid powder. But enventually read about Tokay Geckoes' favorite food being cockroaches, plus Tokays are nocturnal (as are roaches), are cold tolerant to about zone 9a,  live about 25 years, will stay in one part of your house as long as there is a food and water source (the kitchen), do not 'make friends' with the homeowner, and have very discrete and non-smelly toilet habits choosing to defecate in one hidden place all the time.  Plus the feces are dry thin, odorless flakes; a form in which eaten roaches became that was just fine with me!

All those things about Tokay Geckoes seemed very positive so I located some Tokays for sale at a local petshop.  Went and bought a juvenile about 9 months old who was only 9-inches long, but who would mature at around 12-inches when fully grown.  Paid $16.00 for him, took him home and released him in the kitchen whereupon he ran behind the 'fridge right away and hid. 

Only once did he venture into the bathroom on the other side of the house and got stuck in the porcelain bathtub which he couldn't climb out of. When I relocated him back to the kitchen he bit my hand hard enough for the needle-row of tiny 'teeth' to draw blood to my skin's surfare. He was quite strong in my grasp!!

But the trauma of being relocated back to the kitchen stuck with him apparently because after that he stayed in the kitchen where each evening he 'set up shop' on the edge of the kitchen counter where he could survey roaches up there and down on the floor.  He was very expert at stalking roaches and we could hear a sharp TAP aganist the wall or floor each time he would grab one.  Soon the population of visible roaches began to decrease.

Then he found his way into the kitchen walls to search for more roaches.  This proved a good thing in the long run, so now back to the autumn arrival of rats in our walls . . .

They came in each Fall to breed and nest their babies inside the walls.  I would wake up to hear the rat babies squeaking during the night when I was in bed sleeping. Apparently the Tokay could hear them, too, cuz he came looking for them.  He must've eaten one or two babies from the nests per night and after about four or five days, no more squeaking to be heard.  This happened again the next Fall and the one thereafter.  Each year, new rat nests with the babies eaten by the Tokay!

He lasted 12 years 'til we had to have the house tented for termites one year and he wouldn't let me catch him, so he died in the tenting.

He was a good investment, self-sufficient, unobtrusive –except for his singing which could be loud and sometime startled a guest or neighbor who was visiting us during the late afternoon or early evening!

He proved his worth and as a side benefit kept down our rat population (prolly fruit rats) somewhat by raiding the nests regularly each year. Plus I am certain that, given the right situation, a Tokay Gecko would raid squirrel nests, too.  Might be worth a try . . .

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2021, 04:51:15 AM »
LONGISH POST [SORRY] BUT HOPEFULLY USEFUL INFO ON RAT/SQUIRREL CONTROL . . . .

Lived many years in a wonderful old woodframe house built in 1925 in Tampa's Seminole Heights.

We knew that we had roaches but in Fall would start to hear rats moving into the walls, beginning when the year began to cool off before winter.  Rats would move to inside our walls to nest where it provided some warmth from the cooler outside temperatures.

Because we were having such a plague of (American) cockroaches I began researching on effective roach controls, like boric acid powder. But enventually read about Tokay Geckoes' favorite food being cockroaches, plus Tokays are nocturnal (as are roaches), are cold tolerant to about zone 9a,  live about 25 years, will stay in one part of your house as long as there is a food and water source (the kitchen), do not 'make friends' with the homeowner, and have very discrete and non-smelly toilet habits choosing to defecate in one hidden place all the time.  Plus the feces are dry thin, odorless flakes; a form in which eaten roaches became that was just fine with me!

All those things about Tokay Geckoes seemed very positive so I located some Tokays for sale at a local petshop.  Went and bought a juvenile about 9 months old who was only 9-inches long, but who would mature at around 12-inches when fully grown.  Paid $16.00 for him, took him home and released him in the kitchen whereupon he ran behind the 'fridge right away and hid. 

Only once did he venture into the bathroom on the other side of the house and got stuck in the porcelain bathtub which he couldn't climb out of. When I relocated him back to the kitchen he bit my hand hard enough for the needle-row of tiny 'teeth' to draw blood to my skin's surfare. He was quite strong in my grasp!!

But the trauma of being relocated back to the kitchen stuck with him apparently because after that he stayed in the kitchen where each evening he 'set up shop' on the edge of the kitchen counter where he could survey roaches up there and down on the floor.  He was very expert at stalking roaches and we could hear a sharp TAP aganist the wall or floor each time he would grab one.  Soon the population of visible roaches began to decrease.

Then he found his way into the kitchen walls to search for more roaches.  This proved a good thing in the long run, so now back to the autumn arrival of rats in our walls . . .

They came in each Fall to breed and nest their babies inside the walls.  I would wake up to hear the rat babies squeaking during the night when I was in bed sleeping. Apparently the Tokay could hear them, too, cuz he came looking for them.  He must've eaten one or two babies from the nests per night and after about four or five days, no more squeaking to be heard.  This happened again the next Fall and the one thereafter.  Each year, new rat nests with the babies eaten by the Tokay!

He lasted 12 years 'til we had to have the house tented for termites one year and he wouldn't let me catch him, so he died in the tenting.

He was a good investment, self-sufficient, unobtrusive –except for his singing which could be loud and sometime startled a guest or neighbor who was visiting us during the late afternoon or early evening!

He proved his worth and as a side benefit kept down our rat population (prolly fruit rats) somewhat by raiding the nests regularly each year. Plus I am certain that, given the right situation, a Tokay Gecko would raid squirrel nests, too.  Might be worth a try . . .

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==
great story !! At the part u said he got into the walls I thought he would have end up as rat food .Those geckos look cool af !